The non-parliamentary politics thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guardian piece on workfare at Finsbury Park station.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jun/17/unpaid-warden-scheme-protest-jobseekers-london

Comment

Am at a loose end this afternoon as it happens. Any physical activity going on around there?

Also, anyone on the anti-austerity demo on Saturday? I'm not, cos we're away this weekend - like the bourgeouis bastards we are - but obviously worth going to.

Comment

I'll be there on Saturday E10. Think I ran into you and all yer siblings on a previous one, in Hyde Park.

Comment

I'm there too, looking forward to it.

Comment

There's also a 'communications blockade' from midday onwards of the Finsbury Park Business Forum, if you can't make it down to the station, so committed clicktivists can help too.

http://freedomnews.org.uk/demonstrat...-park-station/

[q]You can complain about the Finsbury Park Business Forum workfare scheme on 0207 527 5172, by email at info@finsburyparkbusinessforum.co.uk, and on twitter @FPBusiness.[/q]

Comment

E10 Rifle wrote: Am at a loose end this afternoon as it happens. Any physical activity going on around there?
              Don't think so - there was a demo/leafleting/stall yesterday afternoon outside the station - mostly just raising awareness/pushing the comms blockade.

Comment

Just back from the march in London; a great turnout - though it won't be reported much unless the Class War bunch kick off - and Corbyn was there. So he'll get my vote.

Couldn't see Charlotte Church though, and I had my best bib-and-tucker on for her too...

Comment

It did look big. Len McCluskey said the rozzers were saying 250k.

Comment

Indeed, which might have been a surprise to the rozzers themselves - on walking up to the march I heard one of them briefing to his minions that they were expecting 'at least 30,000'.

Comment

And the crowd didn't respond that enthusiastically to Martin McGuinness's address.

Comment

It definitely felt big: we were waiting on Princes Street by Bank and didn't even get moving until about 1.30pm, arriving in Parliament Square not much before 4pm.

No Charlotte Church encounter for us, although this was almost made up for by a possible sighting of OTF's own Duncan Gardner marching alongside the Dudley Green Party banner.

Edit: Hadn't seen DG's confirmation of attendance above. I should have come over and said hello.

Comment

Considering he's busily implementing austerity in Stormont, that's no surprise - McG, obviously.

Comment

I've just got back - we didn't get moving until past 1pm, and arrived at Parliament Square around 3, although I did cadge a lift from Blackfriars onward.

Just one of the Labour leadership candidates were there, and none of the deputies.

Comment

Morning all. Excellent days out, as others say. I was the one in the straw hat with the banner.

Arrived at Parl Square just in time to hear Lucas and Garfunkel's speeches.

Spoke to a few cops, clearly hinting it was a much bigger crowd than they expected.

Marty, had he any shame at all, would have sent Steven Agnew to represent Stormont. Or at least a Dublin Shinner

Comment

Who is Garfunkel?

Were the Greens the largest official party bloc there?

Comment

Marty

Arty

Good Communist Party turnout from what I saw.

Comment

CPB? En masse? That's very rare.

Comment

One of the funniest moments of the day for me (and one that TonTon among others will appreciate) was just after we left started marching, we went past a sound system, which was giving shoutouts to the various groups as they went past:

"Big up to DPAC - Disabled People Against Cuts"
                                      *big cheer*
                                      "Big up to the FBU"
                                      *big cheer*
                                      "Big up to TUSC"
                                      *silence*
                                      "Big up to the Mental Health Nurses"
                                      *big cheer*

Comment

Seems anti-immigration cops ran into some resistance in South London today.

Eventually the van drove away; pelted with fruit, eggs and with flat tyres, and the TSG were brought in to complete the raid - a man serving in a chip shop without proper papers.

Comment

From what I've read and seen, it looks like the community did its best to defend itself from a thoroughly vicious attack.

Comment

Yeah, although the resistance was eventually broken down (and one additional arrest made) it's clear that they can't do immigration raids if they have to get riot cops out every time.

Comment

Charlotte Church is ace isn't she?

Comment

Working...
                                              X