Branson stuck in the 80's

Richard or Missouri?

Comment

That'll put him in a pickle.

Comment

That would be richard. A mate on fb passed on the image after it had been liked by B.Maher. I have no idea what Branson's done with it. If it's a full page add in a paper or what

Comment

I was expecting to see him in a hot air balloon with Per Lindstrand, who to my childhood eyes in the mid-80s always reminded me of Chris Woods.

Comment

Why is there a full stop after every country?
            And why is there no exclamation mark after God Bless America?

Comment

Because they all represent individual statements and because, I imagine, the author wished to convey a flat delivery rather than an exclamation.

Comment

It's a 1981 print ad by Handgun Control Inc. They were an advocacy group that apparently struggled financially until after the death of John Lennon. An influx of supporters financed ads like this one. They apparently folded in with the James Brady gun control folks after the Reagan assassination attempt.

Comment

The general rule about exclamation points in advertising copy is to never, ever have them under any circumstances.

Comment

Yeah, HCI re-branded itself as the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence in 2000, to honor the substantial efforts that Sarah Brady (who was a senior executive with them for more than a decade) and her husband had made in the campaign for gun control.

It's interesting to me that the ad is from the year that James Brady and Reagan were shot, though my guess is that it pre-dates that event.

Comment

Pietro Paolo Virdis wrote:
                      "God Bless UKIP", surely?

Comment

So what you're telling me is that this add is old? Quite old?

The trick in such case which fooled me is the number for Sweden. No way that so many people were killed by guns in Sweden at that time. Very much so now, here, today.

Comment

Yeah, it's 35 years old.

I'm pretty sure that the US number would be higher now

Comment

Oddly, I turned up an article that says, almost across the board, the numbers are pretty much the same today.

Comment

There are a lot of ways to slice and dice them, and the question of whether one includes suicides and "police involved shootings" is particularly important.

In order to do a real comparison, you would need to know what basis the 1981 figures used.

Comment

Here. With link at bottom.

http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/death-rate-statistics-1981-gun-control-ad-look-familiar-142193

http://readersupportednews.org/news-section2/335-156/12554-58-murders-a-year-by-firearms-in-britain-8775-in-us

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: In order to do a real comparison, you would need to know what basis the 1981 figures used.
                                  Indeed. There's some source noted in faint lettering under the column of stats, but damned if I can make it out.

Comment

The general rule about exclamation points in advertising copy is to never, ever have them under any circumstances.
                                    Or indeed anywhere else. (Well, anywhere that isn't dialogue.)

Some years ago, a friend showed me an 'official warning'-type email his girlfriend had sent her ex regarding who owned what after they split. She'd used exclamations so ridiculously frequently that the entire tone was by default rendered both trivial and hilarious. So, be warned, or something.

Comment

It says "Based on 1979 statistics." So that's nice.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: Some years ago, a friend showed me an 'official warning'-type email his girlfriend had sent her ex regarding who owned what after they split. She'd used exclamations so ridiculously frequently that the entire tone was by default rendered both trivial and hilarious. So, be warned, or something.
                                        Especially if Elaine's friend has her baby.

Comment

Remembering 1979 fairly vividly, I'm surprised that the UK toll was that low.

Comment

Pietro Paolo Virdis wrote: So what you're telling me is that this add is old? Quite old?
                                            Psst, PPV, there is no longer a country called West Germany. Just, y'know, for reference...

Comment

Janik wrote:
                                              Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis
                                              So what you're telling me is that this add is old? Quite old?
                                              Psst, PPV, there is no longer a country called West Germany. Just, y'know, for reference...
                                              Well, that was why I said Branson was stuck in the 80's because I thought he made an error. As it turns out, probably I did.

Comment

It's an astonishing figure regardless.

No, it is a figure especially astonishing.

It's not twice the number, five or ten-fold. It's in the millenium-fold.

Comment

Some stats for 2013 from the Center for Disease Control

All injury deaths
                                                  Number of deaths: 192,945
                                                  Deaths per 100,000 population: 60.2

All poisoning deaths
                                                  Number of deaths: 48,545
                                                  Deaths per 100,000 population: 15.4

Motor vehicle traffic deaths
                                                  Number of deaths: 33,804
                                                  Deaths per 100,000 population: 10.7

All firearm deaths
                                                  Number of deaths: 33,636
                                                  Deaths per 100,000 population: 10.6
                                                  Note that the "firearm" figure would include homicides, suicides, "police involved" shootings and "accidental" shootings, and combine the stats for both handguns and long guns.

For firearms, the number of suicides is roughly twice the number of homicides.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X