Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DANGER at work.

(This post might ramble, sorry.)

I work in a shop. We sell kitchen equipment to both trade and everyday punters.

One of our biggest sellers is knives. Proper, serious chef-fing knives.

We have a great display behind the 'jump' (tills), out of reach of customers for obvious reasons, but they sit there on a semi-magnetic wall, glistening with their elegant deadliness.

I work in a less than salubrious area of Brighton. It is slightly away from the main drags, but is still busy, especially on a Saturday, with walk-ins, and as we only recently opened, we are getting a lot of people in, who didn't know we existed until recently.

Anyway, yesterday. A potential customer walks in, and I am standing at the door, doing the greeting thing (which is fine, as I have a nice smile, and can make others smile with a well turned phrase), and asks me 'What is the sharpest knife that you sell?'

ALARM BELLS. I mean what the actual fuck. I could describe this gentleman simply by saying that he looked like the guy from 'Hellraiser', without the needles.

So, taking him at (ahem) face-value, I showed him to our display, and he practically melted over the floor. My colleague almost puked when she saw him, and realised what he was after. She was brilliant by following to the letter, the procedure for showing knives to customers, and all was well.

However, what made it all a bit of a freakout, was that the person would not actually touch the knives, and said money is no object, but they are not for him.

So I made sure that the ones shown to him, were the most expensive options... he went away, saying he would be back later.

He came back 20 minutes later, and the exact same thing happened. By this time, we were already strategically putting objects around the store, in case anything kicked off. (We sell some steels (sharpeners for knives) that are the size and weight of a quite large, thin cudgel).

By THIS time, we had freeze-framed the security video, got his picture, and passed it around the area.

He went away again, claiming he would come back a third time. Fortunately, he didn't.

Were we overreacting? Maybe. I found later that I was not the only one of the 3 of us, who were working on plans of defence. One colleague was working out the advantages of weight distribution of our stock, when he threw them (ex-chef, he knows how to throw things), and the other had already fetched her house keys, to fit into her fist, should the need arise.

Were we overreacting? You are fucking right we were. It seems totally incongruous now, but at the time, it was slightly scary, and a little exciting.

Of course, it could have just been a new team-building exercise by our unseen overlords. Or possibly some new methodology along the mystery shopper guidelines... anyway, we learned a couple of things: our supervisor was nowhere to be seen, on either occasion, and the store manager was on a day off. While the latter seems unconnected, it was just as well, because we minions realised, that there would have been panic, if all the staff were there, and the manager was 'in charge'.

Reading this back, it sounds a teeny bit hysterical, but its a basic job (great money, good company), so any excitement that comes along, has some merit.

DANGER at work.

So, back to reality.

Any of youse lot had actual DANGER at work? I mean where the job really shouldn't require it. (If you are in a job where DANGER is actually part of the remit, it doesn't count, but very fair play to you. and stay safe.)

Comment

DANGER at work.

gerontophile wrote: However, what made it all a bit of a freakout, was that the person would not actually touch the knives, and said money is no object, but they are not for him.
      Geron, you may want to check this but isn't buying knives for unidentified others actually illegal in the UK. Or at least in a rather grey area. Because of the bans on various people buying them, i.e. U-18s etc.

You could have used that as a reason not to serve the guy, I'm sure.

Comment

DANGER at work.

Janik wrote:
        Originally posted by gerontophile
        However, what made it all a bit of a freakout, was that the person would not actually touch the knives, and said money is no object, but they are not for him.
        Geron, you may want to check this but isn't buying knives for unidentified others actually illegal in the UK. Or at least in a rather grey area. Because of the bans on various people buying them, i.e. U-18s etc.

You could have used that as a reason not to serve the guy, I'm sure.
        No reason is needed not to serve him.

Just "reserve the right to refuse service without giving a reason".

Operating a shop is only "an invitation to treat" after all.

Comment

DANGER at work.

They have to be sold in sealed packaging, as well, don't they? As carrying a knife in public is an offence, you'd effectively be criminalising anyone who bought any from a shop and tried to carry them home otherwise.

Comment

DANGER at work.

Carrying knives in public is illegal? What do you do if you need to take them someplace to get them sharpened?

Comment

DANGER at work.

It's illegal to possess any bladed or sharply pointed article in public save for a penknife with a blade of 3" or less. It's a defence to prove that you had a good reason or lawful authority for having that implement with you. That 'good reason' covers the taking of knives home from the point of purchase, or taking them to be sharpened. There are also defences to have them with you for use at work, for religious reasons or as part of a national costume.
              I don't think it's an offence to buy a knife for someone under 16, but it is an offence to sell one to someone under 16.

Comment

DANGER at work.

Guy: Absolutely correct. Refusal of sale is fine in any form, assuming it is for reason of ... whatever the fuck you feel like. (You do not need a reason to refuse someone a drink in a bar, for example.)

Rogin: Again, true. However, chefs/cooks like to feel the heft etc, and we supply that need (although loads of our stuff is only available online or in a catalogue, so they get an idea by a similar product.)

Inca: see moocowe. And age-wise, we use 18/21 because of various college courses available nearby.

Janik: Not sure about the legality of that, but as soon as someone asks that question, YOU/I begin to ask other questions.

(On another occasion) Someone wanted a set of knives for their wife's birthday (upgrading...), and as soon as they opened their mouth and knew what different knife types are available (and on occasion, I plead ignorance, just to check...) then the conversation is not as fraught.

Anyway, I just thought it was a story worth laughing about. It was so off-the-wall, that it was worth passing on to you lot. Thanks for your replies.

Comment

DANGER at work.

There's a chap who works at the end of the row of cubicles next to mine who looks like he might go postal one day.

We get along okay, and he often stops by to chat.

Though I'm not so sure that'll spare me if the day ever comes when he decides he's had enough of it all.

In the meantime I'm always making sure I've got a clear exit available.

I go to work every day, not knowing if I'll be coming home that night. I don't say anything to the wife and kids though, so as not to worry them.

Comment

DANGER at work.

Thanks Hugh: THAT's what my second post was about.

I suspect that this may have a link to the Office Annoyances thread, which I am sure you will agree, at least one of our own should have gone full on Lance Armstrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X