No announcement yet.

Ship of the day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe Lewis' Aviva is currently moored directly between FF's gaff and ours.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
      Joe Lewis' Aviva is currently moored directly between FF's gaff and ours.

Good to see a former Peterborough keeper doing well.

Comment

It amuses me that the luxury yacht places around Grosvenor Street all use very average looking, early middle aged, men in their promotional photos. No young women, no women at all. Just men, men who appear to not do exercise but are otherwise quite well groomed.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ursus_arctos59/status/1005486818068922369?s=19

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
            It amuses me that the luxury yacht places around Grosvenor Street all use very average looking, early middle aged, men in their promotional photos. No young women, no women at all. Just men, men who appear to not do exercise but are otherwise quite well groomed.
            So, their clientele.

Comment

Joe Lewis's yacht is a thing of beauty. Monstrous beauty, but beauty none the less.

Comment

Nice shot of my building, UA.

Comment

Do you live in the buildings that looks like part of a giant curtain wall with towers, or do you live in the one that looks like the giant castle keep, and why does no-one build a giant walled Castle of apartments?

Comment

See the two buildings in the top center of the photo? I live in the one that's behind the one closest to the water.

So the one that looks the tallest, in other words.

Comment

hah, you live in a tower with arrowslits..... Teddy is a Castle Hound.

Comment

Just come back from holiday in Norway. Some of those cruise ships are frighteningly large; I had no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                          hah, you live in a tower with arrowslits..... Teddy is a Castle Hound.
                          That's Sir Teddy to you.

SP: Yeah, some of the newer ones are monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                            Just come back from holiday in Norway. Some of those cruise ships are frighteningly large; I had no idea.
                            That's what we said in about 800 AD when they started landing in Northumbria.

Comment

There was one in Galway Bay there recently. It looked ridiculously outsized.

Comment

There's a program I like to watch called Mighty Ships that some of you might enjoy. You might be able to find episodes online.

Comment

They're apparently an ecological fucking nightmare. I was a bit freaked out by the size of the thing I saw. It kind of looked like your Apartment building at sea.

Comment

Comment

yeah, that's a Concordia class ship, which means it's 70 feet longer than the titanic, 20 feet wider, and, er, 2.5 times as heavy. It's only twice as heavy as the USS New Jersey, and only 60% heavier than the Yamato. What maniac allowed it that close to the city? It's good to see that the spirit of Schettino lives on.

Comment

My mate (who used to be the Chairman of a fan-run non-league club) fits high-end stereo and entertainment systems for the super-rich. He's done that massive house owned by an oligarch in Hampstead, footballer's houses in the Uk and Africa, and yacht. Lots and lots and lots of yachts. He told me a few tales about how yer oligarch manages his yachting, and usually involves the crew having 3 days notice to get across the atlantic with the order to pick up 20 girls happy to spend a week at sea with the oligrach and his retinue of gofers, associates, business partners and hangers on.

Comment

TAB, that ship is actually entering the city, as the terminal at the time required them to "sail" between Giudecca and the centre. They used to go right past San Marco, which created scenes like this.

They were only banned last November, and there are still people (almost all non-Venetians) who think that was "unfair".

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                                            There's a program I like to watch called Mighty Ships that some of you might enjoy. You might be able to find episodes online.
                                            UK viewers - it's on Quest, usually around 8pm on a weekday.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                              They're apparently an ecological fucking nightmare. I was a bit freaked out by the size of the thing I saw. It kind of looked like your Apartment building at sea.
                                              P&O Oriana is due in 18th July. Looking at the schedule, that will be the biggest visitor to Galway this year.

Comment

It’s coming! (September-October? Just been formally authorised by the Navigable Waterways of France to travel up to 25 km/h in the central Parisian part of the Seine, roughly between Tour Eiffel and Île Saint-Louis – it's capped to 12 km/h normally)

https://twitter.com/GMA/status/1000995433777385472

This is what their water taxi hubs could look like (here outside of the Orsay Museum):

Comment

I can't help but feeling that the future historians (should we have still historians in two generations' time) will see this as emblematic of the Macron Era.

The Aviva is still here, which is very unusual for a ship of its size. Usually superyachts planning on long term stays (such as Abramovich's when his then-wife was preparing to give birth), negotiate berthing arrangements with direct access to land.

Comment

The Atessa IV has been sitting next to the Coronado Ferry downtown for a few days. It looks seriously glam.

Apparently it's $150m of boat, owned by a bloke called Dennis Washington, who I'd never heard of before. He seems to be a mining and construction billionaire from Montana, and has enough ego to give his boat a Forbes photoshoot

Comment

Working...
                                                    X