• Show
Clear All

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Are you likely do to an ice-athon?

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied

People sometimes ask me: "Do you miss Britain?" I leave San Diego on the third, and leave Britain on the twelfth.

Leave a comment:

• Moonlight Shadow
    replied
    You do realise that after a couple of minutes, you'll be comfortable in 24/25c water (the usual temperature of the Med or the Atlantic around the Canaries). I am quite a wuss when it comes to cold water btw, my wife always look at me with a look of pity when I first dip into the sea whilst I am standing there bracing myself as if I was plunging in an ice pool

Leave a comment:

• hobbes
    replied
    See there are only 2 places in the world I’ve gone in the sea and not immediately got back out again.
    One was Jamaica where the water was about 30C and the other was La Manga on the bay side where the water was about 28C.
    Other than that getting in the sea can, well, get in the sea.

Leave a comment:

• Paul S
    replied
    I went for a swim in the sea at lunchtime and it was a tad cold. I'm still wearing my shorty wetsuit but I wear wetsuit boots, gloves and swim hat. I have a well rehearsed routine for getting in and coping with the hyper ventilation. Today was sharp but beautiful but the 3 minute walk back to my flat I felt the cold taking a grip.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Originally posted by hobbes View Post

Well yeah, obviously. Your point being?

Oh, er, nothing...

Leave a comment:

• Moonlight Shadow
    replied
    Unsurprisingly, I love this weather. No tedious rain to deal with. The park at 630am is a frozen wonderland, the dog also seems delighted by it.

Leave a comment:

• hobbes
    replied
    Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

You still in shorts?
    Well yeah, obviously. Your point being?

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Originally posted by hobbes View Post
    I hate this weather. I can't get warm even wearing a thick hoodie and with the heating cranked up.
    Just seeing it outside like it was this morning drains all the heat from me.

You still in shorts?

Leave a comment:

• hobbes
    replied
    I hate this weather. I can't get warm even wearing a thick hoodie and with the heating cranked up.
    Just seeing it outside like it was this morning drains all the heat from me.

Leave a comment:

• tuckwat
    replied
    My wife told me this morning that is snowing where one of ours is at university. Then she added that at least Kissinger will be warm.

Leave a comment:

• S. aureus
    replied
    It rained here this (early) morning, so my car wasn't covered in frost for the first time this week when I went out to take the kids to school. Apart from the covered in frost part (an irritation as it slows down a process where we're frequently already running a bit late) I like these kind of temperatures - it's supposed to be a little warmer a night for a while (8-10C, with maxes 15-20C).

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    California could always use precipitation, but ideally the rain would fall when I'm not here, or in the parts of California where I'm not. And right now, surprisingly, 0% of the state is technically in drought, although I think that's going to start changing fairly soon .

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
    More disturbingly, there are showers in the forecast overnight and tomorrow.
    Do you not need rain?

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
    It's been bitterly cold in the mornings here over the last few days - the same 7º mentioned above.
    Thank you for understanding.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    It's been bitterly cold in the mornings here over the last few days - the same 7º mentioned above. And that's likely to be sustained for most of the next two or three months. There's no overnight above 50ºF/10ºC in the 2 week forecast. At least it normally warms up a bit during the day. But the 15 miles we are inland is enough to make a big difference - it's a lot more temperate at the coast.

More disturbingly, there are showers in the forecast overnight and tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Discordant Resonance
    replied
    Originally posted by Sporting View Post

7º max and you say it's not cold!
    You've been in Valencia too long!

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    First night below freezing here

Leave a comment:

• Moonlight Shadow
    replied
    Nippy it is, frost and ice across the park during my lunchtime dog walk, only in the sunlight it has melted.

Deffo got the warm coat(s) out....

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
    You certainly couldn't call it cold by any means here in Kerry
    7º max and you say it's not cold!

Leave a comment:

• Discordant Resonance
    replied
    You certainly couldn't call it cold by any means here in Kerry, in that I've yet to break out the winter coat for my perambulations, but there's definitely been a frosty nip in the air since Monday, which lowers the "real temperature feel", as your weather apps might say.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Ethan
    replied
    Sorry to interrupt the pronunciation discussion but Perth is enduring bonkers temperatures for November. Inevitably bushfires are getting out of hand. Thunderstorms with no rain are a real threat as lightning starts most of these fires. Where we are you can be reasonably certain that fires starting early will not reach us as the sea breeze comes in. Last night there were still hot easterlies at 9pm. Homes lost about 20km south east of us. None too near us yet and it can stay that way, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    This discussion reminds me of trying to teach Chinese children how to say "v". They can do it if you teach them the mechanics, but it's not a sound that generally exists in Mandarin so if they're not concentrating they immediately revert to saying things like wegetables. Except in some parts of China where just to be confusing they pronounce "w" as "v" like my friend Wei who says her own name as Vay and gets very annoyed when other Chinese people try to correct her.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
    Even Elin? I can't work out if that one is Gaelic or Dutch
    Lots of Elins in Cymru. Didn't strike me as odd.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
    Many (many many) years ago I was on a train in Spain, and the couple in my compartment asked me where I was going. Having learned that "v" was pronounced as "b", I told them Valencia (but with probably a slightly too plosive and exaggerated b sound, reflecting my desire to pronounce it correctly). They looked concerned "This train is not going to Palencia". "No, no, not Palencia, Balencia" I tried again. They looked relieved "Ohhh, Bvalencia" they said, somehow managing to combine what I heard as the b and the v sounds in one (I guess number 2 in Sporting's post above). Since that time I always tried to do that, kind of make the sound as a kind of combination "bv" sound.
    On a different tangent during a bit of mild chaos in Germany recently (the incoming mainline train was late so they held back a local connecting train, so people were rushing between the two), an American tourist jumped on the train and asked me (in English of course) "is this train going to Bregenz?" and my reply of "I hope so" startled him a lot more than I expected.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X