No announcement yet.

Ship of the day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice work from the captioner: "He creates, I decorate" says Washington's wife Phyllis, who has her a design and antiques business." [sic]

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
      I can't help but feeling that the future historians (should we have still historians in two generations' time) will see this as emblematic of the Macron Era.
      You're only saying that because you're jealous... Ouh le jaloux ! You haven't got them in your grosse pomme, nananananère pouet pouet camembert !

(and it really has nothing to do with Macron, he wasn’t even running for presidency when seabubbles was created).

Comment

C’mon, man

You’ve read Annales, there are much broader socio-economic factors at work here.

Comment

It was a galéjade my dear ursus. I'm not sure I get you on this though. When I first posted on this venture approx. 1 year ago I remember you being negative about it but what's fundamentally wrong with a few water taxis on the Seine? There's no public money involved or it's very negligible and the company has said that the average ride (from, say, Notre-Dame to Eiffel Tower) would be about €10-12, so giving a chance to the general public to enjoy a very original ride on the Seine (not Batobus or bateau-mouche) for a low fare. What's not to like in that?

Comment

How much are they paying the city for the right to use the river?

Comment

I don't know any of the details, just that the municipality said that they'd help with the logistics (the hubs in particular, helping to negotiate with the French navigation authority etc.) but to a max. of €1m I think, something like that, very negligible, I quoted the figure on here last year and I think it's that sort of ballpark figure. I do hope they'll be paying the City something, you'd expect them to anyway but I don't know about the nuts and bolts.

Comment

If there’s no public money involved, and the city is getting a fair rent, then I still find them daft but am not fundamentally opposed.

They are certainly a damn sight better than the cigarette boat (and related infrastructure) that the Finance Ministry extorted as part of their deal to leave the Louvre for Bercy.

Comment

Yep, they've done very daft things in the past (eg Autolib' and getting involved with Vincent Bolloré), and still now of course, but I really don't think this is one of them (whatever public money is involved in this probably is peanuts. I suppose when you're €6bn in the red as the Paris municipality currently is, a few extra millions are painless).

Comment

Well that was a nice surprise. The tall ships festival started today, unbeknownst to me, and I just got a 4 July fireworks display right outside my window.

Comment

This weekend's superyacht in the Minderella, which is reportedly for sale

Comment

Can I change the name?

Comment

You can!

It was previously named Cacique.

It’s very common for name changes to accompany changes in ownership.

Comment

Mingerella. If I had a dinghy, I'd be tempted to go out pretending to be a buyer.

Comment

Gerontophile would be a good name for a yacht.

Comment

Imagine all the gray-haired old-money geezers slowly making their way toward it.

Comment

'Him onboard...'

Comment

Our Labor Day Weekend superyacht is the Netanya 8 (though the internet tells me it has been renamed, it still bears that name on its side)

Comment

This is the Samadhi. It's owned by hedge fund manager Daniel Loeb.

Last edited by Femme Folle; 04-09-2018, 23:24.

Comment

This is a test post. I don't know why I'm having trouble posting images from my Google Photos

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1punvfxZd8HbuH8h6

ETA: So this method won't display the photo, but if you click on the link, you can see the image in Google Photos and you'll be able to zoom in and see it in greater detail.

Comment

The Rickmers Antwerp came by early this morning

Comment

I've seen that before. I wonder where they go.

Comment

They go to the Port of Albany, where they unload various types of bulk cargo

Comment

I honestly didn't realize the river was still big enough for that up there.

Comment

It's being more or less constantly dredged to make sure that it remains so, but those bulk cargo ships look like absolute Leviathans up around Hudson and the like, where the river is both narrow and has meaningful islands.

Marine Traffic tells me that the Rickmers Antwerp is sailing from Savannah.

Comment

Joe Lewis' superyacht Aviva is back

Comment

Working...
                                                    X