No announcement yet.

Ship of the day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, it is essentially the maritime equivalent of a flatbed truck, with two electronic billboards that use similar technology to contemporary sideline hoardings, but are more than twice as tall.

Comment

I'm not entirely sure who their target audience is. I couldn't even read what it was for from where I am. All I could tell for sure was that it was tacky.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ursus_arctos59/status/1123232328682278912

Comment

First superyacht of the season, the 81 metre Air (which may or may not be the same one that was once seized from the government of Equatorial Guinea)

Comment

That looks more like a ferry than a super yacht, apart from the helicopter

Comment

I chose one of the most mundane photos

875,000 USD a week is steep for a ferry.

Comment

Not if you're Chris Grayling

Comment

It is a very utilitarian-looking yacht.

Comment

We have been spoiled . . .

Comment

We had a Royal Princess in port at the weekend. I'd put a picture up but the boat's too big to fit on the screen, and it's way too ugly to inflict on all your eyes.

It genuinely made me think of the Golgafrincham B Ark, or those JG Ballard stories where people go on holiday to a Spanish Costa and all the return flights get cancelled. You'd totally take those giant ugly floating apartment blocks and just anchor them out in the middle of the ocean as a way of getting rid of the most useless people society has to offer.

Comment

Air has moved to Chelsea Piers now. Hmph. Guess they're too good for us.

Comment

SB, we get cruise ships docked around here all the time. *yawn*

Comment

We often get cruise ships in. Normally, though, it's Holland America and Disney. Their boats are ugly enough, but the Royal Princess was a full step up in hideousness from the Disney boat.

Comment

Unfortunately (?) this thing only made it up to Pier 17 in Tribeca (though it spent most of yesterday on the East River, as my office colleagues confirmed)

Comment

Why's it towing a tug?

Comment

"Irony", I presume

Comment

The "Parade of Ships" that kicks off "Fleet Week" here every year is this morning. Not as international a lineup as we have had in past years.

•San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock USS New York (LPD 21), from Mayport, Florida
                                    • Kingston-class coastal defense vessel HMCS Glace Bay (MM 701), from Canadian Forces Base Halifax
                                    • Sail training vessel HMCS Oriole (KC 480), from Canadian Forces Base Halifax
                                    • Four USNA YPs, from Annapolis, Maryland
                                    • Sentinel-class cutter USCGC Lawrence O. Lawson (WPC 1120), from Cape May, New Jersey
                                    • Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer USS Jason Dunham (DDG 109), from Norfolk, Virginia
                                    • Freedom-class littoral combat ship USS Milwaukee (LCS 5), from Mayport, Florida
                                    • Keeper-class cutter USCGC Katherine Walker (WLM 552), from Bayonne, New Jersey • Medium endurance cutter USCGC Campbell (WMEC 909), from Kittery, Maine
                                    • Cyclone-class patrol coastal ship USS Tornado (PC 14), from Mayport, Florida

Comment

I wonder why there is less of an International line up?

Comment

International military co-operation is not this Administration's strong suit.

I'm half surprised that we got Canadians (though the sail training vessel is a frequent visitor).

Comment

I expect Big Bill to throw it down to Donald from a lectern down by Pier 52.

Comment

His approval numbers are so far before the waterline that I'm not sure he will ever come back from Iowa.

Comment

This weekend's visitor, Lumiere II

Comment

Unusual craft today, the Ad Vantage, which is advertised as both a yacht and a "support vessel" for superyachts

Comment

Interesting - not available for charter in US waters.

Also raises the new to me idea of rocking up in a yacht at some billionaire island and being told "You call that a yacht? That is a support vessel"

Comment

Any idea what this is? The Woolwich Ferry had to wait for it earlier.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X