Ship of the day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ship of the day

It's been a bit of a quiet time for ships at Greenwich recently. The last one was a cruise liner about a month ago.

Comment

Ship of the day

ursus arctos wrote: The view of the Hudson was the major reason we bought our current flat. I love it to bits.
      Ditto.

Comment

Ship of the day

This yacht (Postive Carry) has been anchored in the river for a couple or three weeks now. It's huge, and I sometimes feel envious of whoever owns it (or is renting it).

But one day last week, when I looked out the window and saw this one, I almost felt sorry for the Positive Carry. This one dwarfs it.

Comment

Ship of the day

Have you ever seen a yacht transporter?

Comment

Ship of the day

That's a bit like the ship carrier for carrier ships.

Comment

Ship of the day

Brand new Thames Clippers came up the Thames the other day onboard this ship. The ship then tied up next to HMS Belfast and the ships were unloaded directly into the Thames.

Thames Clipper being carried

Comment

Ship of the day

The other thing is that my OH is teaching her students about container shipping as part of their Geography GCSE at the moment. The class* have decided to track a ship and plot it on the world map each lesson. The one they've chosen is basically brand new, and the biggest in the world.
                Get her to contact the shipping line and tell them what she's doing. Shipping lines quite like it when schools take an interest in there ships and they'll probably send some photo's and other literature. Sometimes they even invite schools to visit them when they're in a local port. Give it go, you've got nothing to lose.

Comment

Ship of the day

My Dad worked on this ship but I can't remember any of the other ones.

Comment

Ship of the day

Positive Carry has a somewhat interesting history.

It's quite luxurious, but was originally built for a sub-prime hedge fund manager who was caught without bathing trunks when the tide went out during the financial crisis.

It's now being chartered by the oligarchal class while visiting New York, especially for events like Fashion Week. Though, as FF notes, it has now been around for about two months, which is longer than usual.

Here's more detail on Lady Kathryn V.

Comment

Ship of the day

I do love a good sea view but it isn't perfect unless there is a big old ship in there, preferably an oil tanker or container ship. If it is in dry dock in repair or being dismantled even better. This year, in Croatia, we had a gorgeous view of the bay along with a lot of yachts, fishing boats and ferries and bang in the middle was a ship being repaired. Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture but this gives a good idea.

Comment

Ship of the day

Looks like they should have renamed positive carry as correlation.

Comment

Ship of the day

That guy lost USD 650 million of his clients' money, bit seems always to have had a good PR person.

But like many other investors who were hammered or humiliated by the crisis, the numbers are adding up in Mr. Devaney's favor again. As financial markets rebound, business at his sharply downsized United Capital Markets Inc. is booming, especially for subprime mortgage bonds. Losses on similar bets nearly destroyed the firm in 2008.

Comment

Ship of the day

Paul S wrote:
                            The other thing is that my OH is teaching her students about container shipping as part of their Geography GCSE at the moment. The class* have decided to track a ship and plot it on the world map each lesson. The one they've chosen is basically brand new, and the biggest in the world.
                            Get her to contact the shipping line and tell them what she's doing. Shipping lines quite like it when schools take an interest in there ships and they'll probably send some photo's and other literature. Sometimes they even invite schools to visit them when they're in a local port. Give it go, you've got nothing to lose.
                            At my primary school in the 70s we had our "own" ship's captain, Captain Edmondson, who used to come to school once in a while and talk to classes. I think he captained an oil tanker, from memory. We were all enthralled, and he was a total hero at the school.

Comment

Ship of the day

In 1979, I worked for a marine supply company on the Mississippi river in Baton Rouge. Our office was built on a barge that contained potable water on one side and fuel on the other. Whenever the level of one would go down, the barge would list, causing pens to roll off the desk, and sometimes even making it difficult to keep your chair in place. It was fun to work there. I tried to find a photo of it on the internet, but it appears that the business was bought and that office no longer exists.

Every Wednesday, the Mississippi Queen would dock there to take on supplies and to let the passengers disembark to tour the city. Occasionally, the captain would invite us to join him for lunch in the ship's dining room while the passengers were away. The food was spectacular, so it was always a treat just for that reason, never mind that was such a cool dining room. I will never forget those days.

Comment

Ship of the day

Do you all know about this site: https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/

Just focus in on your area and you can find out the names of the ships you see.

Comment

Ship of the day

That's good. Since I couldn't read the name from my vantage point I had to look up Dawn Princess from Sydney Ports' website.

Comment

Ship of the day

Femme Folle wrote: Do you all know about this site: https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/

I know about that site very well FF, I spend way to much time on it! Friday I sat there watching vessels off the coast of Mexico getting out of the way of the World's worst ever storm (until they downgraded it). Genuinely fascinating to watch an ore carrier which obviously hasn't unloaded its cargo, set sail and then sail at maximum knots for safer water.

Comment

Ship of the day

That is fascinating. I didn't think of doing that, otherwise, I would have been on it for hours too.

Comment

Ship of the day

Femme Folle wrote: Do you all know about this site: https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/

Fucking hell, if it's Bath, it means we are flooded.

Comment

Ship of the day

Positive Carry left yesterday without so much as a goodbye wave. I located her down off the coast of Virginia, so I guess it might be awhile until we see her again.

Comment

Ship of the day

This ship was apparently being christened here today. First cruise liner in quite a while that I've seen docked.

Which was presumably the reason for a pretty spectacular fireworks display. Deptford has its perks.

Comment

Ship of the day

Our local schooner is back for the summer

Comment

Ship of the day

We've just seen that display too, if I'd known it had been on I'd have made my way to the Thames. The display looked short and sweet. The boat had come from Istanbul so that's a nice connection for us, old home to new one.

Comment

Ship of the day

Double post.

Comment

Ship of the day

Bulwark's back:

Comment

Working...
                                                    X