Traveller removed from Church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, the major Irish news story today is that a Traveller woman was asked to leave a service in Clare, after a priest declared that her clothing was inappropriate. Of course, it's a common rule in European churches, but not one I've ever known to be enforced in this country, and seems more reflective of the endemic prejudice against Travellers than any sartorial concern. Still, I'll leave OTF adjudicate on the hemline.

I've actually never seen it enforced for an actual service on the Continent outside of the Vatican.

It's much more of a tourist-directed thing that has more to do with decorum and the disruption of services in general.

Comment

There are quite a few people on my facebook feed in the past couple of weeks attending communions in dresses similar to that.

The dress is quite demure compared to what I've seen around The Square shopping centre on a random afternoon.

Comment

It's a nonsense story. If it were a matter of anti-traveller bias, you would expect any of the many other travellers at the service to have been ejected, or for there to have been access issues at any point previously given the parish's fairly high traveller population.

The woman, who was not actually the parent of a child, was barred because her clothing was deemed inappropriate. As the video shows, she immediately interpreted that - on virtually no evidence - as being anti-traveller prejudice.

Dumbassery. There's a lot of very explicit prejudice and discrimination against travellers in the country, without having to make the likes of this into a story.

Comment

Is this a Catholic thing? There is nothing in what she is wearing that would get her turned out of a Proddie church. Indeed, I have never seen anyone getting refused entry due to dress.

Comment

Well, among Abrahamic religions, its actually much more of an Orthodox Jewish and Muslim thing.

She wouldn't have gotten to the doorway of our local Conservative temple, either.

Comment

Dress codes in Catholic churches are subject to local culture and parochial prejudice than universal rules.

The priest in this case clearly is easily scandalised by matters of sartorial choice. He certainly was wrong to eject the woman in a manner that humiliated her.

Comment

I think her point is that she is being singled out when there are others dressed similarly.

Comment

Yeah, but Toro addressed that: "If it were a matter of anti-traveller bias, you would expect any of the many other travellers at the service to have been ejected, or for there to have been access issues at any point previously given the parish's fairly high traveller population."

Comment

never trust a man with a wig that hilarious.

Comment

No Surrender to the VPL

Comment

Working...
                      X