Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
    L flat peaches
    Paraguayas! I never saw those in Britain. Very common here.

Comment

I hadn't seen them until a few years ago, but now Morrisons deliver them. My kids prefer them to standard peaches. I hadn't heard them called paraguayas before.

Comment

Often called donut peaches here.

Comment

I've no idea what you're talking about. I thought a peach was a peach.

Comment

Comment

They do look like doughnuts. Never seen them before.

Comment

They are delicious.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                  They do look like doughnuts. Never seen them before.
                  They squirt less than round peaches, apparently.

I wouldn't know, as I only eat fruit and vegetables from northern Germany. Sanctimonious so-and-so, me.

Comment

Yeah, they're crunchier than standard peaches.

Comment

Also called "Saturn Peaches" sometimes. I have a couple in the fridge. It's stone fruit season, which always makes me happy. They're really good fried up with butter and sugar to make them all caramelized and then included in a salad.

Comment

Made mini pizzas for dinner again. This time made of: mini white half pitta bread bases, tomato puree, dried basil, grated mozzarella and cheddar cheese. Optional toppings of sliced black olives, sweetcorn, pineapple or half baby plum tomatoes. Already stuck some in son's lunchbox for tomorrow. Am so grown-up and organised now it hurts.

Comment

Not cooking, but I'm enjoying making my son's lunches more than I thought I would. I'm trying to vary them each day (within the constraints of what he's willing to eat) so that when he gets to proper school next year he can adapt to the school lunches more easily. I'm going to record lunchbox contents here, partly so I can refer back if I run out of ideas.

Monday: cheese sandwich on wholemeal bread, two Quorn picnic eggs, mini packet of raisins, one whole peeled carrot, one banana, one packet of mini gingerbread men

Tuesday: two mini white pitta breads filled with cream cheese, one babybel cheese, mini carrots and cucumber slices, apple slices and grapes, a square of lemon drizzle cake

Wednesday (in fridge ready to go): two mini pizzas, a cheestring, two quorn picnic eggs, black olives, baby plum tomatoes and sweetcorn, satsuma slices, black grapes and dried apricots, raisins, a packet of mini alphabet biscuits

Comment

I think the increase in popularity of flat peaches (here in the UK at least) stems from the same place that has seen pears become a crunchy fruit. A combination of sellers wanting fruit that travels well and customers being afraid, no afraid isn't the right word, and customers being disinclined to risk getting juice on their clothes.

Apples are crunchy (mostly) and pears are, soft and velvety and oh so very juicy.

Comment

Are crunchy pears a thing? Jesus that sounds like nasty unripe pear badness.

Comment

Haven't had a pear in years come to think of it.

Comment

Thursday packed lunch: two rice cakes with strawberry jam, the whites of two boiled eggs (he doesn't like the yolks), three mini new potatoes, some shelled peas and two sticks of cucumber, blueberries and dried apricots, square of lemon drizzle cake.

The nursery workers seem to be very concerned if he doesn't eat all his lunch. I never expect him to eat it all. We eat whatever's left over on the way home.

Comment

I really don't have much food in the house. Ever. I go to the store about every third day and spend about $20 each time.

Comment

My house is stocked as if preparing for Brexit. I'm pretty sure that if we had to, we could survive for a year on the contents of the fridge, freezer and cupboards. Might get scurvy by the end, mind.

Comment

We've started to stock up in case of Brexit. We've only got a fridge freezer so it's tins and packets only.

Comment

I'm almost always buying one dinner at a time. Today is one of the few times I've used the fridge/freezer/cupboard for dinner (lidl pork schnitzel, spuds with roast courgette and "tropical" tomatoes).

Comment

We're not deliberately preparing for Brexit. It's just that my husband thinks we need to do another shop when we run out of fresh meat and my kids think we need another shop if there are no more strawberries or milk or bread. I would happily accept a challenge of seeing how long I could last without buying any more food.

Comment

Friday's packed lunch, I forgot to do it last night and had a mad scramble in the morning. He ended up with: bread sticks with sesame seeds, Quorn scotch eggs, cucumber slices, baby peas, a cheestring, a packet of raisins, a packet of mini gingerbread men, dried raspberries, a banana and half a cinnamon bun pastry.

Dinner tonight, my husband came home with a baguette so I sliced it thinly and did options of: cranberry sauce, goats cheese and salad leaves, cream cheese and cucumber, Branston pickle and cheddar, or tomato salsa and mozzarella.

Comment

We also went blackberry picking and I threw an apple and blackberry crumble together very hurriedly before running out the door to go to yoga.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                                  Friday's packed lunch, I forgot to do it last night and had a mad scramble in the morning. He ended up with: bread sticks with sesame seeds, Quorn scotch eggs, cucumber slices, baby peas, a cheestring, a packet of raisins, a packet of mini gingerbread men, dried raspberries, a banana and half a cinnamon bun pastry.
                                                  That's a feast, not a packed lunch!

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

That's a feast, not a packed lunch!
                                                    Haha! Yes, I do overpack. But I don't expect him to eat it all at lunchtime. After I pick him up he has to walk at least 1.1 miles to his sister's school or the swimming pool, so he eats whatever is leftover while he's walking. Otherwise he whines.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X