No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know if floodwaters have actually gone inside Meadowhall? Back in 2007 when I was a sustainability consultant, photos of a flooded Meadowhall were our best tool for trying to get our clients to invest in flood plans / flood defences and / or offload any of their properties that were on flood plains. I believe that Meadowhall invested in some pretty hefty flood gates. Would be very interested to know if they work.

Comment

I think the reporter on the BBC 10 O'Clock News said that the new flood defence by the River Don had been overtopped.

Comment

Oh yay! We're having a polar vortex come through. So excited.

(I'm not excited)

Comment

We had a bit of rain here yesterday, leading to some watercourses overtoppi glub glub glub bubble.

Comment

I think Meadowhall itself has remained unbreached - the reports suggest people stuck overnight there were in the Oasis, which is on the bottom floor and quite close to the river. The water seems to have been dispersed elsewhere, there's a picture of huge flooding on the road that leads from M1 junction 34. They've certainly put a lot of effort into defending the centre itself, there was a lot of disruption on the roads a couple of years back while they upgraded the defences.

Meanwhile it stopped raining at some point during the night and the river levels (which reached a height greater than in 2007) are starting to go down a bit. Rotherham station has flooded to the extent the water has almost reached the platform. No trains for us for a while then.

Comment

My friend's mum in South Yorkshire is in an area with the highest alert. She was flooded out in 2007 (for twelve months) and had a near miss a few years later. The current water levels have got as far as her street but not quite reached her place thankfully. She's always at risk where she lives.

Comment

Looks like the New York's not been affected. Building on top of six feet of rubble appears to have paid off.

Comment

Wednesday also reported to be unaffected.

Flood wall not been breached

Though club has said if river banks collapse that will be reviewed

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo View Post
                    My friend's mum in South Yorkshire is in an area with the highest alert. She was flooded out in 2007 (for twelve months) and had a near miss a few years later. The current water levels have got as far as her street but not quite reached her place thankfully. She's always at risk where she lives.

Grim. Fingers crossed for her.

I'd hate to live in a flood-risk area. Every weather forecast for heavy rain in the area would start my stomach churning.

I very deliberately bought a house 450ft up a chalk hill.

Comment

Thanks NS. All okay at the moment as far as I know.

I don't recall my friend ever saying she had significant problems before 2007 if any at all, so this appears to be a relatively recent development. His mum has lived there a fair while too.

Comment

I hope they're not down Donny way, the river levels are still rising down there as the water makes its way through the system. Plus it's raining again.

There's been three big floods round here in my lifetime, the great flood of 2000 (when pretty much the whole country got it), the greater flood of 2007 and now this which is similar to the latter. We were told the 2007 flood was a once in a century event and now we've got a second a dozen years later. Mmm.

On a lighter note I laughed at the reporter on the lunchtime news describe the flooding as "a fluid situation".

Comment

Best of luck to all.

FF wasn't joking about the polar vortex. It was below freezing last night and is still struggling to reach 1‎°C.

It makes the handful of sailboats that are still moored on our side of the river look even more incongruous.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                            I hope they're not down Donny way, the river levels are still rising down there as the water makes its way through the system. Plus it's raining again.

There's been three big floods round here in my lifetime, the great flood of 2000 (when pretty much the whole country got it), the greater flood of 2007 and now this which is similar to the latter. We were told the 2007 flood was a once in a century event and now we've got a second a dozen years later. Mmm.
                            Yeah, it's around South Elmsall way. Frickley Athletic's pitch is underwater by all accounts.

Comment

Meanwhile, there's been a fatality as a woman has been swept away by floodwater.

Tragic news.

Comment

That's a lot of snow to fall in an hour.

Comment

My friend's parents in Doncaster have had their house flooded. They're insured but it's still a horribly stressful situation that will take months, if not years to recover from.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Grim. Fingers crossed for her.

I'd hate to live in a flood-risk area. Every weather forecast for heavy rain in the area would start my stomach churning.

I very deliberately bought a house 450ft up a chalk hill.
                                    I deliberately bought a flat on the 34th floor. I've lived through floods and dealt with the aftermath. No more. If this place floods, everybody's fucked.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                                      Oh yay! We're having a polar vortex come through. So excited.

(I'm not excited)
                                      Actually it is THE polar vortex instability pushing arctic air down to your latitudes (/pedant corner)

Comment

Isn't there one at the south pole too? /snarky comeback

Comment

Good point.../winkey thing

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                            My friend's parents in Doncaster have had their house flooded. They're insured but it's still a horribly stressful situation that will take months, if not years to recover from.
                                            Sorry to hear that. I really feel for them.

My friend's mum seems to have escaped the worst so far thank goodness. Close call mind.

Comment

Given there was no lake at Fishlake, shouldn't the name be a bit of a clue when it came to inundation?

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                                Psychologically it would scar me for life if I can't guarantee that when I close my front door at night, I won't wake up the following day with my sofa floating on polluted water (or worse).

It also feels worse than wind damage in the sense that floods destroy your property from the ground up whereas wind rips your roof off but may leave the bottom tier untouched. That's why we fear storm surge as much and sometimes more than high wind in hurricanes.

Comment

Johnson's response has been a disgrace. Corbyn forced him into action with a cobra meeting and then a visit to the area. Watching Johnson mop is embarrassing, a pity that Rees Mogg didn't accompany him.

Comment

Meanwhile, in Venice

The Basilica itself has been invaded by significant volumes of water for only the sixth time in 1200 years. Three of those occasions have been in the last 20 years (and two in the last two).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X