Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ursus, can you help me out?

Or someone else for that matter.

W 103rd street and Broadway in NY, where are we at as far as the area goes? We seem to be in something called Bloomingdale. What's that area like?
    There's Riverside Park to the west and Central Park to the east. What's Riverside Park like?

I have more questions later maybe.

No one really calls it Bloomingdale.

It was called that in the 18th century, but the attempt to reclaim the name is maybe five years old.

It's the Upper West Side, so sort of Seinfeld, but not quite as wealthy (though the area is gentrifying, and one side of that block has a fancy new condo building that was built recently). It's 13 blocks south of Columbia University, and there are now a number of good restaurants around there (incl. the best falafel place for miles on that very block).

We live across the street from Riverside Park and love it to bits. It's quite narrow (maybe 350 metres in width on average, and drops about 50 feet on average from the Riverside Drive side to the side bounding the West Side Highway. It was designed by the same guys who did Central Park.

Comment

Are you in NYC PPV?

Looking at the area map Ursus, is Cascabel Taqueria worth visiting, it wasn't open yet the last time I was there? I usually go to the Fonda on Amsterdam and 108th when I'm craving mexican in that neighborhood.

Comment

Haven't been there.

Noche Mexicana on Amsterdam and 101st is quite good, as is the taco truck on the corner of 96th and Broadway.

Comment

linus wrote: Are you in NYC PPV?

Looking at the area map Ursus, is Cascabel Taqueria worth visiting, it wasn't open yet the last time I was there? I usually go to the Fonda on Amsterdam and 108th when I'm craving mexican in that neighborhood.
          I'm on my way. In a month. My girlfriend has a birthday and it's always been her dream to celebrate it there.

Comment

We're landing on the 5th of May and leaving on the 11th.
            Once I've figured out all the mobster joints we need to visit, all the strip clubs I want her to pay for and found the only speakeasy in NY, I'll post about thorough plans again.

I honestly have no good view of who's who among OTF and of you, who's in NY. Who lives there. I could call for an OTF-athon but who the hell wants to meet me based on how I've behaved here?

More seriously, I don't want to barge in and make it a wish where things turn awkward. If it happens I meet one or two over a simple pint, fine. If not, I'm sure I can get tipsy on my own.

Comment

Let me know your plans - I may well be able to get myself into the apple from the suburbs (in my case Connecticut).

I warn now that May could be challenging. All depends on how the schedule for some other things works out.

Comment

You've got to at least let me buy the two of you a drink, and preferably dinner.

For mobster hangouts, you can start with

Umberto's Clam House

Rao's

and the site of the former Ravenite Social Club,

though contemporary mobsters mostly live in ridiculous mansions in Staten Island that aren't open for visits, particularly those on Todt Hill.

Comment

Thanks for the links and ups.

I'll keep you posted and updated well in advance. It would obviously be fun to meet some of you.* Her birthday is on Friday 8 May where I'm booking a table at Red Rooster in Harlem. http://redroosterharlem.com/
                  So that's one day out of the possible.
                  The restaurant was her own wish which I'm quite surprised by.

*Hell, that sounded weird. I mean all of you. Not some of you as if there are people here I hate and would never want to meet. It would be a pleasure to meet up for a pint. Obviously you, ursus.

Maybe it can be an occasion where y'all meet regardless of me/us. What I meant was; a good time for the NY OTF's to meet again and it simply happens so that we're also there.

Comment

Excellent choice of restaurant

Comment

PPV: get a room. You are making me jealous... if the 'Collective' turn up, you and yours have yourselves an orgiastic time.

(Get the passports, first. I suspect some of those Ursi, are jailbait.)

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: Excellent choice of restaurant
                        When I checked it out, I was stunned at how beautifully it checked out with what I love. I mean, man, jazz sessions just like that!?

Comment

Working...
                        X