Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

England in colour, 1928

National Geographic's view.

Very much a picture postcard tourist's view but interesting. Partly because of the stunning image quality, but mainly due to the details. The two farm workers taking their lunch out of china cups and saucers (set-up or real?) The fact that Oxford had seven postal pick-ups a day. And which war was the old guy selling matches a veteran of? Crimea?

England in colour, 1928

First time hearing of Alexandra Day. That's not still a thing, is it ?

Quite a few pictures of people posting letters there. As though he knew one day they'd be all but extinct.

Comment

England in colour, 1928

Cool. Thanks J.

I googled the "bridge house window, in Ambleside, Lake District", and it's still there and very much the same.

Comment

England in colour, 1928

When I was at primary school, my recollection is that Alexandra rose day was a national charity event second only to poppy day. It still exists but it has lost its prominence.

Comment

England in colour, 1928

It was big when I was kid. When I was about five me and the little girl next door figured we'd emulate the idea and make our own paper flower pins. We sold them door-to-door and made a killing.

Comment

England in colour, 1928

I love that Oxford is "bustling" with 2 people.

I'd assume the war veteran is from one of the Boer wars, at a guess.

Comment

England in colour, 1928

I googled the "bridge house window, in Ambleside, Lake District", and it's still there and very much the same.
              Indeed, WOM. The bridge house is very well known to anyone who goes to the Lake District (which means most people in England who have an interest in hill/mountain walking, plus plenty of others besides).

It wouldn't do to be seen out and about hatless in those days, would it? Love the 1920s cloche hat thing with the ladies.

Comment

England in colour, 1928

La Lanterne Rouge wrote: I love that Oxford is "bustling" with 2 people.

He looks a bit old to be a Boer vet. Most of them would only be in their 40s-50s in 1928.

Comment

England in colour, 1928

First Boer War was 1880. If he was 25 then, he'd look like that picture in '28.

Comment

England in colour, 1928

There were plenty of long-serving soldiers in the late Victorian army so if he'd been, say, 30 in 1899 then the later war would also make sense.

I also suspect he's not as old as he looks.

Comment

England in colour, 1928

On reflection you're probably right, a Crimea Vet would be over eighty, and not many people of that age would look as sprightly as that old guy in 1928.

Anyone able to identify the medals, they'd provide a clue?

Comment

England in colour, 1928

Looks like it very well could be the Queen's South Africa Medal on the left.

Comment

England in colour, 1928

La Lanterne Rouge wrote: I love that Oxford is "bustling" with 2 people.

Britain was constantly at war and conquest all through the 1800's so it really is take your pick.

Comment

England in colour, 1928

I can also see shoelaces and almanacs in his basket. I wonder what else you'd picture a matchstick man peddling.

Comment

England in colour, 1928

Pencils perhaps.

I'm a bit lost as to which country the runty little knight with the white cross on the blue field on his shield is depicting?

Pageants seem to have been huge back then. They regularly appear in novels, and you don't have root far through a box of old photos to find a relative with a blanket draped over them pretending to be Boadicea or King Alfred.

Comment

England in colour, 1928

For that matter, who's the knight with the red cross of St. Andrew?

Is he representing Alabama or Florida?

And is "Canada" in the next shot sponsored by the Canadian Pacific Railway?

Comment

England in colour, 1928

Northern Ireland I'd guess.

The ladies' costumes are perplexing in general. South Africa (I think) is especially puzzling. Both the purple frock and the pirate Smee headgear defeat me.

Comment

England in colour, 1928

ursus arctos wrote:
                                    And is "Canada" in the next shot sponsored by the Canadian Pacific Railway?
                                    That was my question, too.

Comment

England in colour, 1928

I think the ladies did the best they could with what they had to hand. Except for Miss CPR, who went out of her way.

Comment

Working...
                                      X