Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
    Predicted 35mph winds and rain tomorrow at the time I'm due to be walking my son to a birthday party. Now, we usually walk in all weathers, but I'm thinking that might actually count as grounds for getting the bus or a taxi there.

Comment

Feels very mild off the wind at the moment. Wind alignement meant I did not notice it much overnight. Grim out there now mind...

Comment

Yes, not as bad as I'd expected so far. No obvious damage visible. Long way to go yet though.

Comment

The wheelie bins have been blown about a bit in a way that those of the neighbours haven't. I can only conclude that they've already filled theirs since the last collection on Thursday.

Comment

I'm going to go on dragons den for funding a wheelie bin securing kit made out of hooks and bungee ropes. I'll coin it in and move somewhere where it's never windy, like Guadeloupe.

Comment

TV aerials are being shaken from their mountings. I'm staying in, lest I get speared by a stray antenna.

Comment

Very windy in Norfolk and a few power cuts in the region. A47 blocked near my parents house due to a fallen tree, yet my dad is still insistent on going out for a coffee.

Comment

Squall upon my abodes right now, horrendous out there..

Comment

Whereabouts do you live MS?

Comment

Windy in Hackney. My pots are rolling around the terrace.

Comment

I was supposed to be doing a 10k race along the front at Southport about now. With the rain falling heavily and the trees next door being bent half over in the wind, I'm quite glad it was called off last night.

Comment

Spent the morning watching planes attempting to land at Manchester. Some diverted, some returned to their original start point.

On Twitter and FlightRadar obviously, I'm not stupid.

Comment

I'm in Barcelona at a conference which finished last night. Significant number of people here from the Uk and Ireland, all of whom are now stuck at the airport on indefinite delay (they've been told 5 hours but nobody believes that)

Comment

It's a bit windy round here.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                Whereabouts do you live MS?
                                In between Liverpool and Manchester, alongside the first ever train line... Gone quieter now, lights flickered for a bit at some point

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                  Spent the morning watching planes attempting to land at Manchester. Some diverted, some returned to their original start point.

On Twitter and FlightRadar obviously, I'm not stupid.
                                  I wondered what was going on at MCR. Tracked a TUI flight that had taken off from Manchester to Luton, had aborted a landing there, was obviously sent back to Manchester (where I noticed it because of its weird MCR-LTN-MCR flight track) where it aborted a further landing while I was watching it before circling around over Rochdale and trying a third one. I hope they're safe. They'd have dragged me off that plane screaming like a maniac.
                                  Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 09-02-2020, 11:32.

Comment

Half the rickety corrugated iron roof from next door's side alley is now distributed randomly around our garden. No point tackling it until the wind dies down.
                                    ​​​​

Comment

Man City vs West Ham postponed.

Reaction on Twitter seems to range from calling the players babies to asking about how it affects their fantasy league scores.

Comment

It about ready to kick off down here in my part of the southwest. It feels calm yet there's that eerie low rumble of a wind about to reek havoc.

Personally glad we're expecting no ships for the next 24 hours as it's got running around after broken ropes all over it.

Comment

At least it's stopped raining for now.

Comment

It's windy here in mid-Devon, nothing worse than that though. The promised heavy rain is yet to materialise.

Friends in Todmorden have had their cellar flood (for the second time in the last twelve months) and some of the nearby roads are closed for now.

Comment

We've had some fence panels blown down in Cambridge; it was poorly maintained anyway, and some sections had been leaning precipitously for a while. I can't find anything definitive about whose responsibility it is to fix it; a while ago we paid for some repairs to the fence on the right, looking out from the house to the back garden, and the neighbours to our left are convinced it's our job to maintain the fence on their side. Is it a matter of which side of the house it is, or where the fence posts are, or who shouts loudest?

Comment

Women's sport is a big loser from this - Arsenal v Spurs in front of a sell-out crowd in Borehamwood and Scotland v England 6 Nations in Glasgow both off.

If the storm had hit 24 hours earlier, I assume most Saturday sport would have been off; big day for Pools Panel?

Man City v West Ham: How does Sky fill the schedule, out of interest? How is TV money payment affected?

Flights: will there be enquiries on why some of these flights took off?

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
                                                  I was supposed to be doing a 10k race along the front at Southport about now. With the rain falling heavily and the trees next door being bent half over in the wind, I'm quite glad it was called off last night.
                                                  Saw that, my sister was scheduled to do it. The Cancer Research Winter Run in London was cancelled too - 20,000 take part. A group formed on Facebook to run it anyway, haven't heard how they got on. I was intending a long training run today, got up at 7am, looked out and thought fuck that, and went back to bed.

Major problems on the roads round here, lots of localised flooding and villages getting cut off. North-South rail travel seems to be cancelled altogether, and I've seen posts from people stuck in Edinburgh after yesterday's RU (with LNER reportedly charging top dollar to get people to Newcastle for onward to Carlisle).

Comment

Sun out, clouds gone, winds dropped a fair bit...lots of water around mind...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X