No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been snowing in Vegas for 16 hours. Our end (SW) got away with only just over an inch (which looks to be slushy now). Summerlin (NW) got 4 inches. First time the snow has fallen (and lain) in the Valley for 10 years.

Comment

It has been a weird old winter here. It's not a normal El Nino set up which is what normally brings wet weather to Southern California. This is broken jetstream which is bringing rain from the north (which finally pushes east which is what's pushing cold moisture towards Gero). It's also meant that we've had way more frequent rain than we should have. We're at something like 200% of normal mean rainfall; Mammoth has had just under 50ft of snow this winter. All of California (apart from a tiny notch on the Oregon border) is out of D1-D4 stage drought. And it's raining again today.

Comment

It's bloody warm (well, 13 and sunny) gorgeous in Dublin today. It is of course forecast to rain for the weekend.

Comment

https://twitter.com/NYCMayorsOffice/status/1100010625550479365

https://twitter.com/NYCMayorsOffice/...10625550479365

The wind off the river has been incessant since last night. Gusts to 60mph.

Comment

The UK has just recorded its first 20C+ winter day, with 20.3C at Trawsgoed, Ceredigion.

My North Downs back garden is currently at 16.2C which isn't too shabby, (very much the temperature, not the back garden!)

Comment

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? 'cos it damn well feels like one. 19 degrees, cloudless sky, just a breath of wind. Not your typical February weather, that is for sure.

Comment

Yesterday in Cleveland it dropped from 55 F to 19. This was accomplished with the aid of some wind.

Comment

Bright blue skies 2 C and a Nor-Easter hurtling down the Fraser Valley that'll rip the skin off your face. Dozens of low-flying eagles looking for breakfast, mainly youngsters. The grown ups know better and have got it sorted already.

Comment

Today, top of Moel Siabod in Wales, sat by summit trig with a gusty wind blowing. I only had a light fleece, on top my tshirt, no gloves, no hat. Sat down for 15 minutes, confortable...

Comment

Pretty damned lovely here again. There's a nasty looking winter storm in Northern Cal and Oregon, picking up a ton of moisture from another atmospheric river. The jetstream that was dipping south last week has reverted to its normal pattern so it looks like it's all going to stay way off to the north, which is very nice of it.

Comment

Warmest February day ever recorded in the Netherlands, today. Record likely to be broken tomorrow, and again on Wednesday. The elm and hazel trees have taken this as an excuse to all release their pollen at the same time, so my hay fever is in overdrive. Small price to pay, though, for weather that feels like summer.

Comment

No jacket required on my lunchtime ambling. This is all very nice having 16 degrees in winter but kinda fucked up. Somewhere in fuckin Aberdeenshire went over 18 degrees last week. Sweet Jesus, that'd be warm for June up there.

Comment

We had 10cm of snow last Thursday/Friday, a lovely sunny weekend, and then a load of freezing rain overnight that produced sheets of ice on a lot of roads around here. Temperatures went above freezing during the day, which melted the ice... but -14 is forecast for tonight (-20 something with wind chill), so all that slurry will freeze again after dark. Our driveway slopes quite steeply down to the road, so I've just been out to clear it, otherwise I'll be sliding down to the road on my arse in the morning.

Comment

To paraphrase Ice Cube, today I didn't have to put my central heating on, today is a good day.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                                Warmest February day ever recorded in the Netherlands, today. Record likely to be broken tomorrow, and again on Wednesday. The elm and hazel trees have taken this as an excuse to all release their pollen at the same time, so my hay fever is in overdrive. Small price to pay, though, for weather that feels like summer.
                                "Small price to pay, though, for weather that feels like summer"- it's called global warming or climate change. and we're going to be paying for a long long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                  "Small price to pay, though, for weather that feels like summer"- it's called global warming or climate change. and we're going to be paying for a long long time.
                                  This is the weather thread, not the climate thread.

Comment

I can't help but wonder if the two might, in some small way, be related.

Comment

Shhh, you're going to get to get graphed by Linus.

Comment

UK winter temperature record topped - 21.2C at Kew Gardens.

Comment

Even warmer today, on top of Snowdon today. A few forlorn snow patches melting slowly away ..

Comment

Lovely in Vegas today. 66F and rising.

Comment

I still think we'll get some more snow this winter, even down in the south-east.

Comment

Saddleworth Moor is burning again alas, bad one too...

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                                                  Yesterday in Cleveland it dropped from 55 F to 19. This was accomplished with the aid of some wind.
                                                  What are those temperatures in proper money?

Comment

I lay out on the Sunlounger yesterday afternoon. It was both wonderful and terrifying.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X