Justine Greening/ Continuity Gove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
    SATS cheating is a f*cking nightmare for everyone. The amount of kids you get entering year 7 with unachievably high target grades is phenomenal.
    The other thing that winds me up is really clever EAL kids doing poorly in SATS because their English isn't great when the take it, but come year 9 they're fluent in English, highly intelligent yet stuck with a low target grade as a result of SATS and dumped in vocational subjects.
    The treatment of EAL students as a whole is a disgrace. If schools were more savvy they would see these kids as the ones who'll attain the best and who will have high aspiration and have yet to be infected by the UK culture. Sadly they place them in bottom sets on a reduced curriculum with less access to education.

If a student has arrived in the UK in KS2 and taken theirs SATS then their score will be below their actual capability. When they come to take their GCSEs they should be academically fluent and get decent grades which will be way above their expected progress hence giving schools a pool of students who can save them. But do schools listen and use this talent?

My job is so frustrating, every day coming up against teachers and SLT who do not listen and do not change or show any flexibility. The levels of ignorance are frightening.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Frankie_Mack/status/1118174938907721728

Comment

Good stuff

Comment

If you are a failing school and have two years of negative Progress 8 scores then you'd be in a panic and organised you'd have thought. Plans in place and staff retention as a priority etc.

With weeks to go before the exams start we're staring at an OFSTED in September. The latest farcical situation is this.

English language or English literature is counted depending on what is best. I've been arguing for the past years that the literature paper is easier for our student profile, I'm consistently ignored or told I don't know what I'm talking about. The data and other evidence supports me as well.

After the last set of mocks the results again showed that students were performing a grade or two higher in the literature paper so what do you do with two months to go?

a) stick with the same plan
          b) focus on literature
          c) say fuck the literature and focus entirely on the language paper

It's a no brainer isn't it?

Yep, option c it is.

Comment

The beatings will continue until morale improves

[URL="https://twitter.com/chakrabortty/status/1166405034176856065?s=21"]https://twitter.com/chakrabortty/status/1166405034176856065[/URL]

Comment

I really don't know what to make of this. Yes there will be money but the forced academisation will be continued and failing schools will be absorbed into academy chains.

I cannot say too much as I don't want to out myself on here but I really doubt anyone from my school is on this board, I'm guessing a few of the teachers will know of WSC though so I'm a little wary.

I work in a school where for the third year in a row we've had poor results, Progress 8 scores are negative and that would trigger an OFSTED and possibly special measures. A few staff think bring it on but others side with management and their decision to avoid that.

So how can you avoid an OFSTED? Simple, join another MAT and get two years grace.

However I'm sure there's more to it than that. I'm guessing that there's also money given and possibly debts wiped out. Whatever it is it stinks and reeks.

Comment

This is good

[URL="https://twitter.com/chakrabortty/status/1166415866038247424?s=21"]https://twitter.com/chakrabortty/status/1166415866038247424[/URL]

Comment

It is good. Aside from the lies about funding (and, while I am about it, I don't know many teachers who are crying out for more wages, just more autonomy, less bureaucracy and more time to actually teach), it is the usual sticking their noses into punishment and what not. Let's be clear on this, everyone who isn't a qualified education professional - politicians, media commentators and, yes, parents - should be kept out of curriculum planning, pedagogy, behaviour management etc. Teachers at all levels and, even more preferably, educationalists should be in charge of this basing it on empirical evidence - not the whims of politicians and their pursuit of pre-election soundbites. Obviously, they can do one with more Free schools and academies as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                    It is good. Aside from the lies about funding (and, while I am about it, I don't know many teachers who are crying out for more wages, just more autonomy, less bureaucracy and more time to actually teach), it is the usual sticking their noses into punishment and what not. Let's be clear on this, everyone who isn't a qualified education professional - politicians, media commentators and, yes, parents - should be kept out of curriculum planning, pedagogy, behaviour management etc. Teachers at all levels and, even more preferably, educationalists should be in charge of this basing it on empirical evidence - not the whims of politicians and their pursuit of pre-election soundbites. Obviously, they can do one with more Free schools and academies as well.
                    A*

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post

A*
                      A 9 in new money.

Comment

It's mostly horrifying stuff all this, and must be fought. Parents, teachers (and kids) united. More free schools for sadists might as well be the headline

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

A 9 in new money.
                          <Smiley thing.> I'm primary. If it were me I'd pop a smiley face on it, congratulate Bored for his punctuation and spelling and suggest he talk to me about paragraphs.

Comment

To be honest, I cut-and-pasted it wholesale from my Facebook and can't do paragraphs on that for some reason.

Comment

Tories are cunts. The Times are cunts (is cunts)

https://twitter.com/StephenMangan/status/1183750489227300865?s=20

Comment

Working...
                              X