Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arturo View Post
    The nerd in me is also eagerly awaiting the Met Office summary and maps for the period March-May, although they already disclosed some info as seen in the thread earlier.

More of an overview but: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52877912

Comment

I wish it would bloody rain. Queues at the Co-op are non existent when it rains.

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo View Post

I sympathise. I'm just thankful that I'm not at my current workplace five days a week right now, mostly because the immediate area has no redeeming features whatsoever and is pretty bleak. I'm also gutted that we've missed our holiday in Scotland and any other potential day trips, especially when I think of how our last long break was absolutely rain sodden.

On the flip side, I'm eternally grateful that I live somewhere with nice places close by and that I'm not in the position of some people up here who have been trapped indoors for weeks. The nerd in me is also eagerly awaiting the Met Office summary and maps for the period March-May, although they already disclosed some info as seen in the thread earlier.
        There's a press release here https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-u...-and-may-stats

Comment

Darkening skies here, feels like it will break soon. The other night I made it through the evening without needing to switch the downstairs lights on, whereas I'm thinking now I should get up and switch them on and it's only 4pm.

Comment

Yes, the weather's about to turn, unfortunately.
            Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 02-06-2020, 21:38.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
              So, speaking of weather, is there a simplish internet way of finding the weather in Newcastle upon Tyne on two dates in 1971?
              Local newspaper in central library up there? MrsNoSugar worked a summer job there while doing A levels in 80s and she tells me they kept both The Journal and Evening Chronicle back then. She doesn’t know if they still do. They may have been transferred onto the internet? We both agree it’s 90% likely to be grey and cloudy or pissing down by the way.
              Does the British library at Kings Cross hold local papers?

I think I did well in not going down the “it’s still not 1971” road there.
              Ha. Should’ve finished the thread.
              Last edited by White No Sugar; 02-06-2020, 21:17.

Comment

It is wet, grey, outright miserable out there this morning.

Nice petrichor smell though...

Comment

I'm currently doing an Open University course about the science behind the weather. It's coast ?170 and will take 100 hours of study to complete but I'm enjoying it. I'm not really sure I've understood the bits about humidity, saturated and unsaturated air, but it's good fun to learn more about what's going on out there.

Comment

Proper pissing it down now. The birds still seem very keen to enjoy themselves however; good on them.

Comment

India can't catch a break right now. After Kolkata, Mumbai.

Comment

The long spell of fine weather has certainly come to an end, hopefully but briefly.

When I popped up to the local high street a couple of hours ago I had to wear a sweater and a fleece and we've just had a fairly hefty hailstorm.

Good for the garden, as they say.

Comment

Thunderstorm in Harrow...

Comment

Are these virtual thon's offending someone?

https://twitter.com/iembot_okx/status/1269332308055609345

Comment

Serious rainfall across the south of the UK today, with South Wales being badly hit. Also flooding expected as rain falls across Hampshire, Wiltshire and Berkshire. This has been caused by air coming up from the south colliding with air coming in from the east along with lots of heat to aid convective activity.

Stay safe everyone.

Comment

Hovering around 30? today. In Cordoba, by contrast, 42?.

Question mark = little zero for temperature sign
                                Last edited by Sporting; 23-06-2020, 17:51. Reason: Diacritics up the spout

Comment

Sporting Just use a superscript lower-case O, like so: o

Comment

No overall consensus for any storms Thursday and Friday, but a possibility right now for Friday morning in the south-east of England.

Edited to add: Thunderstorm warning for the East of England just released. getting excited!

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...6-10d9a69fb4d9
                                    Last edited by Paul S; 24-06-2020, 09:20. Reason: Thunderstorm risk for the East of England!

Comment

Yes, I always look forward to a summer thunderstorm, as long as I'm not out in it.

Currently 29.8C in the shade in my back garden. Nice breeze though. It's already hit 31C at Heathrow.

Comment

It’s positively Med holiday weather here today. Blue skies, temp about 30, and a warming breeze. Shame I haven’t got a pool or strolling-distance sea to cool off in, nor an Ionian island taverna on the waterfront to look forward to this evening.

Comment

I had a folding chair delivered by Argos this morning, and have had a good four hours sat out in this. I know I'm going to pay for it tonight, but I've got a few days off, and normally that coincides with drizzle, so I'm making the most.

Comment

That's good of Argos to let you try it out before requesting payment.
                                            Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 24-06-2020, 14:20.

Comment

28oC and very, very sticky here. I have put all my drinks in the freezer because I become very impatient in this heat.

Comment

The Met Office said the temperature hit 32.6C at Heathrow Airport at 14:26 BST on Wednesday, beating the previous record of 28.9C set at the end of May.
                                                Hasn't felt too bad in the flat today, for some reason. Normally it's intolerable above 25.

Comment

https://twitter.com/weatheroptics/status/1280237672909484032

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                                    That's good of Argos to let you try it out before requesting payment.
                                                    Underrated post.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X