No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As with most long train journeys, I'm getting a nice cross section of the weather today on the way to the frozen north. We're dodging in and out of snow showers, but only Lincolnshire seems to have had a proper dusting, especially on some of its hillier plains.

Comment

Travel chaos all over Italy, especially in regions that aren't used to this

Comment

Originally posted by SouthdownRebel View Post
        Snowing lightly in West Sussex as well
        Really, really lightly snowing, which is causing considerable excitement in the office that I work in.

Comment

Just a very small flurry so far in MK.

Comment

Just had another really intense snowfall for about 5 minutes, and it's bright sunshine again.

Comment

My god! All the buildings have collapsed too!

Comment

Well played

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                  Just had another really intense snowfall for about 5 minutes, and it's bright sunshine again.
                  That was precisely when I went out this afternoon. After that it was really very pleasant out there.

Comment

I was off this morning so i went out on my regular little fields trails loop at the back of the house (includes a 'hill' made of rubbish and covered with vegetation...). Normally a dire and muddy experience but today in lovely sunshine and frozen terrain i could have walked in white trainers...

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
                      Really, really lightly snowing, which is causing considerable excitement in the office that I work in.
                      We were instructed to take our laptops home today “just in case”. Embracing the concept of a 5% risk of a snow day is no way to run a business, apparently.

Comment

I live too close to town to justify taking the day off, though anybody in the Chapel Road/Richmond Road area of Worthing at around 7.45 tomorrow morning may be treated to my best "Bambi On Ice" impression should there be any snowfall tonight.

Comment

The cat got on the bed all snuggly and purry, just as I had to get up today. Was very tempted to work from home but just gave her a 5 minute cuddle.

I got a cab home slightly early and have ordered a food delivery. I was frugal at the weekend so this is my reward to myself.

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
                            I live too close to town to justify taking the day off, though anybody in the Chapel Road/Richmond Road area of Worthing at around 7.45 tomorrow morning may be treated to my best "Bambi On Ice" impression should there be any snowfall tonight.
                            Well, I work about 10 minutes from there so if I leave early, I might just make it...

Comment

Unusually for the Costa del Scouse, we've had maybe an inch of snow overnight - had to take it steady as I was only the second car to drive along the B road from our village (initially the third, but there were lurid tyre tracks of a 180 degree spin on one corner, so I guess whoever that was had their arse fall out and they went carefully back home).

Snowing harder in Liverpool, big soft flakes too, nowt on the roads of course but it looked lovely in Exchange Flags and Derby Square.

Comment

Just about to venture outside to feed the chickens and ducks, but from the patio window it looks like we've had a good 4/5 inches here in icy Tunbridge Wells.

One of the few downsides of having a work Surface Pro and secure VPN connection is that I've lost that almost childlike thrill of the unexpected 'snow day' off.

Comment

Originally posted by gjw100 View Post
                                  One of the few downsides of having a work Surface Pro and secure VPN connection is that I've lost that almost childlike thrill of the unexpected 'snow day' off.
                                  I lock mine in my desk when I go home...

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate les bleus View Post
                                    I lock mine in my desk when I go home...
                                    I carry mine with me. It enables me to work from home a couple of days a week thanks to an understanding (and remote) senior manager and, to be honest, the 'don't really give a stuff any more' freedom that retirement in 6 months brings with it.

Comment

Our local section of the London Overground is currently suspended due to 'ice and snow conditions', otherwise it's a beautiful clear day. Strong suspicion that 'ice and snow conditions' is 24/7 favourite 'signalling problems' with a seasonal rebrand.

Comment

A few centimetres in Newcastle, but not much more than we had last month. Everything is running as normal by the looks of it.

Back in Norwich, the local online rags are suggesting everything is chaotic, yet the pictures don't indicate particularly deep snow. The train service packed up early last night and appears to have barely got going today.

Comment

Nothing in Bromley or the city, thankfully.

Comment

Just to reassure everyone that "The Beast from the East" has not actually deserted the east in its quest to cause minor disruption to the UK. Took me an hour to drive the 15 kms to the town this morning, with heavily drifting snow, very slippery road conditions, and temperatures of around -20.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                              Just to reassure everyone that "The Beast from the East" has not actually deserted the east in its quest to cause minor disruption to the UK. Took me an hour to drive the 15 kms to the town lair of the giant snowman this morning, with heavily drifting snow, very slippery road conditions, and temperatures of around -20.
                                              Brings the story alive, I feel.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

That's some photo. But as hobbes sort of alludes, it does manage to look very post-apocalyptic.

Bright sunshine here in south London. Bloody cold night we just 'ad, though.

Comment

About four inches of snow here so far and still falling abundantly.

Comment

Pinner update: cold and clear.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X