No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a full ten degrees Fahrenheit cooler than yesterday, but still quite uncomfortable (at least for me). Thunderstorms expected later today.

Comment

It's been 30º plus here for a month or so and this is set to continue until September.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
        It's a full ten degrees Fahrenheit cooler than yesterday, but still quite uncomfortable (at least for me). Thunderstorms expected later today.
        What's that in "proper money", about 5½°?

Comment

31+ in Celsius

Comment

Guy (and other resident Brits): do you measure and weigh yourselves in Imperial or Foreign?

Comment

Imperial, same with height. My mind just can't comprehend the dimensions of someone who is 1.8m tall and weighs 90 kilos.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                Guy (and other resident Brits): do you measure and weigh yourselves in Imperial or Foreign?
                Stones and kilos.

We're clever enough to multitask.

And know how to pronounce both spell and pronounce phœnix.

And spell sulfur.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Always imperial, though I could tell you what my height was in centimeters, (not my weight in kilos though).

Comment

I'm not sure when the switch came for me from knowing things primarily in imperial measurements, to knowing and using both, to now when I translate anything I see in imperial into metric. I've rented a bike here in the UK, and whenever I see a sign in miles I have to mentally translate to kms. That;s quite a new phase, I used to be equally comfortable in both.

Comment

Any of our Londoners blacked out?

Our office in the City has been on backup generators for a couple of hours.

Comment

If we lose power, I'm going to have to emigrate.

Comment

On my hiking app distances are in miles but height gain/loss is in meters...go figure why i choose this configuration...

Comment

Elevation in feet has never made any sense to me, even before we were living in Europe. The units just seem too small.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                              Imperial, same with height. My mind just can't comprehend the dimensions of someone who is 1.8m tall and weighs 90 kilos.
                              Skinny. That persons dimensions are skinny.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

Skinny. That persons dimensions are skinny.

Those are pretty much my dimensions and trust me, I'm not skinny!

Comment

Yeah, 1m80 and 90kg is a BMI of ~27.5 for a male, with some variation of age/gender/ethnic group. 25-30 is classed as overweight as I know all too well from running my numbers through it, those being pretty well exactly 1m80 and 90kg! If we are taking 'skinny' to be underweight, then a 40 year old male would need to be less than 60kg to class as that.

Comment

It's set to be 37 degrees on Thursday. I may lie in the bath or under a damp sheet all day.

Comment

We had a big thunderstorm this afternoon, and I think more expected for tomorrow. Hoping that it breaks this heatwave for a while.

Teddy did really well. I looked around and didn't see him in the living room, but found him lying on the rug in the bathroom. I let him stay--if we had had a tornado, I'd be the one looking foolish for not being in there with him.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                        It's set to be 37 degrees on Thursday. I may lie in the bath or under a damp sheet all day.
                                        This is gonna be a rough ride. I'd normally deal with a period like this by sleeping through the day, but the last week of Le Tour complicates that. At least I have provisions.

Sporting, I do both imperial and metric depending on context, but the unit I can't relate to reality at all is Fahrenheit.

Comment

The one advantage about Fahrenheit is that 100º is such a psychological landmark.

Comment

It is as the boiling point of water, I agree. In Fahrenheit it seems to be a relatively meaningless landmark - it's already been horribly hot since about 80, or 85, or somewhere around there. But I know you just wanted to show off that degrees symbol you've found.

Comment

The BBC also gives a "feels like" temperature on its app. It's forecast to top out at 29C/84F around here but it'll feel like 34C/93F.

I'm going to live in the fridge.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                                                It is as the boiling point of water, I agree. In Fahrenheit it seems to be a relatively meaningless landmark - it's already been horribly hot since about 80, or 85, or somewhere around there. But I know you just wanted to show off that degrees symbol you've found.
                                                I've always had that symbol. Don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                                  I'm not sure when the switch came for me from knowing things primarily in imperial measurements, to knowing and using both, to now when I translate anything I see in imperial into metric. I've rented a bike here in the UK, and whenever I see a sign in miles I have to mentally translate to kms. That;s quite a new phase, I used to be equally comfortable in both.
                                                  I got my 1st bike computer/speedometer living in Madrid so it was set for km. I left it that way and still measure bike rides in km. It sounds like you’ve done a lot more

Comment

I have neither air conditioning nor a fan in my office, although I do have a nice woollen suit to wear.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X