Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southport Zeb
    replied
    I got the ferry from Birkenhead to Belfast around this time last year. It's twice daily each way. Cars go on the top deck, which means having to drive up an extremely slope ramp before taking a sharp turn at the top, within inches of having got back level.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Lovely

Is that a regular route?

How often are the sailings?

Leave a comment:

• Third rate Leszno
    replied
    Stena Line ferry from Belfast coming into the Mersey to dock at Birkenhead this evening.

Leave a comment:

• Greenlander
    replied
    Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
    Apparently someone down there who owns a ferry (not sure how) is doing mini cruises out to the cruise ships to see them close up
    Bit late but I'm guessing it's the kind of passenger ferry that tootles around the harbour on sunny days rather than the massive 40000 tonne things I play with on a daily basis. Something like this:

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Somewhat concerned to see this pollution control vessel heading upriver

​​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    One measure of the width of the Hudson is that the George Washington Bridge (the first (and still the only) bridge to cross it within NYC) was the longest span in the world at the time it was built.

Another is that my first impression of the Thames, Seine, Arno, Tiber, Spree, etc was that they were all quite narrow.

Here's another picture of Odessa in the Hudson, much closer to the Battery (our offices are in the black tower on the right).

Blavatnik has since bought a larger boat, so this one is available for charter for about USD 250,000 a week.

Leave a comment:

• S. aureus
    replied
    I think Sits was commenting on how far away the other shore was behind the yacht in the picture.

Leave a comment:

• caja-dglh
    replied
    As superyachts go, that one is pretty nice. Sits - both the Hudson and the East River are remarkably wide, though the yachts only hang out on the Hudson side of Manhattan.

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    Never realised how wide the Hudson was.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    One of Len Blavatnik's suoeryachts (all named Odessa) is currently moored in the Hudson, a bit closer to FF's gaff than ours

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Meta.

(That's not the name of the ferry company, BTW).

Leave a comment:

• pebblethefish
    replied
    Apparently someone down there who owns a ferry (not sure how) is doing mini cruises out to the cruise ships to see them close up

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    Hmm, struggling with the 2MB limit on files but there are 6 cruise ships at anchor off Weymouth

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    Hijack it for the BHS pension creditors.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    That was the idea behind "former".

It's on charter now. USD 425,000 a week.

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    Lady Green's, surely...

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Philip Green's former superyacht is currently moored less than 200 metres off of FF's.gaff.

Leave a comment:

• Paul S
    replied
    Here's a picture of the shipyard from the other side of the water taken when I did that part of the SWCP last year:

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Appledore having a shipbuilding industry always strikes me as being delightfully quirky.

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    I think that’s good news. As long as Appledore remains as pretty as it is now.

Leave a comment:

• Paul S
    replied
    Some good news from the British shipbuilding industry for once, Appledore shipyard is to reopen:

Appledore Shipyard in Devon closed in March 2019 but has now been bought by InfraStrata.

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul S View Post
    He then sold it to Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich who then lost it in a bet to fellow Russian businessman and current owner Eugene Shvidler.
    How quickly can it do the Kessel run?

Leave a comment:

• Paul S
    replied
    Look what's turned up in the Thames Estuary this morning, it's the super-yacht Le Grand Bleu. At 371ft it's the 36th longest yacht in the World and was originally built for the American businessman John McCaw Jr. He then sold it to Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich who then lost it in a bet to fellow Russian businessman and current owner Eugene Shvidler. The yacht is so big it carries two additional yachts to the rear of the vessel. One is a 73ft sail boat and the other is the yachts powerboat (and visible in this photo) at a mere 68ft.

I wonder what she is doing moored off the Isle of Sheppy right now.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Interesting

The ongoing plight of the crews has been an underreported aspect of the entire cruise ship debacle

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53720419

Leave a comment:

Working...
X