No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m just outside of Boston right now and the forecast for tomorrow has windchill temps at something like 3F! I’m not acclimated to this.

Comment

Yeah, it has gotten propah cold

Comment

https://twitter.com/NotifyNYC/status/1217998224792936448

Fact Check: True

Comment

It turns out that “feels like 1F” means “feels very cold when you go for a walk across the Mystic River to get a coffee”. I don’t really have a frame of reference for these numbers.

Comment

Some gorgeous Scottish sunsets: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51174308

Comment

Near Alicante a couple of days ago:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...ZUS0NrV2pJX2RB

Comment

How many of you have a headache over the past few days? Well you may be interested to know that it's down to record high atmospheric pressure in the UK right now. The UK record of 1053.6hpa set at Aberdeen in 1903 isn't going to be broken, but going over 1050 in the UK is very unusual. This sets off headaches, ears popping and TV reception being not very good.

The UK hasn't seen pressure over 1050 for over 50 years and London has experienced its highest air pressure for over 300 years. The jet stream is due to move back over the UK soon, so back to wet and windy weather. Hooray!

Comment

Interesting, thanks Paul. So logically people on the coast should have been able to see an unusually low low tide today, right?

Comment

Happy Imbolc, everybody.

And, “as Candlemas be sunny and bright
                    Winter is due another flight”
                    Last edited by Guy Profumo; 02-02-2020, 14:31.

Comment

Storm Ciara is forecast to hit us Saturday into Sunday. At the moment the whole of the UK is down for a severe weather warning, but they usually only do this when they're unsure of the track of the storm. We'll know more by Friday.

Comment

It was proper foggy this morning, visibility at a couple of hundred metres at most in some places.

Still didn't stop idiots driving without their lights on or twunts doing 100 mph up the A414, mind you.

Comment

There has been some insane stormy weather showing on various models for early next week, hopefully toned down (at some point it was Cat 3 hurricane force winds hitting the South...)

Comment

Now things are beginning to look exciting. The wind speed for Sunday across most of the SE of England is forecast to be 50mph+ for a good ten hours or so from 8am. In addition, heavy rain will batter the area and the low has deepened slightly as it hangs over the west coast of the United States.

Comment

Very much the calm before the storm at the moment then because it's a gorgeous Spring-like day outside at the moment, albeit a tad chilly.

Comment

It is, and I should be going out for a walk, but there's too much to do.

Comment

Lovely frost this morning, even in London.

Comment

Well cold here, and I had to go to a funeral this morning. There is no colder place to be than standing around in a graveyard listening to a mass. On every level.

Been back about two hours now and I'm just beginning to feel my feet again

Comment

Lovely day but stuck in the office, gah...just a shiter version of the usual weather for the weekend, rain and wind, oh so interesting...not

Comment

I'm playing football tonight.

Comment

I’m not.

Comment

I fly back into Manchester tomorrow about noon and it's predicted to be nice and calm. On Sunday at the same time it's meant to be sleet and 40mph winds. That would have been a landing to dread.

Comment

I'm flying tomorrow at 8.30 am which means a drive across the Carpathians at around 5am (I'll leave home at 3). I've already been told the roads are bad and the forecast is for snow all night long. This could be a tad tricky.

Comment

Yikes, look at the forecast for Cairngorm mountain on Sunday, not a day to be out on the hills, just the 105mph forecasted!

Cairngorm, Grampians, Scottish Highlands, United Kingdom Mountain weather forecast for 1234m. Detailed 6 day mountain weather forecast for climbers and mountaineers.

Comment

The rain just isn't stopping. We're into a second month with — maybe — two days without precipitation. Even by local standards it's extreme, people are pumping out basements and crawl spaces two blocks away. I've lived here a long time but this is longest stretch I can remember. On the plus side it might cut down the number of local forest fires come Spring.

Comment

Record trans-Atlantic flights times recorded:

Norwegian flight DY7014 from New York JFK to London Gatwick on Monday 15 January 2018 completed the full duration of the flight in 5 hours and 13 minutes – the fastest transatlantic flight recorded on a subsonic commercial aircraft. The previous record was 5 hours and 16 minutes.
                                                    The flight carrying 284 passengers departed New York at 11:44am and arrived at London at 9:57pm – 53 minutes early.

The day before the record-breaking flight, London Gatwick-based Captain Pascal Niewold recorded his fastest ever transatlantic flight of 5 hours and 20 minutes while flying the Boeing 787 Dreamliner from New York to London on Sunday 14 January. The flight had a maximum tailwind of 195 knots (224mph) and reached a top speed of 779mph.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X