Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

The Flying Spaghetti Monster has been too busy hanging out in Canada:

"Light pillars are an atmospheric phenomena created when tiny ice crystals reflect either natural (sun or moon) or artificial light (such as streetlights)," says The Weather Network meteorologist Erin Wenckstern. "This type of ice crystal is flat and hexagonal in shape, and when they are suspended in the air, together they act like a gigantic mirror, reflecting the light source upwards or downwards."

They are known to appear during extremely cold nights, when ice crystals form closer to the ground, rather than high up in the atmosphere.

Comment

Talking of weather warnings, there is a wee hill range just outside Vegas, called Red Rocks, and the highest peak there is Mount Charleston.

There has been 56 inches of snow in the last few days, and we have warnings of avalanches. I thought that sounded a bit mental as I associate avalanches with mountains, then I looked up Mt Charleston, and it's over 11,000 feet!!! Fuck. That's nearly 3 Ben Nevii!

Anyway, avalanches. Not cool.

Comment

You do know that the state is called Nevada, right?

The basin-and-range system is just incredible for the number of very high ranges. You come to America and think the Rockies are the big hills, but in fact everywhere from the Rockies all the way to the edge of California are tons of big mountain ranges, many over 10000 feet.

Anyway, we're finally done with our weather warnings, and a state of emergency has been called in 50 California counties, including San Diego. I understand maybe in Mammoth and Tahoe where they have snow depths of 20 or more feet. Or in Sonoma where they've had multiple rain events with over a foot of rain in a week. Even in LA county, where we saw some crazy footage over the weekend of people jetskiing down the roads in Long Beach or Lomita or somewhere. But San Diego had a bit of flooding at a mall, and a dusting of snow on Mount Laguna, up near the start of the Pacific Crest Trail. Hardly State of Emergency stuff.

Comment

It's going to be a hard crossing for PCT thru-hikers this year...so much snow!

Comment

I was intending to whinge about the icy pavement this morning, and having to take little baby steps to minimise the chance of slipping.

Looks a bit crap compared to living next to an avalanche warning

Comment

Storm Doris has been doing her thing today in the south west by the sounds of things. Here's the effect on a train at Dawlish.

https://[video=youtube_share;7ByG_Ie...?v=7ByG_IeA5f8[/video]

Comment

Decent storm coming in, we haven't had many this winter.

Comment

That train driver is a fucking ninja, threading his/her loco through all that chaos and avoiding the worst of the breakers.

Comment

The HST just went for it...

https://[video=youtube_share;g9MGxqj...?v=g9MGxqjuiqc[/video]

Comment

Gusts of wind recorded in the Lake Tahoe area, of 199mph. Today.

Also warnings about an imminent dam failure, but not the same one as last week.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-california-storm-20170221-story.html

Comment

DorisWatch:

Bit blowy in NE Surrey, with intermittent heavy rain ands bright sunshine.

In summary - bearable.

Comment

Gusts of wind recorded in the Lake Tahoe area, of 199mph.
                          I wonder if they were the Northwinds that Lake Tahoe resident David Coverdale used to sing about?

Comment

Doris Watch (Merseyside branch): Trains off, ferries off, Port closed, fridges and wheelie bins blowing around outside the office window - might knock the lunchtime stroll on the head today, I think.

From further up the Costa del Scouse Mrs Trlb reports fence panel carnage and shed roof de-felting - that's my weekend planned out then....

Comment

Just had to go rescue the food recycling bin from down the road.

Comment

There was a broken tile on the ground outside our house this morning; can't work out if it came from our roof or next door's.

It's pretty damn breezy in Pinner...

Comment

Was great in Dublin, never got in to work so quick downhill with a storm force wind behind me, cycling home is likely to be a bugger though

Comment

Had to nip out for something, drove through the epicentre of the Great Stockport Wheelie Bin Massacre.

Comment

Erm, has anyone seen the lid for my compost bin?

Comment

Well, for anyone who is interested in thunderstorms, tonight is the night in the south of England. By God have we got a night lined up! Loads of stuff coming up from northern France, stuff developing over the Channel and beginning to make landfall over Devon / Dorset / Hampshire / Sussex and maybe heading up towards East Anglia. Over 400 lightening strike a minute at the minute over the channel, truly some great stuff.

Very excited.

By the way, a link to a rain radar map:

Netweather radar

Comment

Flooding in Sri Lanka displacing tens of thousands.

Comment

F*ck me, over 500 lightening strikes a minute across the channel right now. This is incredible!

Comment

Paul S wrote: Well, for anyone who is interested in thunderstorms, tonight is the night in the south of England. By God have we got a night lined up! Loads of stuff coming up from northern France, stuff developing over the Channel and beginning to make landfall over Devon / Dorset / Hampshire / Sussex and maybe heading up towards East Anglia. Over 400 lightening strike a minute at the minute over the channel, truly some great stuff.

Very excited.

By the way, a link to a rain radar map:

Netweather radar
                                              Just heard the first roll of thunder. I expect to be seeing my daughter shortly.

Comment

Had an absolute cracker of a storm here in south Wales in the early hours of Saturday – woke me up just before 4 as it slowly rolled over, hundreds and hundreds of lightning strikes across more than hour all told, collating others' reports too. Never seen anything like it.

I think it was the rain sweeping over us that woke me up, or maybe the 'giant tea-tray' rattle of thunder, although it wasn't actually that sonorous or loud. I threw on some clothes and went to check the cat was OK, found he wasn't in and so chucked a towel over my head and went and retrieved him from where he was cowering behind some stuff against the outside wall of the house.

The rain though blew over in only about ten minutes, after which we both went back outside and just watched with interest as the thunder and lightning gradually moved onwards: it was quite amazing to be out there and viewing it as if a picture show without getting at all wet or cold or windblown myself. Ended up standing at my bedroom window for half an hour or so watching it disappear northwards behind the hill. Was a pretty nice way to start my birthday!

Comment

I saw a few photos on the BBC News app of the storms in southern England last night and they looked very like the ones we get here, with the difference that lots of people had nice open non-urban places to watch them from, which made me a bit envious. When you've got lightning streaking horizontally inside clouds it's just awesome (in the fullest, most original sense of the word).

Comment

It was super loud in London, possibly the loudest and longest thunder I've ever heard, but the lightning didn't seem all that amazing. I mean, it was impressive by London standards, but I think there were more strikes in the big storm a year or two back which really felt like a tropical storm.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X