Is this some kind of joke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So. Despite serving with the British Army in North Africa and Italy, Gnr Milligan 954024 was point blank refused British Citizenship and a passport after the war.

Now. In adding insult to injury, the Royal Mail is to issue a stamp in his honour.

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2015/apr/01/royal-mail-stamps-feature-comedy-greats-april-fools-day

He was born outside the UK (in India) so had to officially swear an oath of allegiance to the crown in order to take up his right to British nationality. He refused. Somewhat paradoxically, he later accepted a knighthood.

But yeah, he should officially be on an An Post stamp, not a Royal Mail one.

Comment

Antonio Pulisao wrote: He was born outside the UK (in India) so had to officially swear an oath of allegiance to the crown in order to take up his right to British nationality. He refused. Somewhat paradoxically, he later accepted a knighthood.

But yeah, he should officially be on an An Post stamp, not a Royal Mail one.
      An oath he'd already undertaken when he was conscripted, IIRC?

Comment

I should know this, but when did Royl Mail start putting living non-royals on stamps?

The U.S. still doesn't do that.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: I should know this, but when did Royl Mail start putting living non-royals on stamps?

2005 Ashes victory, IIRC

(Though they were "commemorative only" stamps - not issued as standard 1st class ones)

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: I should know this, but when did Royl Mail start putting living non-royals on stamps?

There was a stamp in the Millennium Series in 1999 featuring a photo of the late Freddie Mercury on stage, that also had Roger Taylor in the background.

So since 1999.

Comment

I love the idea that you're mildly embarrassed about not knowing an arcane fact about a different country's postal traditions. Its why you're one of the best things about OTF, dear boy.

Comment

Working...
              X