Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watershed speech/meeting/email/phone call at work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have just done an email to my head which, without going into details is one of those where you think "Hold on a minute", put the record straight, dig your feet in, fight your corner and know that, whether you get sacked or promoted because of it, you know you are doing the right thing (assuming you have passed it by your significant other beforehand).

I have done this a fair few times over the years and, broadly, have been very happy with the consequences but, whenever you press "send"/open the boss' door/dial that number, it is like jumping off a high diving board. There is no going back.

You?

Prepared speech: "Up with this I shall not put! Thus far and no further! Line in sand!"

(opens door to boss' office)

Actual speech: "Yeah, I thought maybe, if it could - although I understand totally if it can't - then another way of doing this might be ... ooh, a chocolate biscuit? For me? Too kind!"

Prepared speech later delivered at home, to the walls.

Comment

Had one only last week, when I handed in my notice. I've been working since I left school at 18 after 'A' levels, and it's only the second time I've ever done it.

Feels weird.

Comment

tee rex wrote: Prepared speech: "Up with this I shall not put! Thus far and no further! Line in sand!"

(opens door to boss' office)

Actual speech: "Yeah, I thought maybe, if it could - although I understand totally if it can't - then another way of doing this might be ... ooh, a chocolate biscuit? For me? Too kind!"

Prepared speech later delivered at home, to the walls.
        That was what the original meeting was like, hence me delivering prepared speech in email form in the holidays.

The digital version of "Light the blue touchpaper and retreat immediately"

Comment

Well, that's odd. I just got this reply (edited naturally)

Dear..... I am on Hols now for a week. I have arranged further support which I hope should ease things for you next term. I appreciate your work and hope to ensure that the next Two terms are positive for you. Please take time to rest and enjoy hols. We can talk when I get back.
          That basically means "Calm the fuck down, you mentalist, it's the hols", doesn't it?

Comment

That basically means "Calm the fuck down, you mentalist, it's the hols", doesn't it?

No, don't be so pessimistic.

It means "I hope you'll have forgotten about this by the time school starts up again, so I won't have to do anything about it."

At least, that's what it would mean where I work (I'm not a teacher, by the way.)

I wrote an e-mail at the beginning of this week, explaining why our nominal head of department shouldn't be, and legally isn't, allowed to have any say at all in individual co-workers' pay negotiations - because he's a freelancer.

(Yes, that's an example of the sort of half-arsed (and illegal) staff policies that are employed by the quarter-arsed company that I work for.)

Because tomorrow's the last day before the long weekend, I fully expect to receive a reply in exactly 24 hours from now - and I know the person who replies will hope I'll have forgotten all about it by next Tuesday.

Comment

That's a lot of bullshit and bureaucracy for two or three people in a crazy golf kiosk. Consider my application withdrawn.

Guten tag to you, sir.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: Well, that's odd. I just got this reply (edited naturally)

Dear..... I am on Hols now for a week. I have arranged further support which I hope should ease things for you next term. I appreciate your work and hope to ensure that the next Two terms are positive for you. Please take time to rest and enjoy hols. We can talk when I get back.
                I reckon it's more a case of 'I knew we'd be having this chat at some point, just been avoiding it as long as possible. Can we do this when I get back ?'

Comment

In reply to myself:

If there's one thing I'm aiming to achieve before I leave this fucking place, it's to get rid of this fucker.

During his inauguration speech - as a head of a department in a company that doesn't actually employ him -, he said "Anybody who isn't motivated enough to do the job is free to fuck off and stop blocking jobs for people who are motivated."

(I know Tony Wilson said something very similar when he was running Factory, but I don't work for Factory.)

So this cunt, without any idea at all a) whether people are actually motivated or not or b) the possible reasons behind people's possible lack of motivation, starts basically preaching blind loyalty - although he's not prepared to show any commitment himself, otherwise he'd sign the contract they offered him.

Life's too short to have to put up with people like that.

Comment

WOM wrote: That's a lot of bullshit and bureaucracy for two or three people in a crazy golf kiosk. Consider my application withdrawn.

Guten tag to you, sir.
                    Very good.

You may jest, but there's more bullshit than you'd imagine (I mentioned it a few weeks back, but it's still going on).

There was a bloke there last week (a friend of a friend of The Lady I Walked To The Registry Office With) who did some DIY work in the kiosk. We agreed in advance how much he should get (I in fact ASKED him how much he wanted) and he did a very good job.

Last Sunday, however, he had nothing better to do than to tell me, for half an hour, how great his prices were and how he ought to have charged more. After he'd finished telling me that, he told me how shit the plumber was who'd fitted the sink. Then, after finding out what my day job is, he said, "Desk job? So, basically you do nothing, then."

My reply - "Regardless of how much or how little I can or can't do, it's enough to fucking pay you" - won't win any Charmer Of The Year awards but, as I mentioned, life's too short to listen to ... well, most people I come across.

Comment

You see, your response ought to have been "perfect preparation for running a mini golf kiosk".

Comment

Hugh Fatbastard wrote:
                        Originally posted by Bored of Education
                        Well, that's odd. I just got this reply (edited naturally)

I reckon it's more a case of 'I knew we'd be having this chat at some point, just been avoiding it as long as possible. Can we do this when I get back ?'
                        Well, the meeting that instigated my email was on the Friday just before we broke up so you may be right.

By the way, I really like the head and the school, it's just that they needed reminding that I took on a job because they asked me to fully knowing that I wasn't experienced enough and needed more support than most.

Comment

Don't worry. You won't be there long...

Comment

I meet my boss about once a month. And like to keep it that way.

Comment

My boss sits 25 feet away and I'll go two weeks sometimes without speaking to her. We get on fine and she basically says "Keep doing what you're doing so I don't need to worry about it."

Comment

Working...
                              X