Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not a number !!!

...ok, well, actually I am.

I've signed on to be a lab specimen; to be poked, prodded, scanned and interviewed.

All in the name of science, so some of you lot may reap some benefits.

There's not much to do, other than turn up once every three years and have my vitals taken and answer a few questions.

It's for the Canadian Longitudinal Study on Aging.

When I told Mrs. FB's aunt about it, she said she was involved in a senior's walking study, and her husband was part of a group studying the effects of exercise and protein in seniors.

Initially thinking I was something special, it turns out that you can't swing a dead cat without hitting someone involved in a study.

What about any of you lot ?

Anyone currently or formerly under the microscope for the betterment of mankind ?

I am not a number !!!

No, but, as the survivor of a "brain event" La Signora regularly has electrodes strapped to her in the name of science.

She finds it all pretty interesting, and generally ends up becoming friends with the researchers, who are eager to talk about what they're doing with (and to) their subjects.

Comment

I am not a number !!!

My mom's in some kind of study on blood platelets/creatine levels/liver function. I don't think I know anything more about it than that, which is a bit sad.

Comment

I am not a number !!!

I'm enjoying it so far.

The fellow they sent around for the home interview was very friendly, as were the ladies at the lab end of things.

I was a bit sad to leave after three hours, knowing it'd be three years before I saw them again.

.. or perhaps that's a bit too maudlin.

the memory / acuity tests were fun.

try one :

first state the numbers 1 to 20 (in order)
        next recite the alphabet in order
        now alternate the two : 1-A-2-B-3-C and so on.

simplistic, but it's hard to keep the pace up.

Comment

Working...
        X