How much rain falls

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied

What's "rainfall accumulation"?

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    https://twitter.com/PGDynes/status/1772391876177395829?t=EvrYHjSUPSEdxX6luNDK1Q&s=19

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    TV has just reported rain rates in the area of 5 inches an hour. It’s very wet. This is the storm that fucked me on my travel 2 days ago.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    They are and have

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    I hope they're OK. And I hope they stocked up their cabin/hotel room with several days worth of snacks.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Our nephew and his girlfriend went up to Tahoe earlier this week "to experience the storm".

Young people are built different.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post
    Just reading about 174mph wind gusts up there yesterday, wind speed expected to increase today...

Pretty insane stuff
    Yeah. It's worth remembering, though, that while these are hurricane strength gusts, it's not really hurricane force winds - it's high-ish winds that then get funneled up the valleys which accelerates up near the crest. Meanwhile, the UC Berkeley snow lab are reporting 101cm of snow so far from this storm, with another 2 days of storm to go. It might not actually hit the 10 foot forecast, but it's going to be a lot.

Leave a comment:

• Moonlight Shadow
    replied
    Just reading about 174mph wind gusts up there yesterday, wind speed expected to increase today...

Pretty insane stuff

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    It's sunny, the palm trees are looking pretty but it's hazy this morning and I can only just see the mountains.

But there are showers forecast for the evening and through the night, so we are seeing part of this storm. Further north things are different. The latest forecast now talks of up to 12 feet of snow in places. For those of you who don't speak 19th century, that 3.5 meters of snow. In a single storm. And up at the crest of the hills at the Palisades resort in Tahoe, they seem to have recorded a 145mph gust. I hope nobody is stupid enough to think they should still be enjoying their ski trip this weekend and they all stayed home instead.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul S View Post
    That follows on from the driest every February last year followed by the wettest ever March also in 2023. I wonder what March 2024 will bring for us.

Well, if the forecasts are accurate, the first half of the month is looking pretty wet in the SE though interspersed with a few sunny days.

Leave a comment:

• Paul S
    replied
    That follows on from the driest every February last year followed by the wettest ever March also in 2023. I wonder what March 2024 will bring for us.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    I realise that this isn't going to come as a massive surprise, but: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68435197

Leave a comment:

• Guy Profumo
    replied
    So, in like a lion where you are this morning?

Leave a comment:

• caja-dglh
    replied

Leave a comment:

• caja-dglh
    replied
    Yeah, we didn't let Master dglh eat the piece I brought in for him. It was a good storm though - I am trying to locate a picture that was on NBC of one of the funnels someone caught on camera. It is definitively "shit - that is big".

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    You'd want to catch it in your glass rather than pick it up from the ground.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Even though we have celebrated the 50th anniversary of the Clean Air Act, I'm not sure that I would use USian urban hail in a beverage.

Leave a comment:

• caja-dglh
    replied
    We had a good storm last night - 11 tornado's touched down, some decent hail (I got good enough to use in a drink, others got nearer golf balls), temperature dropped from Tuesday night to Wednesday morning by 70F. It is causing a lot of interest as while the storm was widely expected and predicted days in advance, all the activity broke all of the regular rules of a storm - like where you expect tornados and why.

This ain't meant to happen in February.
    Last edited by caja-dglh; 29-02-2024, 00:37.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    A winter storm is going to come through California this weekend (I think Amor is getting some of it right now). It's yet another atmospheric river event.

For us it's going to be just a few showers on Saturday - which is fine: a couple more inches of rain before October and we're around normal for the year. We don't need more atmospheric river action but some drizzly rain will help keep the hills green for a few more weeks.

The astonishing thing is in the Sierra Nevada. The forecast for up along the Interstate, near the Donner Pass, is for 100 inches of snow to fall between Thursday morning and Sunday morning. I've seen some forecasts of even more - up to 10 feet, along with 100mph wind gusts and potentially multiple days of white out blizzard conditions. If they've forecast right, it's going to be spectacularly messy.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    Shouldn't Holbeach's rainfall be closer to 389% of February's average, allowing for rounding errors?

Highest possible percentage: average 28.5mm, 2024 111.49999...mm - 391.23%

Lowest: average 29.49999...mm, 2024 110.5mm - 374.58%

Leave a comment:

• Moonlight Shadow
    replied
    The last two days have been a very welcome break for us further up north, even enjoyed a fair bit of sun on the hills...

Alas, back to normal by Tuesday. The form horse seems a through stuck over over the UK between two high pressure systems...

March is likely to be another grim month too, cold and wet...

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Cardiff has had 263% of the average rainfall for February and the month isn't quite over yet.

This was big enough news to get a mention on Countryfile

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    She just landed.

We got very lucky with the weather.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    ms ursus is scheduled to fly home tomorrow

One potential issue with that.