Margot Wallström - ethical foreign policy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Spectator piece here about the Margot Wallström saga in Sweden.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9481542/swedens-feminist-foreign-minister-has-dared-to-tell-the-truth-about-saudi-arabia-what-happens-now-concerns-us-all/

This line struck me as very depressing but probably true:

[quote]Second, a Europe that is getting older and poorer is starting to find that moral stands in foreign policy are luxuries it can no longer afford.[quote]

Europe is inexorably declining in terms of relative wealth, power and influence around the world. The future belongs to others, who do not share, or give a toss about, our values, and we are going to have to grit our teeth and live with that.

I don't share (or give a toss about) our values, either.

Comment

Well, the values in question are that it's wrong:

- to flog the skin off people's back for blogging

- to have forced child marriages (aka rape of underage girls by old men)

- to subject women to a wide range of legal disabilities and make them effectively subjects of their husbands.

I do care about those values.

Comment

and yes, I realise that the western world has no God-given or other moral right to lay down the law to anyone else. It would just be nice if we didn't have to deal at all with all the nations around the world that do shit, from persecution of minorities to cruel and unusual punishments, that we grew out of mostly well over 100 years ago. The depressing thing is that we can't afford to avoid dealing with those nations, and compromising our principles in doing so.

Comment

The Saudis have returned their ambassador to Stockholm.

The Swedes have ignored Saudi demands for an apology, as they have nothing to apologise for.

Comment

and I wouldn’t bet against anti-Swedish riots following soon.

Comment

Working...
            X