No announcement yet.

Ship of the day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMS Enterprise a survey vessel for the Royal Navy.

Comment

Yay.

Comment

HMS Enterprise apparently.

Comment

It appears to be the Enterprise, before Captain Kirk got his hands on it. It's a survey vessel, although I don't know if it surveys the ocean floor, or if surveys for enemy submarines.

I see that I'm four posts too late.

Comment

I think we all googled Royal Navy Ship H88 and got similar results. Hurrah for the internet!

Comment

I think we can boldly confirm it’s HMS Enterprise.

Comment

Why does it have a logo which appears to be a cross between a Peugeot Lion and a Vauxhall Griffin? Are Royal Navy ships sponsored nowadays?

Comment

There are three of them out there right now: Omaha, Hasna and Advantage. It looks like there's a tugboat pulled up next to Advantage.

Comment

It usually takes Fashion Week or the Met Gala for this kind of traffic.

jdsx, that is derived from the ship's badge, which it inherited from earlier Incarnations of the HMS Enterprise

Comment

So Nice making its way up river

Whereas last night we had BBC Africa going the same way.

Comment

it's Boris Johnson's yacht.

Comment

BBC Africa is surely not named after our domestic broadcaster, is it?

Comment

BBC is also a massive ship charter company for those looking to move freight.

Comment

Icebreakers. No, no, not the training activities used to waste time before actually doing something. Actual icebreakers

Comment

Your little town has quite a port.

Comment

Especially since it's about 8 hours from the sea

Comment

They are Finnish, aren't they?

Comment

They are indeed. First day of our hols yesterday in Helsinki

Comment

No photo, unfortunately, but we just had a small working fishing boat (maybe 25 feet) go up the river flying a New Mexico state flag that was a third of the ship's size.

Not something we see everyday.

Comment

That must be 50% of New Mexico's fishing fleet.

Comment

Not necessarily a ship from today, or even yesterday. But I saw this picture, and was very impressed.

[img]http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/014112.jpg[/img]

Apparently when the US govt wasn't building anything else in 1930, they were building these.

Comment

Some background on the floating dry docks

Pretty wild stuff

Comment

The interwar history of the US Navy is quite interesting. They may have had no money but they did not fuck around. They seemed to have learned more from the Battle of Jutland than either of the participants. and spent a lot of time on safety and damage control. That turned out to be superimportant, particularly in the first year and a bit of the war when the americans were at the pin of their collar in terms of resources, and aircraft carriers that were hit with enough bombs to sink two ships were miraculously able to make it home and fight another day. Then of course This process started. (This video is fascinating, it takes 17 seconds to go through August of 1943 alone.)

They also spent a lot of time working on the various problems of operating a navy, almost half a world away, and they spent a lot of time on improving crew conditions and quality of life, because sailors would be gone a long time, and it was going to be hot where they would be going. These floating docks are the other side of that thinking. So when the time came, they had thought the whole thing through, and now just needed to add more ships.

I was also surprised to discover that the primary purpose of the Washington and london Naval treaties was to cut off an arms race between the British Empire and the US. Thank god for that. Even if they had managed to avoid going to war with each other, the cost of such an endeavour would have severely hammered their economies and reduced their capacity to respond to WwII the way that they actually did. Indeed the US might have been sufficiently hostile to the UK to stay out of the european war entirely.

I also came across this guy who is the origin of the phrase "a cup of joe". It's worth reading if only for the light it casts on FDR.
                                                Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 06-08-2019, 20:16.

Comment

I think when I said "Light", I meant "shade" really didn't I?

Comment

I thought Ursus was posting that the Aviva is back in our river. I haven't seen it, but Marine Traffic said it was here.

i have no idea why I added it to my fleet.

Dear Autocorrect, while I'm sure he would find it amusing, it's annoying that you keep changing Ursus to Jesus.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X