"This is no way to carry on in God's house"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Strangeways Riot started 25 years ago today.

Remember seeing it on TV as a nipper and not having a clue what was going on, but being terrified by the hoods:

I remember the BBC talking head gravely suggesting the ringleader had deep psychological problems because he was pretending to ride the rooftop chimney like a horse.

Comment

I somehow managed not to have been previously aware of this.

It's quite interesting. The death toll is amazingly low by US standards given the length of the siege.

Comment

Not only did it lead to the Woolf Report (not sure how far the recommendations were implemented, to be honest), one can imagine a young EIM and chums picking up some millinery tips on their down the Arndale Market.

Comment

Also, I've never really given much thought as to how odd a name "Strangeways" is. For etymology fans:

Strangeways was recorded in 1322 as Strangwas from the Anglo-Saxon Strang and gewęsc meaning "[a place by] a stream with a strong current".
          Makes sense.

Responding to yourself should be banned.

Comment

beak wrote: Not only did it lead to the Woolf Report (not sure how far the recommendations were implemented, to be honest), one can imagine a young EIM and chums picking up some millinery tips on their down the Arndale Market.
            The MEN ran a series of photos the other day and I'll not lie, they all looked smart as fuck. In fact I went out on Saturday in what was labelled 'Strangeways Steez' which given we were drinking in Cheetham Hill was probably fairly appropriate.

The hoods are a bit Scarecrow from Batman Begins, aren't they? I was meant to be in a music video for Moscow Death Brigade recently, but didn't make it as I had ballie envy. I wish I'd thought of a Scarecrow hood.

Comment

There's no place on earth like the Strangeways Hotel.

Comment

I'd have somert to say about the bloke in the middles' trainers, like.

Comment

beak wrote:

Nicked. The picture, not the trainers.

Comment

Again, I should know this, but are English prisoners not required to wear uniforms?

Comment

The Strangeways riot was the only time my friend has seen his father in about 35 years, and certainly the only one he can remember.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: Again, I should know this, but are English prisoners not required to wear uniforms?
                        Depends on category and behaviour. Generally if you behave and are in a low grade prison you'll be allowed to wear your own clothes.

Comment

I was in hospital, being diagnosed with epilepsy after my second fit. It was very odd watching it on the TV in the kid's ward with the walls painted with slightly wonky Disney characters.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: I somehow managed not to have been previously aware of this.

It's quite interesting. The death toll is amazingly low by US standards given the length of the siege.
                            I've just glanced at a few disturbingly graphic accounts of US prison riots, which has further added to my sense that US prisons are on an entirely different level of hellishness from those over here.

Comment

Indeed.

The Attica Riot was an important part of my adolescence (I was 12).

43 dead.

Comment

beak wrote:

That's rather a large knife he has in his hand, so I'd have nothing to say about his trainers. Anyway, he and chimney bloke seem to be digging the guitar playing.

Comment

Working...
                                X