No announcement yet.

How does your garden grow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apologies for the terrible photo. The white wisteria is now out and joins the purple which has been for a few weeks:

Comment

Comment

Could’ve stuck this in the WTF! thread. Not sure you’ll get the full “beauty” of this wood sculpture from my iPhone pic, but this is a local sight stuck in the front garden of a shabby bungalow

Comment

Designed to give local children nightmares I guess.

Comment

Our 11foot sunflower blew down during the night. Russian Giant. Grown from seeds. Get some ordered for next summer.

Comment

That’s a shame.

Mrs. S cut some Euphorbia Wulfenii from the garden to put in vases in the house. A bit different as the flowers are greenish. They are having their best year and look spectacular.

Comment

Along with some Acanthus Mollis.

Comment

That photo on the wall is my Mum attempting to interest me in kite flying in 1965-6.

Comment

I've got a couple of patches of acanthus molis in the garden but had no flowere at all this year. One lot are in a shady spot and the leaves quickly got mildew, but the other patch is in a sunnier area and just produced loads of green foliage. I reckon the loamy soil is too good for them. Either that, or snails scoffed the buds before they developed.

Comment

My first effort at seeds-seedlings-transplant worked well with the everlastings. Pretty happy with this use of the raised garden bed space (middle and youngest built it). Roses, lavender, grasses and a wisteria which will one day no doubt dominate the whole area. Might even break my duck with citrus, which I can never get to fruit.

Comment

We are past one year in the house so ready to make moves on the garden. It is well set up (peonies, hydrangeas, fricking hostas x 7 varieties) so is a nice case of shifting over time than huge fix. Though the front part we hate and is going to be a bastard to fix.

Anyway - 100 tulip bulbs and some giant allium planted in an ignored dead space this weekend. I also seem to have sourced Irish gold (grandpa Dickson) yellow roses, which are named after my step-grandfather. That whole project of sourcing took a a few months to work out and years to actually find. My step mother will be in tears when she sees I got them in there and how can you not embrace weirdly being connected to rose award winning history?

Comment

Hope you take some before and after pics!

Comment

the tulips and stuff are a narrow run by the drive (6” wide at some points). Tulips seem to grow really well round here.

The front I will definitely take pictures. it is only maybe 8ft by 40ft but is a lot of evergreens that barb you, roses and some lilacs that might stay). Will pic it out - the front is a tiny area that everyone sees, the back yard is relatively huge that surprises everyone who comes round.

Comment

Ate roast swede from allotment this weekend- with a roast dinner one day, then haggis n tatties the next.

One huge one cooked really quickly and was tender, the smaller one remained what seemed like part raw (uncooked, fibrous) even after parboiling, roasting and even microwaving next day. Disappointing.

Comment

We are now into early summer. I'm trying to keep my new turfing wet, while our multiple hydrangeas are almost all coming into flower:

Comment

Comment

Also fully in flower is the "other" wisteria which waits for the flamboyant climby ones to do their thing then gets its limelight. This ground dweller was already in a couple of small patches when we moved in and has surged since we ripped out the rampant clyveas:

Comment

Comment

Visiting cat in the garden today, think it must have been disturbed from its usual haunts by the storms earlier.

Comment

The Acanthus Molis (Oyster Plants) are outdoing themselves this year. We have four or five clumps in various spots and the tallest are above my eye level so around 5'10".

Comment

Comment

Pegged out my 10 proposed 10’x4’ allotment beds for next year, and started the laborious process of removing the turf and surface stones. 4 done - 6 to go. Soil looks ok underneath, but pretty shallow, so suspect I’ll end up with raised beds (and therefore more work).

Also started to cut up a birch tree toppled by the weekend winds. My novice usage of the Stihl chainsaw certainly needs much improvement…already knackered one chain this week and got a second jammed in a trunk. Need a pro to give me a lesson, methinks.

Comment

I am back working from home, using my daughter's room. Outside is a massive old Magnolia Grandiflora which is having a great flowering season. Usually a lot more of the buds get removed, nibbled then discarded by cockatoos. Anyway returning to work this morning and there's an unopened bud right outside the window so I will keep an eye and try to get a photo now and then.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                    X