• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ee

It's a bit parky this morning

​​

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
      Yikes, look at the forecast for Cairngorm mountain on Sunday, not a day to be out on the hills, just the 105mph forecasted!
      kph, surely?

(Still a bit roo though!)

Comment

Nope, definitely mph. To be fair, gusts of wind over 100mph over the Cairngorm mountains are not uncommon.

Comment

Nope, definitely mph. To be fair, gusts of wind over 100mph over the Cairngorm mountains are not uncommon.
          Fair enough

Comment

Storm Ciara is expected to be our worst storm since 2013. Hold onto you hats everyone!

Comment

Potentially regretting coming down south this weekend as Sunday seems pretty much a complete write-off and I'm facing an awkward journey back to the North East on Monday if the storm is as bad as predictions suggest.

Greater Anglia and LNER are advising people not to travel on Sunday and that disruption may go into the following day. I don't really fancy eating into a days leave on Tuesday, but that's what could happen if I get stuck or arrive back at stupid o'clock on Monday night.

Comment

Would Central Park be closed apart from essential services in this case? Public parks here are shut when the weather's haywire.

Comment

No, that virtually never happens, in part because of the sheer volume of points of entry

As is often the case following such winds, it is crystal clear this morning.

Comment

Lovely morning, I was out on the bike earlier. The calm before the storm...

Comment

Given that I'm the first person here to encounter most of these storms I should probably be more active in this thread, but there's too many of them for me to get that excited. It's fucking horrible out. and I've got to go and vote.

Comment

Much as I enjoy a good storm I'm genuinely a little concerned at what tomorrow's going to bring, with particular regard to my roof.

Comment

Stunning, glorious day in Norfolk too. If ever there was a calm day before the storm, this is it.

Amber warning now for everything south of a line stretching from Cumbria to Hull.

Comment

Went out to Aldi just now which means taking a track across fields that are of slightly higher elevation this affording nice views across western horizon (including a big power station...), it's coming...

Comment

The BBC are predicting 40mph plus winds from 3am to 3pm tomorrow for Lancashire. It sounds like it's going to be a rough one.

Comment

The corresponding prediction for Cambridge is 40mph plus from 1am to midnight tomorrow - a 23 hour period. There's a five hour period in the middle of that where the predictions are 70mph or just one mph shy of that. That's the highest wind speed predictions I can recall for Cambridge since we've had the internet. I can't imagine we're going to avoid at the very least some damage (garden fences, roof tiles, other stuff) and inconvenience.

Comment

The Calcutta Cup is being played in the worst weather conditions I think I've ever seen rugby played in. Owen Farrell just saw a penalty attempt blow back away from the posts from 20 metres out. They'd have suspended golf as unplayable in these conditions.

Comment

Hope we don't get a sting jet with the storm as that would be very nasty.

Comment

Predicted 35mph winds and rain tomorrow at the time I'm due to be walking my son to a birthday party. Now, we usually walk in all weathers, but I'm thinking that might actually count as grounds for getting the bus or a taxi there.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                        No, that virtually never happens, in part because of the sheer volume of points of entry
                                        Though I've read that it's "closed" anyway from something like 12 to 6. If so how on earth is it enforced?

Comment

The weather down here in Essex is very calm at the moment, but all the birds have come inland and stopped flying. No seagulls, pigeons, crows or anything else has been flying this afternoon or evening. Quite strange to realise they know something that we don't.

Comment

The Emirates Dubai to Glasgow flight this evening (a Boeing 777 I think) made two attempts to land at Glasgow, but it was (presumably) too windy, so it went to land in Manchester.....

Comment

I am glad I am not on a plane...Anyhow, it must be pretty rough in Manchester too now. I suspect it's going to be a noisy night!

Comment

The weather down here in Essex is very calm at the moment, but all the birds have come inland and stopped flying. No seagulls, pigeons, crows or anything else has been flying this afternoon or evening. Quite strange to realise they know something that we don't.
                                                Yeah, but we do though.

Comment

Max wind speed prediction for Cambridge now back down to 60mph, phew. From now for about the next seven hours. Winds over 40mph till 11pm today. Fingers crossed.

Edit: global wind map here: https://earth.nullschool.net/#curren....79,54.29,1202

Comment

Working...
                                                  X