No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's blowing a blizzard in Stratford at the moment with an absolutely Baltic wind.

Comment

So when the met office say 'amber warning'; the cops say 'only travel if necessary'; the 2 major bus co.s say 'we're not running on those roads' ...my employer says 'come to work as normal'. (YesterdaY)

Huge delays and massive overcrowding on the metro, took an hour longer than normal, 2 students at the session, both Eastern European, natch- then the rumour goes around that we're closing at 12...took 40 mins ringing around to get even a hint of confirmation (I had a PhD student on the way in and a film club screening at 3) and they tried to tell me not to cancel the film club until the official statement had gone out (cos marketing is more important than safety, obviously).

Absolute shower. And I'm not talking about the snow. Closed today, lesson learnt.

Comment

My lot are like that too - never officially close in the bad weather as the head of facilities is scared he might look weak in front of the heads of the research divisions; reality is that with the exception of one twat (miserable workaholic who expects everyone in his little empire to be the same), the division heads are happy to tell everyone to keep away and only come in if it's utterly critical they do so.

Comment

Not stopped blowing and snowing since I arrived. There is a decent incline on the way from Victoria to where my stop is on the tram, I am wondering for how long the line will remain open....2.5 miles walk to Victoria, done it a few times, about 45 mins...in normal conditions. Got hiking boots and thermals under my clothes, almost relishing the "challenge"....

Comment

Originally posted by Big Boobs and FIRE! View Post
            Calderdale this morning.

Looks like the train is about to topple over.

Comment

Snow flurries but generally ok here, the main roads are fine and they traffic is light. But...

Our school's a PFI one which means whoever blinks first loses the money. Carillion provide the heat and couldn't manage to do so causing an email at 7.45 saying the school is shut. Most staff and children are already on their way.

Logic says close tomorrow and reopen on Monday. There's no news of course.

Comment

Some spectacular incompetence from Northern whereby the train that people have been waiting an hour for in the freezing snow, is being turned round at Rochdale to recover the late running. Except KRS is currently in place, which stops the use of points at non critical locations. So the train can't turn round. Instead it has gone empty to Victoria, exactly the place where the 200 odd passengers on the platform are trying to get to.

Needless to say, I have been using the time wisely.

Comment

And the tram line is closed entirely now.....doubt it will re-open today....

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post
                    My lot are like that too - never officially close in the bad weather as the head of facilities is scared he might look weak in front of the heads of the research divisions; reality is that with the exception of one twat (miserable workaholic who expects everyone in his little empire to be the same), the division heads are happy to tell everyone to keep away and only come in if it's utterly critical they do so.
                    Familiar pattern, we're the same, and despite a number of precedents - we like a bit of weather in Cumbria - there still isn't any sort of system for this, other than sending out a 'careful now' email, despite the fact that not everyone has a work phone or laptop. I didn't attempt to travel yesterday, and had to dig my car out to get off my drive, but have made it in today. There were times I wish I hadn't bothered, and I'm going to head home with my laptop after lunch and work at home tomorrow.

Comment

Plan B of getting to work by canal barge I'd thwarted by the Calder Navigation being frozen. The four day journey time probably still being a better option than Northern Rail.

Comment

Yay, office closing now!

Comment

A work colleague flew from City Airport to Amsterdam yesterday to see The Killers, and is flying back today. 6 hours late going out, 2 hours late coming back...

Comment

First of two outdoor event this weekend I was supposed to be working has cancelled. I'm not complaining, but it is a bit of a shame as it was the reopening of Levenshulme Market for the year and they are a hardworking bunch of people organising that. Always ended doing the event. Sunday is supposed to be in the Northern Quarter - I suspect they are waiting until Sunday morning to decide whether it goes ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Boobs and FIRE! View Post
                              Needless to say, I have been using the time wisely.
                              BB&F, earlier:

https://twitter.com/Hiroshiman_X/sta...997573/video/1

Comment

lol

Comment

In the BBC news report about stranded drivers, one of them said she had been stuck for six hours, but still had her seatbelt on! What's that about?

Comment

Anyone know much about this current cold snap from a climate change perspective?

https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonbiot/st...827246081?s=19

Comment

Not going to claim expertise, but I've seen the same explanation given as Monbiot. The arctic is 20 degrees warmer than average at the moment, and supposedly that's pushing the cold air south.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                        A work colleague flew from City Airport to Amsterdam yesterday to see The Killers, and is flying back today. 6 hours late going out, 2 hours late coming back...
                                        Jesus, what a glutton for punishment your colleague is...

Comment

Yeah. To be honest, I'd have to think very seriously about going to see the Killers if they were playing in my dining room.

Comment

So, in the next hour or so we need to decide whether to embark on the drive to Edinburgh for a wedding. Any inside info on how the M74 and M8/M80 are looking at the moment?

Comment

I usually use the trafficscotland website and twitter feed for this sort of thing. Anyone else's info (Police Scotland, BBC) is usually just lifted from there anyway.

https://twitter.com/trafficscotland?lang=en
                                              https://trafficscotland.org/

Comment

Brace yourselves people, I'm about to get techie and try to embed a pic (I have a feeling this is not going to go well as I think I'm doing it in a roundabout way)

[IMG]20180228_160409.png[/IMG]

I don't understand, the Insert Image function says that it accepts png formats from an url, which is what I've done (I think). I've used zamzar for the conversion, bet it's the wrong sort of site... I didn't want to register with a photo hosting site such as flickr, but is that the easiest way to embed a photo on here then? (to use a pic hosting website)
                                                Last edited by Pérou Flaquettes; 02-03-2018, 11:24.

Comment

You need the whole url. You've just put the file name which the site won't know where to look for.

Comment

Cleared the garden path and the footpath,It's snowing again but I've done my good deed,two days stuck in the house and I'm crawling the walls,I wouldn't mind but I'm on leave so three days down the jacks and a ton of work hitting my desk on Monday

Comment

Working...
                                                    X