No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mean the weather. I left my tshirt on otherwise that would have been wonderful and terrifying too.

Comment

Saw a good dozen blokes with no tops, when going up Snowdon yesterday...It was a bit freaky tbf...I was having my lunch right below the top, by a snow patch, in a t shirt...

Comment

Eggchaser egged me on.

Slightly warmer winters in the 90s and 00s, with a cooling trend this decade, and all within the normal range. The data set above (source: UK Met Office) looks homoscedastic; there is no statistical evidence of abnormal or out of whack winter temperatures in the UK.

In North America, the trend has been for colder winters and milder summers for the last decade or two.

(Please don't shoot the messenger!)

Comment

I assumed Eggchaser was joking.

Comment

I assume linus is joking, looking at his graph...

Comment

Conveniently ending in 2011 after a rare cold winter in the UK...

Comment

was wondering whether in response to Linus to post the statistics showing the last five years are the hottest years on record or a website called Tweet My Turd

Comment

Even if we ignore the most recent 5 years which are clipped from Linus's data, all bar two of the previous 15 in Linus's graph seem to be above the mean.

It is always worth noting, mind you, that the seasonal mean in a single location should not be used as a proxy for global data.

Comment

People, feel our pain. Show some sympathy to Inca and Me. It's been tough out here in SoCal this winter.

Temperatures in Downtown LA didn't get above 21C in February. People had to wear a second layer. The surfing isn't great...

The humanity! Oh the humanity!

Comment

Three days ago it was pushing 20° in Killarney, now it's snowing, climate change or not, it's weird.

Comment

We are supposed to get at least six inches of snow tonight, and while it hasn't really started, the City just closed all of the schools tomorrow.

Comment

As expected, the arrival of Spring in the UK coincided with a marked uptick of cold/snowy run in the models for the coming period. Nothing from the east at the moment so any serious snowfall will be for the uplands but transient snow at low levels is also possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post
                            As expected, the arrival of Spring in the UK coincided with a marked uptick of cold/snowy run in the models for the coming period. Nothing from the east at the moment so any serious snowfall will be for the uplands but transient snow at low levels is also possible.
                            Much of Cumbria got hit suddenly last night. I remembered to put my bin out at about 8pm and it was pissing it down, and about an hour later starting seeing reports on social media of snow in various places around the county. Mentioned it to my daughter who promptly went to the door to check and she excitedly shouted at me to come out and see - the whole street was covered. Later saw reports and videos of cars stuck on the A595, though it cleared overnight.

Comment

Bloody hell
                              https://twitter.com/StormchaserUKEU/status/1123267458209648640

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post
                                Nothing brings on the shitty weather like the opening matches of the Country Championship.

Comment

I'm guessing this isn't normal.

Comment

No. I've seen video of it now and I've never seen anything like it outside of North America

Comment

Some clips of it, showing people apparently completely unphased. Have they never seen Twister with Helen Hunt? There hasn't been anything like it in centuries, I'm told.

https://www.euronews.com/2019/04/30/...reckage-behind

Comment

"There's a massive tornado coming!"
                                        "Well, then. Let's make sure our minibuses are parked better."

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1134167242625683457[/URL]

Comment

Summer doesn't seem to have arrived in the UK yet and it's absolutely lashing it down in the SE at the moment. We've even been issued with a Yellow weather warning for rain.

It's all proved a bit too much for the rather old, spindly roses in my front garden, which have collapsed under the onslaught.

Comment

It's a horrible day today but, on the upside, my not getting around to repotting our tomato plants into the outdoors over the weekend has been vindicated in retrospect.

Comment

Flood / weather alert issued for Sheffield

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/weath...ownpours-71477

Comment

This is where we find out if the New York's been built high enough above the Don/Rother confluence.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X