Scientology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scientology

The documentary is quite long. 2 hours. But worththe time I think. Some scary shit which I know is not new to many on here.
    Here's the HBO documentary Going Clear - Scientology and the prison of belief

How this sort of thing can not be banned in US is a bit strange. We're talking stalking, brainwashing and even acts which can be considered kidnapping.

Scientology

Thanks for that. I'm surprised it's on YouTube already. I don't think it could be released in the UK.

Scientology has a lot of highly paid lawyers and lobbyists.

Comment

Scientology

How people can buy into the thing....

Like that bit (if you click the picture for larger) "THEREFORE I CONTRACT MYSELF TO THE SEA ORGANIZATION FOR THE NEXT BILLION YEARS"

Why a billion? While at it, why not a Quindecillion or a Vigintillion? Why not eternity?

Comment

Scientology

Stumpy Pepys wrote: Thanks for that. I'm surprised it's on YouTube already. I don't think it could be released in the UK.

Scientology has a lot of highly paid lawyers and lobbyists.
        I think it might be down soon but I've downloaded in case it's gone and anyone wants it.

Comment

Scientology

Checking the Wiki List of Scientologists where famous members are listed. Some surprises, at least to me.
          Isaac Hayes
          Juliette Lewis
          Sonny Bono

Comment

Scientology

Isaac Hayes quite South Park after the notorious Scientology episode.

Beck's a member too.

Comment

Scientology

So that's what Beck is up to now.

Comment

Scientology

Beck has been a Scientologist for some years. I've never understood why someone so talented and self-assured would sell himself out to that.

Comment

Scientology

Maybe he isn't that self-assured?
                  I haven't heard a thing from him in over ten years. Doesn't mean he's not doing some good stuff but going from be right up there on the MTV awards, see his own songs hit top ten on Billboard, and then not even close might do things to a person/artist.

Comment

Scientology

They have some clips in the documentary from their congress. It looks like a combination between 1936 Germany and 2015 North Korea.

Comment

Scientology

It's supposed to be a career move for a lot of actors and artists, isn't it? I remember reading something about how quite a few middle-ranking film stars had done it in order to curry favour with certain high-ranking Hollywood types -- not just Cruise, but various executives and producers too.

Chick Corea is a Scientologist, which is incredibly disappointing.

Comment

Scientology

If you watch it, the career move sure fits John Travolta. When he joined he was a struggling actor. Once he joined he got every part he auditioned for. Commercials, some TV-show and so on.

One hour in Travolta is sat in a camouflage outfit, most likely a movie set, where he's both defending and praising Scientology. It's surreal because his mouth says one thing while his expression, the words come through clenched teeth and a facial expression shouting embarrassment.

Same with Tom Cruise. He seems a bit more deranged in the clips yet it does not look sincere.

It's like the two have found a lucky charm they fear to get rid off. And they are treated quite differently from other members. They don't have to put up with all the other crap. Still. It's an enigma. So many people who come across smart (the drop-outs are interesting to listen to) who fall for this mess of evil.

Comment

Scientology

If you read Going Clear, the exceptionally good book upon which the movie is based, you come away with one fairly firm conclusion: Scientology is no more and no less ludicrous than any other religion. So, Sea Org or a Convent; Heaven or The Bridge; Ron or Jesus. The Bible or Diabetics. There's not a sliver of difference. None.

Comment

Scientology

Well, I can't argue with that.

Comment

Scientology

Also, I don't entirely 'blame' a lot of the celebrities who join and remain. Most joined for sincere reasons. But what the doc and the book show, quite clearly, is that it's very, very difficult to leave once they've got you hooked.

They audit the fuck out of you, and compile the secrets that you've divulged into massive files. It's nefarious and systemic. Once they've got you by the balls, it's life-ruining to leave. David Miscavige is pure, concentrated evil on an almost unbelievable scale.

Comment

Scientology

Pietro Paolo Virdis wrote: Maybe he isn't that self-assured?
                                I haven't heard a thing from him in over ten years. Doesn't mean he's not doing some good stuff but going from be right up there on the MTV awards, see his own songs hit top ten on Billboard, and then not even close might do things to a person/artist.
                                He won album of 2014 at the Grammy's. Which is kind of about as up there as you can get.

Comment

Scientology

But even at the time, a lot of people said things like "Beck put out an album recently?"

WOM, I don't know if I agree with your point on it being no more ludicrous than any other religion. Perhaps at the spiritual levels, but the harassment and intimidation of people who leave the church, and the pressure on family members who remain to never talk to their loved ones who leave is rather unique.

Other churches haven't done massive domestic spying and infiltration of government agencies, also.

Comment

Scientology

Well, no one expected the Spanish Inquisition.

Though I think WOM was focusing on the "theology" rather than the intimidiation, and I'd argue that Scientology is more plausible than Mormonism in terms of its creation myth.

Comment

Scientology

caja-dglh wrote:
                                      Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis
                                      Maybe he isn't that self-assured?
                                      He won album of 2014 at the Grammy's. Which is kind of about as up there as you can get.
                                      That shows how hip I am

Comment

Scientology

Jah Womble wrote: Beck has been a Scientologist for some years. I've never understood why someone so talented and self-assured would sell himself out to that.
                                        Beck's parents were converts. He grew up in it.

Comment

Scientology

Incandenza wrote:

WOM, I don't know if I agree with your point on it being no more ludicrous than any other religion. Perhaps at the spiritual levels, but the harassment and intimidation of people who leave the church, and the pressure on family members who remain to never talk to their loved ones who leave is rather unique.

Other churches haven't done massive domestic spying and infiltration of government agencies, also.
                                          I understand the point you're making, but Jews have infiltrated the government of Israel and have used their theological beliefs to inform national policy. I suspect the Christians have infiltrated the US government, too. If you see what I mean...

But, as I say, I get what you're saying. And no, the intimidation is unique and frightening. Ursus is right about my meaning, though.

Comment

Scientology

Stumpy, bit late but this made me wonder from the moment I read it. What do you mean you don't think it could be released in UK?

Comment

Scientology

It's to do with a law in Northern Ireland, which could have been used as the basis of a Scientology lawsuit. Guardian article here.

Comment

Scientology

Stumpy Pepys wrote: It's to do with a law in Northern Ireland, which could have been used as the basis of a Scientology lawsuit. Guardian article here.
                                                Jesus Christ! I would not have guessed that in a million years.

To think that we are at the year 2015 and a whole nation bows down to a religion. A totaly moronic one at that. (No mocking intended towards people of the country)

Comment

Scientology

[pedantry]WOM, I would agree with what you say four posts up except I wouldn't say it's Jews. I would say it's a fanatic part calling themselves jews. Like Jim Jones and his People's Temple called themselves Christian.

I have too many jewish friends who are great, to allow Netanyahu call himself proper Jewish. He is an arse, a sect leader, a criminal and a cunt. First and foremost a vile politician. Jewish is somewhere down at #40 on the list I'd want to recognize him as. Again, like Jim Jones used Christianity to gather people around him, Netanyahu is using Judaism to gather people. It's a sad state that people fall for it.

No way on earth do I allow Netanyahu to come away calling himself Jewish first and foremost. No way. He's pissing all over the Tora for the sake of own benefit.
                                                  [/pedantry]

Comment

Working...
                                                  X