Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

Psychologically it would scar me for life if I can't guarantee that when I close my front door at night, I won't wake up the following day with my sofa floating on polluted water (or worse).

It also feels worse than wind damage in the sense that floods destroy your property from the ground up whereas wind rips your roof off but may leave the bottom tier untouched. That's why we fear storm surge as much and sometimes more than high wind in hurricanes.
    This. The photos my friend sent look horrendous and at that point the water was still rising. Everything on the ground floor is destroyed. All the garden furniture is floating in filth. They'd apparently just spent quite a bit of time, money and effort, doing the house up nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
      Watching Johnson mop is embarrassing
      Considering he probably takes a photo of one into the barber and asks "this, please", you'd think he'd know what a mop is...

...and that's the extent of my attempts at satire. I'll be on Mock The Week before you know it.

Comment

It's seems like it's been an incredibly wet autumn in the UK but, for most areas apparently, not unusually so: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50572041

I remember autumn 2000. Wasn't it the wettest in 350 years of records or something? My wife was pregnant with our first child and I remember antenatal visits to the hospital in the pouring rain and then, after our son was born, in early November, wanting to get out of the house but walking to the window day after day and just seeing it hammering down. Not really what you want when you're trying to manage the pressures of parenthood for the first time.
        Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 18-12-2019, 22:11.

Comment

Visually impressive "snow squall" has arrived in 15 minutes and created near white out conditions over the river

Comment

Love a good snow squall. Spent the last 15 minutes mercilessly teasing the guy who just came back from being out of the office to get his shoes shined.

Comment

" get his shoes shined " where did he come back from, 1947?

Comment

Even as the squall was happening, the weather app on my iPhone was reporting 34F and Mostly Sunny.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                  " get his shoes shined " where did he come back from, 1947?
                  Here we still have a few knife sharpeners doing their rounds.

Comment

Do they have any good stock tips?

Comment

Fair bit of flooding and impassable roads round our way in SW Kent/East Sussex. Some poor sods in Lamberhurst were fixing flood defence barriers to their front doors near the River Teise (a Medway tributary) as the waters were breaching the banks. Many fields near us are under water, but I guess they are doing their flood plain job. Fingers crossed we don’t get another dump of rain...

Comment

It has rained all day and it's very windy.

Comment

One of those rare occasions where a forecast of 24 consecutive hours of rain was actually realised.

Looks to be clearing at last

Comment

It’s been dry here all day, but it’s been snowing in the mountains. I’m very glad to have got off the higher ground yesterday and home this morning. It looks like we’re finally about to get a decent run of a couple of weeks of sunny(ish) days. The struggle through the first part of the winter has been real.

Comment

I think the rain has stopped, but it's still windy. Blustery is a good word.

Comment

The weather in the UK has finally picked up after a dreadful autumn and start to the winter when we could barely manage a rain-free day. It's been clear and not too cold for the last week or so, quite glorious. There have still been some oddities though. A few days ago we had a record late-December nighttime temperature when Cassley in Sutherland hit 16.8 C at 3am.

Comment

Is that a record high or low?

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                                    Is that a record high or low?

A record nighttime late-December high. It's probably not far off a record daytime high either I'd imagine. For instance, the nearest big town, Inverness, has a record (all-day) December high of just 11.4 C so to hit 16.8 C in the middle of the night in Northern Scotland is astonishing.

Comment

I didn't realize you were talking about Northern Scotland. I somehow (mis)read Sutherland as Sunderland. Apologies.

Comment

No worries. That reading was a late-December nighttime high not just for Scotland but for the UK as a whole. The fact that it came in Northern Scotland rather than say SW England seems remarkable but perhaps less so when you consider the contribution of the Foehn Effect to the record high and the distribution of the country's mountain ranges.

Comment

It's depressing. Winters are supposed to be cold. Summers aren't supposed to be lethal. We have really fucked this place up.

Comment

Take that, says Cassley. Hold my beer, says Achfary: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...lands-50961612

Comment

. (Beaten to it!)
                                              Last edited by jdsx; 31-12-2019, 20:27.

Comment

Very dense fog this morning, which started overnight.

I can't see the other side of the river, let alone FF's gaff. Nor can I see more than two blocks in any other direction.

What I can hear are the Hudson barges' foghorns, which are always welcome.

By definition, these aren't conditions that lend themselves to photography.

Comment

I love the foghorns.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X