Minor Ejaculations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minor Ejaculations

Not that sort... Stop giggling at the back!

Verbals that were common when I was a UK kid but now seemed to have vanished.

Cor! Coo! Cripes! Crikey! Crumbs! Blimey! Lumme! Gosh! Golly! and my Dad's favourite, "Strewth!"

Not intended to be a complete list by any means, just "ouch" words that were accepted on a daily basis in our house. Thing is no present day equivalents appear to exist, or am I wrong? I don't routinely hang out in households that include ten-year-olds so can't be sure, nor do I live in the UK. Do kids move directly to "grown-up swear words" these days, or is there a lexicon of milder epithets I'm just not aware of?

Minor Ejaculations

My days.

Comment

Minor Ejaculations

As in other languages these are often close soundalikes (or at least startalikes) to swearwords or blasphemy.

So the Scottish cartoon oath: 'Jings! Crivvens! Help ma boab!' overlaps with 'Crikey!' in being a bodyswerve around Jesus/Christ.

Blimey came from 'May God blind me'.

My Mum's fave when bashing her thumb or so on was 'sh....ugar' (instead of 'shite')

Comment

Minor Ejaculations

My mother used expressions like that, while my father usually went for the full-fat version. I grew up in the 80s.

Comment

Minor Ejaculations

I usually go with 'bums!' for minor annoyances. Or 'pissflaps', but that doesn't seem quite so innocent.

Comment

Minor Ejaculations

I’m familiar with many of the words in AdC’s list only through reading comics and Billy Bunter books; to this day, I’ve never heard anybody say ‘Lumme’ or ‘Cripes’.

I haven’t read, or even seen, a kid’s comic for about 30-odd years, but they still exist, don’t they?

Comment

Minor Ejaculations

In the Hovis advert that was my youth you'd hear some crackers from the older folks: "hell's teeth!" "blood and sand!"

Comment

Minor Ejaculations

Corks, readers!

Comment

Minor Ejaculations

My Mum used "Hells teeth!" when she was really pissed off. It vied for popularity with "Oh my stars and garters!"

I think even I'm too old for "Corks!" Lumme was common though, usually preceded with "Cor!" "Cripes" was already verging on parody. I think I used it because it was common in Jennings books.

I’m familiar with many of the words in AdC’s list only through reading comics and Billy Bunter books;

Good point. It's hard to whether they reflected or influenced childhood slang. Probably both.

Comment

Minor Ejaculations

I'm seriously chuffed to have evidence that real people actually used "Strewth!"

Cripes actually made it over here.

Comment

Minor Ejaculations

Surely only Penfold ever actually said "crumbs"?

Comment

Minor Ejaculations

No, I used Crumbs. Mainly at my grandparent's. My gran was a bit sensitive to bad language, and it was one explicative I knew wouldn't give her the vapours. She never really forgave me for claiming "turd" in Scrabble when I was about eight.

Comment

Minor Ejaculations

Shithammers! is my swear of choice.

Comment

Minor Ejaculations

"oh sh.... ugar"
                            "oh sh.... ine a light"

Comment

Minor Ejaculations

hobbes wrote: Shithammers! is my swear of choice.
                              ...which defeats the purpose of euphemisms...

Comment

Minor Ejaculations

hobbes wrote: Shithammers! is my swear of choice.
                                We know. You only just told us...

Comment

Minor Ejaculations

Can I help it if I'm a bit forgetful in my dotage?

Comment

Minor Ejaculations

ursus arctos wrote: I'm seriously chuffed to have evidence that real people actually used "Strewth!"
                                    Contraction of 'God's Truth', isn't it? Probably quite popular in the 19th century.

Comment

Minor Ejaculations

Strewth was a big one In Battle comic.

Comment

Minor Ejaculations

When I'm trying not to say "What the fuck?" in front of the kids I say "Jiminy Cricket", which I nicked off of Frank Burns on M*A*S*H.

Comment

Minor Ejaculations

I end up saying 'good lord!', which immediately annoys me as I'm not especially religious. I feel like I'm mildly blaspheming someone I'm not sure I believe in.

Comment

Minor Ejaculations

"Jesus Wept!" was my mother's epithet of choice.

Comment

Minor Ejaculations

It's a little 18th century I know but I really like zounds, which some googling puts in the same family as

blimey
                                              gadzooks
                                              strewth
                                              drat

Comment

Minor Ejaculations

I work with a guy who uses "crumbs" still, in 2015. While I think of it another colleague occasionally uses "bother" to express irritation.

Comment

Minor Ejaculations

I'd forgotten about drat. Definitely in heavy usage when I was ten.

La Signora still uses "Coo" and "Gosh." It's really quite sweet, but most Canadians are totally nonplussed.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X