Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would you?

Comment

I remember temparatures in Fahrenheit from the weather forecast/reports of my 1970s chlidhood, but we've long since changed to C in the UK - in the 1980s I guess, though I dare say someone else can give correct chapter and verse on that. Nowadays only C means anything to me, and I translate* from F to make sense of it.

Obviously the number 100 is psychologically powerful on any scale. As to whether it's at the right point for maximum relevance on the F scale, well I suppose given that nearly all individuals' healthy body temperature is between 97 and 99 F (it varies a bit from person to person), you can say any body temp over 100 is clearly a fever. More relevantly in relation to weather, you could say that 100 is a temperature above which your body most obviously must be having to make major use of cooling strategies, to maintain a negative difference to the environment and avoid fatal over-heating. But I guess that, what with internally generated heat of various kinds, the body needs to work hard on cooling already at significantly lower ambient temperatures.

* Edit: pretty readily I should add, a lot of the frame of reference (e.g. the F equivalent of each 5 degree C stage) is very much automatic recall.
      Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 23-07-2019, 09:13.

Comment

It's still bloody Centigrade to me, not Celsius.

Comment

I'm happy with C & F but then I am a bit of weather enthusist.

Comment

How long can you loiter around the chill departments in M&S before they call the cops, dya think?

Comment

Originally posted by George C. View Post
              Why would you?
              Why would I not?

I now have TWO fans! In your face, heatwave!

Comment

The first thunderstorms are beginning to work they way into the channel islands....

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                  I now have TWO fans! In your face, heatwave!
                  I think you are doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                    The first thunderstorms are beginning to work they way into the channel islands....
                    Get them up to London sharpish

Comment

The wife has gone out on an 80 mile bike ride, but the most I can manage today is to flop in the shade with a book. The garden thermometer is showing 35 right now (it’s in the shade too). Always know when it’s got uncomfortably hot because the Lab doesn’t want to go for his usual walkies and can only stir himself to trudge a few hundred metres for a dip in the nearest paddling spot.

Comment

I'm planning on being out for a bike ride this evening, best way to be active and enjoy a good breeze....

Comment

The sun is setting and it's still 24C. My best chance of sleeping tonight is to fall into some kind of coma.

Comment

Short but hot ride, wish i had planned a much longer one as i felt great.

Comment

Proper thunderstorm going on over Coventry right now.

Comment

Just arrived in Sheffield

Comment

Properly chucked it down last night. It wouldn't have taken much to keep me awake but that certainly managed it with some gusto.

Comment

Window open, 2am thunderstorm certainly woke me up...yawn

Comment

It was 2am in Cambridge too. Really apocalyptic stuff

Comment

Fuck me the Met is now forecasting 38 tomorrow.

Comment

60% change of the UK overall heat record being broken tomorrow according to Met. The July record is a goner for certain.

I'll add that 40c in the SE is being shown on a number of models at the moment...

Comment

I'm coping with the current hot weather in the SE better than I'd expected (or indeed have done in the past).

I think going on holiday to Florida earlier in the year - when it managed to be 35c and high humidity even in March on the Atlantic coast - has reset my internal thermometer somewhat.

Comment

It's just gone past 30C in the shade in my back garden.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                                                It is as the boiling point of water, I agree. In Fahrenheit it seems to be a relatively meaningless landmark - it's already been horribly hot since about 80, or 85, or somewhere around there. But I know you just wanted to show off that degrees symbol you've found.
                                                It's the otf equivalent of the secret handshake, dontcha know.

(Either that or "happy day")

- Be seeing you!

Comment

it's hot, innit. I'm sitting here in a towel and thinking of going swimming later.

I was awake to see the lightning last night and sat outside on the terrace watching it, with a little bit of rain falling. Tres refreshing.

Comment

Got my short sleeve linen shirt ready for tomorrow...i only wear it when 30c+ is on the cards...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X