Ship of the day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ship of the day

I walked past there this evening and thought two things, why is Bulwark back and will Ginger Yellow post a picture.

Comment

Ship of the day

The Carolina (f.k.a. Noa VII) is anchored nearby. According to superyachts.com, it might still be for sale.

I don't know why this freaking photo isn't showing up. I've tried like five times. I'm giving up. Sorry.

Comment

Ship of the day

Others weren't a recognised format

Comment

Ship of the day

I love the view from your balcony GY. Did you ever end up getting a telescope?

Comment

Ship of the day

Nah, I got some good binoculars instead.

Comment

Ship of the day

Cool. Tripod?

Comment

Ship of the day

Nah, I think it's a ship.

Comment

Ship of the day

Well this isn't a clusterfuck.

Comment

Ship of the day

The last true Royal Mail Ship (RMS) is making a farewell tour of Britain and I saw her this morning as I walked over London Bridge tied up to HMS Belfast. She's a most graceful ship with lovely lines and a real survivor. She was built in 1990 in Aberdeen - the last ship to be built there - and is only being withdrawn due to the construction of a new airport on St Helena.

RMS St Helena in London

Not that the airport hasn't had problems though:

New airport to windy for planes to land

Comment

Ship of the day

I video'd the St Helena going under Tower Bridge yesterday, it was quite sexy.

Didn't plan to be there or anything, just showing an American friend around.

Comment

Ship of the day

We really need a like button on this forum don't we?

Comment

Ship of the day

The funnel design on the St. Helena is ace, and rather reminiscent of the original post-war design for British Railways

Comment

Ship of the day

Paul S wrote: We really need a like button on this forum don't we?
                            Yes, we do.

MsD's video was very cool.

Comment

Ship of the day

Thanks, I will stick it in Photobucket in a bit. :-)

Comment

Ship of the day

Took a harbour ferry yesterday which I very rarely do. You live somewhere and don't look. Sydney's a great place; people actually commute on this ferry. Anyway, Queen Victoria was berthed at the Overseas Passenger Terminal on Circular Quay. Not as impressive as QM2 which was in a couple of weeks ago but a decent ship nonetheless:

Comment

Ship of the day

Great scene Sits. But crikey have ship designers lost their way – I mean, gawd knows she's not remotely as bad-looking as some of those giant top-heavy floating cities that are modern cruise vessels, but the new Cunards aren't a patch on the beautiful old QE2. So much more elegant. Here she was for comparison, in Auckland Harbour in 2006:
                                  Look at those lines. Er, the shape of the ship I mean, not the mooring ropes.

She really was the last of the 'liners'. In fact, here's a shot I took on the quayside at the same time, which I put the camera into 'sepia' mode for as the view reminded me of nothing so much as the Titanic dockside at Southampton in 1912:

Comment

Ship of the day

Sits wrote: Took a harbour ferry yesterday which I very rarely do. You live somewhere and don't look. Sydney's a great place; people actually commute on this ferry.
                                    I've a friend who used to do that. He now lives in Watford...

Comment

Ship of the day

On today's bike ride, we saw this beast - one of the guys I ride with works with the navy fixing stuff, and told me that this is the newest boat in the US navy. Its job is to drop loads of marines off in places for them to go and fight unnecessary wars. To do that it has a way of filling up with ballast that drops it down low in the water, and a giant door at the back opens up, to allow smaller boats to come in and out. It's the Matryoshka Doll of boats. Navy dude also told me that the young recruits whose job it is to drive the small boats in and out are not necessarily the calmest of heads, and tend to do a fair amount of damage when docking a little too fast (not a euphemism).

Comment

Ship of the day

Also a euphemism, as the young women of San Diego will attest.

Does this monstrosity have a name?

Comment

Ship of the day

It is the USS John P Murtha.

It is a San Antonio class amphibious dock ship says Wiki.

Comment

Ship of the day

The Tall Ships Festival in Greenwich starts on Thursday but boats have already started to arrive, looking forward to taking some photos of them and trying to work out how to post them.

Perhaps I'll leave the latter to GY.

Comment

Ship of the day

Oh, so they have. Just a couple visible from my flat. Official photos below. I'll try to get my own shots later in the week.

Comment

Ship of the day

Another one today. Too far away to tell for sure which it is in this light, but I think it's this one.

Four masts and a Portuguese ensign, anyway.

Comment

Ship of the day

I had the same problem GY, the Norwegian ship looks magnificent and it's mooring has been changed. I expect more of the 30 to be in tomorrow.

Comment

Ship of the day

Shame the weather wouldn't cooperate.

Also, more fireworks.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X