No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here we go then! I love a weather record.

Currently 26.1C in North Surrey with a lovely cooling breeze.

Comment

Very pleasant in Manchester now, nice breeze helping things.

Comment

Ah, shorts at work. Still, I'll probably get frostbite with our air con...

Comment

I was sweating all day, met Ms F at 5 for tea- sat by an open window but with not a breath of air.

So the aircon in the cinema (Varda by Agnès) was a huge relief at first but I ended up coughing and protecting my chest with a tote bag

Comment

Some geeky data from Netweather, Heathrow measuring station was showing 33.1c at 11am.

Essentially all down to cloud cover now, but hard to see the 2003 record not being beaten today...

Comment

The breeze has died down here but the temperature is only climbing quite slowly, currently at 28.8C.

According to the Beeb, Heathrow reached 31.6C by 10am so we're well on course for the record.

The really high readings tend to come in early from Wisley, Kew and the West London airstrips but then somewhere in North Kent tops them all much later in the day.

Comment

Kew Gardens reported as hitting 34C before noon.

Comment

Current reading for Royston - 35.7C. And climbing...

Edit - unofficial, but knowing the person taking the readings likely pretty damn accurate.

Comment

Relentless temperature climb. The July record will be broken in the next hour at this rate. Feeling much warmer and humid up here now...

Comment

Yeah, see this temp chart. Very limited decrease in the gradient so far.

Comment

The temperature has bounded up to 31.1C in my back garden. I'll be fascinated to see what it tops out at today.

Comment

Clouds are starting to appear more and more, affecting the best area for the record to be broken. As things stand, Cambridge looks a good bet location wise....

Comment

So, 32.1C at 1pm.

I'm giving serious consideration to having a cold drink.

Comment

Comment

Wimps the lot of youse!

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                  Wimps the lot of youse!

Pah!

I bet you put an overcoat on when the temperature drops below 20C!

Comment

The locals do, yes...and me a jumper.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                      Wimps the lot of youse!
                                      The woman sitting next to me is from Madrid. At the courses I'm responsible for there are about 20 people from all over Spain from Cadiz to Barcelona, (including a couple from Murcia and Alicante). All of them are wilting in this heat. The temperature may not be that high but combined with humidity and all the rest of the way that the UK is built for cold weather (building construction, no air conditioning, carpets everywhere etc)

Comment

Heahtrow at 36.9 so July record is broken....

Comment

Max according to the unofficial Royston weather station is now 38.6C. As of three minutes ago. It's still going up as well.

Comment

Ooooo.

Doesn't the Met Office recognise it and if not, why not?

Comment

You all have my sympathies. 39C in Britain will not be like 39C in a place that has dry air. And is not like 39C in a place that's used to hot weather and therefore has decent air-con, or houses and a culture built to deal with serious heat. It'll be miserable in a way that 39C is not miserable here.

Comment

Quite a bit of cloud in my neck of the woods but we're still up to 34.7C.

Comment

Hmmmmm - my back garden readings are now 39C+ which I presume is a mis-reading, or at least I really hope it is!

Although the measurement device is cheap and cheerful I calibrate it against official readings at a nearby weather station and it usually seems to match up.

Interesting.

Comment

37.9 at Heahtrow, one last push....

Comment

Working...
                                                    X