Goodluck, and goodnight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goodluck, and goodnight.

Can anyone tell me what is occurring in Nigeria?

Goodluck, and goodnight.

Traditionally, political contests there operate along geographical and religious lines, with southern Christians backing Jonathan and northern Muslims supporting Buhari, but perhaps frustration with corruption caused voters for the incumbent to switch sides.

Comment

Goodluck, and goodnight.

OK.

I know sod all. Which ones are voting for Boko Haram?

Comment

Goodluck, and goodnight.

Thanks DR.

I googled a wee bit.

This is not going to end well?

Comment

Goodluck, and goodnight.

It depends on how Jonathan and his cronies take the result, which will essentially depend on whether they are satisfied with the billions they've managed to steal to date.

Comment

Goodluck, and goodnight.

Ah, sorry, UA.

Popcorn time.

What happens if the west, lose?

Comment

Goodluck, and goodnight.

A lot of things would have to go wrong for Boko Haram to take serious hold of the country. That said, it isn't as if it the new lot have an unblemished record of enlightened governance.

Comment

Goodluck, and goodnight.

gerontophile wrote: OK.

I know sod all. Which ones are voting for Boko Haram?
                None, I presume - your fundamentalist types don't go in for "unIslamic heresies" like voting. As the Beeb say, there's never been a free handover of power before, but democracy seems to have taken firm root there since Obasanjo left, at least.

Comment

Goodluck, and goodnight.

Surely "Hard luck, Jonathan" was a good thread title.

Comment

Goodluck, and goodnight.

You'd miss the play on the Clooney film, though.

Comment

Goodluck, and goodnight.

The new/old military leader big on flogging people for minor infractions and hanging drug dealers on the beach. You don't often get incumbent parties complaining about vote rigging. Boko Haram not happy with either party. Not at all good news.

Comment

Goodluck, and goodnight.

I really don't like Goodluck Jonathan, but his concession is a significant moment for Nigerian and African politics. It's not often in Africa that a leader concedes an election to an opposition candidate, and it's the first time in Nigeria.

Comment

Goodluck, and goodnight.

FWIW, my Nigerian friends are delighted with this result. Shocked, but delighted. And on the traditional/nominal "other side".

Comment

Goodluck, and goodnight.

G-Man wrote: I really don't like Goodluck Jonathan, but his concession is a significant moment for Nigerian and African politics. It's not often in Africa that a leader concedes an election to an opposition candidate, and it's the first time in Nigeria.
                            Yeah, I've been told that this is the first time ever in post-independence Nigeria that a losing presidential candidate simply congratulates his winning opponent on the night itself, rather than having the election result spiraling out of control and into a riot. Gotta appreciate that.

Comment

Goodluck, and goodnight.

It's too bad TG doesn't post here any more, his perspective here would have been interesting.

Comment

Working...
                              X