Things that help you go to sleep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched the movie Seven again, where Morgan Freeman is depressed due to the area he has to deal with and has basically given up on humanity. He goes to sleep by starting a Metronome. Any sort of ticking would have me annoyed and unable to sleep.

Putting on a movie which I know that I like, one earplug, low volume, just listening to the dialogue. That's unfortunately something I got used to, to the point few other things can make me sleep.

I need to read before bed. In bed, like. If I read on the couch and then go upstairs, I'm awake again by the time I'm under the covers.

Comment

I like to watch DVDs of Serie A from the mid-to-late 80s. Where Maldini is passing it to Baresi and back again for 85 minutes.

Comment

I need to read before bed. In bed, like. If I read on the couch and then go upstairs, I'm awake again by the time I'm under the covers
        I should hope you are, else you'd be narcoleptic.

But, yeah, reading always does it for me. The next time I pick up the book, I have to re-read the previous four pages since all syntax would've been lost in the maelstrom of pre-sleep mad-thought.

Failing that, whisky, five-knuckle, Mogadon...

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: I like to watch DVDs of Serie A from the mid-to-late 80s. Where Maldini is passing it to Baresi and back again for 85 minutes.
          Or those Liverpool ones. Clemence, to Neal, to Clemence, to Hansen, to Clemence, to Neal, to Clemence, to A. Kennedy, to Clemence ...

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: The next time I pick up the book, I have to re-read the previous four pages since all syntax would've been lost in the maelstrom of pre-sleep mad-thought.
            Yes, that two-minute window before you think "I should turn out the light. This makes no sense whatsoever" is quite something. Drunky stoney dreaminess that makes you questions your sanity.

Comment

treibeis wrote:
              Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair Fan
              I like to watch DVDs of Serie A from the mid-to-late 80s. Where Maldini is passing it to Baresi and back again for 85 minutes.
              Or those Liverpool ones. Clemence, to Neal, to Clemence, to Hansen, to Clemence, to Neal, to Clemence, to A. Kennedy, to Clemence ...
              Or reading comments from Liverpool fans on any forum. That does it also. It's like the same sheep skipping the same fence over and over.

Comment

Dey do dough, don't dey?

Comment

BBC World Service

Comment

Pietro Paolo Virdis wrote:
                    Originally posted by treibeis
                    Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair Fan
                    Or reading comments from Liverpool fans on any forum. That does it also. It's like the same sheep skipping the same fence over and over.
                    Zzzzzzzzzzzzz..............

Comment

I try to do some work. I'm guaranteed to be dozing within minutes.

Comment

The only thing that seems to help me sleep is attending conference panels in the afternoon. Which isn't very helpful, either for sleeping or for journalism.

Comment

I build airships in my head.

If that doesn't work I take a beta blocker.

Comment

If I drink anything at lunch, I can sleep in the afternoon, particularly if I have important stuff to do.

And reading at night. Even if it's just a handful of sentences, as long as I read a tiny bit of a book, I'll usually fall asleep very easily.

Comment

We're not talking about sex, right? Only that... well, that would be TMI!

Other than that, reading, yes. The whole reason I don't read much is because I fall asleep almost instantly upon reading!

Ale helps, of course. I find the darker, richer ales are best. Pale and golden ales barely make me sleepy at all, whereas a 'winter ale' of some kind will have me falling asleep on the sofa if I'm not careful!

Comment

VLC Media Player set to shuffle - the combination of enjoyment and familiarity of the many random videos on my hard drive (the one I'd let other people bear witness to anyway) means I can just switch off my brain and drift off.

Comment

Yes, that two-minute window before you think "I should turn out the light. This makes no sense whatsoever" is quite something. Drunky stoney dreaminess that makes you questions your sanity.
                                  It does - though sometimes I wish I could tap into that sh*t when lucid...

Comment

The vibrations of a moving train or car put me to sleep within minutes every time, good thing I don't drive. I reckon about 15% of my total weekly sleeping time is during my commute.

Comment

I envy people who can sleep on planes, trains, etc. Totally eludes me. Mrs WOM once fell asleep mid-way through a sentence in the car.

Comment

WOM wrote: I envy people who can sleep on planes, trains, etc. Totally eludes me. Mrs WOM once fell asleep mid-way through a sentence in the car.
                                        Yours or hers? I'd understand if it was the former.

Comment

Stilnox.

Comment

Sean of the Shed wrote:
                                            Originally posted by WOM
                                            I envy people who can sleep on planes, trains, etc. Totally eludes me. Mrs WOM once fell asleep mid-way through a sentence in the car.
                                            Yours or hers? I'd understand if it was the former.
                                            Nicely done.

Comment

I am fucking hopeless when it comes to falling asleep. The tiniest things can keep me awake, even if I've not slept well the previous night. I can't sleep easily in strange beds either, so holidays or visits to family usually end up with me awake at three in the morning reading something to try and help me nod off. Knowing Ineed to get up eearly also makes it worse, too, and once I can tell I'm not going to get to sleep I become increasingly irritable and have to get up again.

Comment

A cryptic crossword normally works for me. I think it's my brain's way of coping with its shortcomings.

Comment

Sean of the Shed wrote: I am fucking hopeless when it comes to falling asleep. The tiniest things can keep me awake, even if I've not slept well the previous night. I can't sleep easily in strange beds either, so holidays or visits to family usually end up with me awake at three in the morning reading something to try and help me nod off. Knowing Ineed to get up eearly also makes it worse, too, and once I can tell I'm not going to get to sleep I become increasingly irritable and have to get up again.
                                                  All of this.

When I do manage to nod off, TLMG reliably informs me that it's usually after a period of gently rubbing my feet together. Presumably this is a comfort thing.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X