Ship of the day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ship of the day

I was also on this one, the TEV Hinemoa. It was a ferry that ran from Wellington to Lyttleton (Christchurch). My step father was the officer's steward and we used to visit him on board when the ship was in harbour. The perks included me stuffing myself with biscuits from the officer's mess.
    These old ships were a great way to travel

Comment

Ship of the day

I love the old WWI Ironclads, especially with a distinctive forward-sloping prow:

Comment

Ship of the day

This is one of my favourite ships:

HMS President: Built in 1918 as one of the Q-ships for the Royal Navy. Designed to look like a civilian vessel, it lured the U-boats in and she then destroyed them with her hidden weaponry.

Comment

Ship of the day

Paul S wrote: Live Ships map is where all the real keen ship spotters spend their time. I enjoy zooming in om places like Aberdeen and Peterhead just after a huge storm has passed. You can up to a hundred ships moored off just that small part of Scotland.
          thanks for that link.... I just tracked the Grampian Sceptre which I will have the pleasure of manifesting the inbound cargo back to Peterhead tomorrow

Comment

Ship of the day

Nice bit of Dazzle on the President there Paul.

Comment

Ship of the day

You like dazzle. I give you dazzle.
              By Jeff Koons.

Comment

Ship of the day

Comment

Ship of the day

Sits wrote: Nice bit of Dazzle on the President there Paul.
                  Painted like that to mark the 100th anniversary of the first world war.

Comment

Ship of the day

Fine 99% Invisible podcast on Dazzle.

This has been by far the foggiest weekend of the year, and as I gaze out our windows, I can barely tell if the Hudson is still there (though I'm confident it is). With luck, we will get to hear some foghorns today, which are nowhere near as common here as they are in San Francisco.

Comment

Ship of the day

About to go off for my biweekly trip on the Cabrillo which completes the bike route around San Diego bay. On nice Sunday mornings the 10:30 ferry is absolutely packed with bicycles. They have racks for probably 40 or 50 bikes on board and I've seen it run out of space.

Comment

Ship of the day

Bah, I want to see some ships now.

Comment

Ship of the day

Tilbury's not far. You still see ships at the docks down there and the ferry to Gravesend still runs. Not that there's much reason to go to Gravesend mind. It's the journey not the destination as they say.

Comment

Ship of the day

It's the tall ships festival this weekend. Looking forward to the fireworks. And the ships of course.

Comment

Ship of the day

Oh is this where I post a picture of the ship that was just outside the Riverside on Satder? Love it, looks gritty and industrial just like the town:

Comment

Ship of the day

Visited HMS Belfast yesterday, apparently the A and B turret 6 inch guns are vectored onto Gateway Services on the M1.

Comment

Ship of the day

Fussbudget, that ship has its own website.

It's normally moored in the North Sea oil fields.

I wonder if is being refitted, or taken out of service due to the decline in oil prices.

Comment

Ship of the day

Our local rag says this hasn't been decide yet:
                                    North Sea Production Company director David McLean said the ship had returned because production in the MacCulloch field had finished and a decision would now be made about its future.

He said: “It could be redeployed, sold or recycled. We’re seriously considering all three options for the vessel, which has done a fantastic job and far exceeded our expectations.

Comment

Ship of the day

And then there were two.

Comment

Ship of the day

Missed this thread first time around - here's the Dazzle ferry on the Mersey, created by Sir Peter Blake for the WW1 anniversary.

Comment

Ship of the day

Snapped from my office window this afternoon, Dawn Princess leaving White Bay Terminal for a 6-day Tasmanian cruise:

Comment

Ship of the day

Blimey. How do you ever get any work done?

Comment

Ship of the day

Nice. Off she goes. (Assume you have all seen Vessel Finder or Marine Traffic?)

Container shipping is a bit of a theme in our household at the moment. We had a day at Felixtowe (Port of Britain) a few weeks ago, which was good. Managed to time it as one enormous MSC (forgotten its name) was leaving and another (MSC Alexa, who it seems is now moored at Liverpool) was arriving.

The way that, even when they are a fair distance from you, they fill your entire field of vision is just incredible.

The other thing is that my OH is teaching her students about container shipping as part of their Geography GCSE at the moment. The class* have decided to track a ship and plot it on the world map each lesson. The one they've chosen is basically brand new, and the biggest in the world: MSC Zoe. Capacity of about 20000 containers.

* Note, 14 and 15 year olds do in fact get excited about tracking container ships. There is hope for humanity.

Comment

Ship of the day

20 foot or 40 foot Kev? Or am I just betraying my ignorance?

Comment

Ship of the day

My niece finished her degree in Oceanography at Southampton last summer and has recently started a job training to drive/sail/pilot* cruise ships. It's what she's always wanted to do. I may be a tiny bit jealous.

* Well, I don't know.

Comment

Ship of the day

Sits wrote: 20 foot or 40 foot Kev? Or am I just betraying my ignorance?
                                                    Ah, no, not ignorance at all; this is a fact I only recently learned. The 20 is the "unit" for measuring, called a TEU; so the 40s are doubles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-foot_equivalent_unit

Comment

Working...
                                                    X