No announcement yet.

OTF life-hacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use lighter fluid to get grease and oil spots off of clothes.

Comment

Not sure that this exactly meets the qualification criteria for this thread, but I've recently discovered, or perhaps confirmed my suspicion, that my dishwasher's Quick programme (29 minutes) is just as effective on one of our usual loads as the default Eco programme (2 hours, 50 minutes). It might not work as well with burnt-on gunge, I suppose, but for the usual mugs, plates and cutlery it's fine.

I'm hoping that being a non-eco option doesn't mean that it uses huge amounts of water and power.
      Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 31-05-2021, 07:48.

Comment

We set our dishwasher to go overnight, so it doesn't matter how long it takes.

No-one ever explained the milk-pouring thing. But we did go through the whole lighter fluid / acetone thing twice.

Comment

I don't follow the milk pouring hack either, though that may be because cartons here almost all have plastic spouts with caps, rather than the old school type one had to pinch.

Comment

I reverted to pouring the milk the "traditional" way. Splash-splash-splash. I've reverted to the counter-intuitive method.

But a recently-learnt hack has serve4d me very well: to prevent bananas going brown, wrap the tip in aluminium foil (needn't be tight). That has doubled the freshness span of our bananas.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
              I reverted to pouring the milk the "traditional" way. Splash-splash-splash. I've reverted to the counter-intuitive method.

But a recently-learnt hack has serve4d me very well: to prevent bananas going brown, wrap the tip in aluminium foil (needn't be tight). That has doubled the freshness span of our bananas.
              With the additional benefit that the government can no longer read their thoughts.

Comment

My Nesquik tip must have been on a different thread.

Put in the powder, add a splash of hot water, dissolve the powder into a paste, then fill with cold milk. No powdery lumps.

Comment

My Nesquik tip is avoid it

Comment

My Nesquik tip is situated just off Junction 4 northbound on the M5.

Feel free to dump your Nesquik there any time.

Comment

You guys need to visit the mundane thread. Current hot tip there is "if you're finding parenting hard, just sell your children".

Comment

A tip I learned from my nephew. Eating a pear is easier if you eat it like a chicken drumstick. Hold the narrow end and bite from the wide end.

Comment

How were you eating it before?

Comment

The way you eat apples? Sitting on your rocking chair on the porch slicing it with your bowie knife?

Comment

Haha. Yes of course. Why do they obvious easy thing when you could introduce an unnecessary knife into proceedings?

Comment

Well, the knife and the middle-distance squint, as you mentally take stock of everyone who's wronged you and with whom there's a score to settle. I'm not sure the pear is the right fruit for that, though. They drip a lot.

Comment

The problem with pears is that, depending on their ripeness, either the bit near the stalk or their fat bottom part is tastier. So there are different ways of eating them based on this factor.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post

Important question--are your milk cartons the rectangular box kind, the plastic jug kind or the cardboard "pitched roof" kind? I'm having trouble imagining why yours splashes so much.

I learned from the internet that bananas open easier if you do it the way the monkeys do it--from the bottom, rather than from the stalk end. It really works.

I run my dishwasher late at night too, so it doesn't matter how long it takes.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                                      I learned from the internet that bananas open easier if you do it the way the monkeys do it--from the bottom, rather than from the stalk end. It really works.
                                      When you say the internet, do you mean this board? It's known in our house as 'the WOM method'

Comment

Fussbudget It's possible--I really don't remember exactly where I saw it. I would have sworn it was on one of those click-baity listicle things.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                          How were you eating it before?
                                          I dunno really. When I was a kid I used to pull the stalk because if that came out it meant the pear was ripe so I would then eat the pointy bit first. Then when I was older I'd eat it more like an apple but holding the bigger bit while biting into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post

Important question--are your milk cartons the rectangular box kind, the plastic jug kind or the cardboard "pitched roof" kind? I'm having trouble imagining why yours splashes so much.
                                            This kind

Comment

G-Man that's what I suspected (that's what I meant by rectangular box kind). Those can be tricky, especially when full.

Comment

I'd just snip one of the top corners with scissors and then pour from that (it always used to be how we did it before the cartons had plastic caps, and that method doesn't splash)

Comment

Do Canadians still have those milk bags? Those worked surprisingly well, but they're the only country I've seen them in.

Life hack content: Kiwi fruit skin is delicious (like apple skin), and nutritious. Don't peel Kiwi fruit, just slice it up.

Comment

Certain provinces do (Ontario being the largest)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X