X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plane of the Day

De Havilland Sea Vixen. They don't make 'em like they used to:

Plane of the Day

that post is much better with the picture.

Comment

Plane of the Day

Comment

Plane of the Day

Comment

Plane of the Day

I wondered, as I was typing the thread title, whether to change it to "aeroplane", but thought it might be funny if someone had the thought.

Thirteen bloody minutes.

Here's a Handley-Page Victor to get back on thread:

Comment

Plane of the Day

The Avro Arrow

Comment

Plane of the Day

There's the Avrocar.

Turns out a non-rotating disc is a deeply rubbish flying machine. Someone should tell the alien abductees.

Comment

Plane of the Day

he looks like Fred Flinstone there, about to apply the brakes.

Comment

Plane of the Day

Comment

Plane of the Day

Pah. The Vixen is just this:

With a Halfords makeover. And anyway, if I were a V-Bomber, I'd have to be the Vulcan.

Nice.

(On a side note, where has the preview button gone?)

Comment

Plane of the Day

Good question. Don't get me wrong, the P38 and Vulcan are up there in my personal echelon. Actually a 1:48 scale P38 is the only unmade kit I possess. I've probably had it in its box for over thirty years now. Doubt the eyes would be up to it now.

Anyway, here's a Handley-Page Hampden, ugly, weird and beautiful all at once:

Comment

Plane of the Day

As mentioned here.

Comment

Plane of the Day

How about this?

Comment

Plane of the Day

Isn't that one of the things that's great about OTF? Thanks to Boris' post, instead of fretting about the UK election I've spent the last half hour learning about the Lun Ekanoplan. Marvellous.

Pedants' corner: according to the Wiki page:

Although they might look similar and have related technical characteristics, ekranoplans like the Lun are not aircraft, seaplanes, hovercraft, or hydrofoils–ground effect is a separate technology altogether. The International Maritime Organization classifies these vehicles as maritime ships.

But I'm glad you posted it.

Comment

Plane of the Day

I was trying to think what that reminded of. It's the Fireflash from Thunderbirds. They're not really similar, must have been the general odd configuration, engine positioning thing.

Comment

Plane of the Day

Comment

Plane of the Day

The Lippisch DM1

Comment

Plane of the Day

Blohm und Voss BV 141

Comment

Plane of the Day

As a kid, sitting on Southend seafront, I used to see these magical Carvair's to-ing & fro-ing from the local airport. You can stuff your Jumbos.

[IMG][/img]

Comment

Plane of the Day

Evocation overload. As a 12-13 yo I went through a planespotting phase. A cousin shared the interest and lived near Heathrow and we once spent a Saturday on the roof of the Queens Building.

A British Island Airways Carvair is one of the etched memories, along with a Bangladesh Biman DC8 / 707.

I also built the Airfix kit of that surreal Blohm & Voss

Comment

Plane of the Day

As a kid I lived for a while in Farnborough, and my bedroom window overlooked the landing path for the RAE/DRA airfield (this was before the airport started getting business). Nothing quite like seeing the enormous Russian jets banking slowly and coming in to land like floundering whales. This one in particular:

Comment

Plane of the Day

Crusoe, what is that behemoth?

Saw a lovely old plane on Foyle's War last night and it got me thinking about classics from arguably the Golden Age of flight, the inter-world war years. It was one of these, a De Havilland Dragon Rapide:

Here's a beautiful Lockheed Electra Junior, stainless steel simplicity:

And just for fun value, and to marvel that anyone would dare fly one, a Granville Gee Bee Racer:

Comment

Plane of the Day

The behemoth that Crusoe posted is the Antonov An-225 (a one-off monster that the Soviet Union built to transport their space-shuttle rip-off).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-225_Mriya

It also happens to be my second-favourite aircraft of all time.

My favourite of all time is the magnificent Short Sunderland:

Which gets bonus points for being a cool plane and a cool boat at the same time.

Comment

Plane of the Day

The DC-3

It will fly in all conditions, it can land anywhere and it will last forever. They are still in commercial operation today, 81 years after the first one was built. The saying is that the only replacement for a DC-3 is another DC-3.

Comment

Plane of the Day

The DC-3 just has no peer does it?

And no mention of the Sunderland is complete without its predecessor and inspiration, the Empire Flying Boat:

Comment

Working...
                                                  X