Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Briefs Encounter

Or, "How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Thong"*

It's a funny thing, getting old. It changes the way you look at your past, your present and your future. Makes you reassess previous lifestyle choices.

With that in mind, I've been thinking about underwear.

For as long as I've been able to exert the power of my own will (stop that, you 'orrible lot), I've been wearing boxer shorts. Loose cotton ones for summer, more snug jersey ones for the colder months, and a spectacularly ill-advised phase in my early twenties of wearing a succession of silk boxers because my then-girlfriend liked them. I'm shuddering thinking about them (the boxers and the girlfriend).

Just recently, however, I've noticed that the aging process - whilst possibly not immediately visible from my face, which post-shave resembles that of a 15 year old who hasn't quite got the hang of this entire thing yet - some other parts are definitely feeling gravity's pull. I mentioned this to TLMG who just gave me a strange, concerned look and then immediately launched into a series of questions about testicular pain and had I thought about seeing a doctor?

I assured her that no, the fellas are in decent order ta much (remember to check 'em for lumps, fellas), save for a bit lower than I remember them being, and mentioned that I was thinking of buying some briefs to test drive, as it were. Another quizzical look.

"But you've never worn briefs."

"Not strictly true. My mother made sure I was always wearing clean Y-Fronts every day up until I was grown up enough to start making my own pants-based decisions."

"29, then?"

"Very amusing. Droll, one might say. Anyway, yeah. I'm ordering some noodle-benders to try out and I expect you will - as ever - have an opinion."

"No doubt, and I'm not afraid to let you have it."

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, really. Is buying briefs a sure sign of falling into weary middle age, or am I regressing to a time when my mother thought cream Y-fronts with brown trim were an acceptable fashion choice? Stay tuned for the results of my extensive testing as soon as the postman crams his package into my box.

*Not really, obviously. I don't want my fundament flossing, thanks very much.

Briefs Encounter

Actually, I reluctantly moved from briefs to boxers as the years advanced. The latter seem to be much more flattering to the fuller figure.

Comment

Briefs Encounter

These bad boys for me, all year round.

Comfy, soft, keep everything squared away and when I was of a fuller figure than I am now, stopped chaffing n'all.

Comment

Briefs Encounter

Is buying briefs a sure sign of falling into weary middle age
        There are many reasons why Breaking Bad is incredibly shit; one of which is the number of times (almost every episode) the director found excuse to show pathetic, middle aged Walter White in his pathetic, middle aged y-fronts.

Comment

Briefs Encounter

There's no mention of thongs other thna in the opening paragraph.

Comment

Briefs Encounter

Yeah, I know, it was just an excuse to cram another film / pants gag in. Most unlike me.

Comment

Briefs Encounter

Apart from the buttons and the writing, hobbes' choice of underpants is excellent.

As a youngster, I had to wear hand-me-down underpants from one of my cousins, who was about five years older than me. He obviously had something he shouldn't have had in his nether regions, and he passed it on to me.

Thus I had pubic lice or some other bloody vermin downstairs before I actually had any pubes.

Comment

Briefs Encounter

You should have had them washed first.

Comment

Briefs Encounter

How does that fit in with your red pants for crazy golf scheme?

Comment

Briefs Encounter

Hobbes' pants have buttons! I struggle enough with button fly jeans, nowadays opting to leave them open most of the time. The thought of having two layers of buttons is beyond me. I'd have to head to the loo to start unpacking a full quarter of an hour before needing to pee.

Comment

Briefs Encounter

Doesn't everyone have buttons?

Comment

Briefs Encounter

You can get away with briefs if you're the sort of person who appears in Calvin Klein adverts actually modelling them (we're talking designer style ones/stretch briefs, not granddad y-front ones), but yer man in the street more often than not ends up looking like Mr Cranston up there.

Not a big fan of the baggy cotton boxer shorts though, they seem to be almost as bad tbh, and must be a nightmare in terms of getting bunched up?

Comment

Briefs Encounter

Not baggy, loose. Looser than the jersey ones, at any rate.

Comment

Briefs Encounter

You should have had them washed first.

I'd have need a flame-thrower or a third world war or something, there were so many of them. I think the underpants weren't actually underpants at all; they were underpant-shaped nests made up of trillions of willy vermin.

How does that fit in with your red pants for crazy golf scheme?

The red underpants are to be worn on the outside. You can wear what you like under your trousers.

Unless the local authorities say otherwise, which wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Comment

Briefs Encounter

Indeed. I would expect a visit from the unterhosenamt

Comment

Briefs Encounter

TonTon wrote: Doesn't everyone have buttons?
                                Mine have a sort of slit. There's a better word than that for it, I am sure.

Comment

Briefs Encounter

and a spectacularly ill-advised phase in my early twenties of wearing a succession of silk boxers because my then-girlfriend liked them. I'm shuddering thinking about them (the boxers and the girlfriend)

What a coincidence! I dated her, too. At the same age. My condolences.

Comment

Briefs Encounter

Condolences returned, she was a fucking nightmare.

Comment

Briefs Encounter

Aye, but some of the stuff she told me about you two was absolutely hilarious.

Comment

Briefs Encounter

They sent the wrong size. BASTARDS.

Comment

Briefs Encounter

Comment

Briefs Encounter

These, in an assortment of colourways.

Neat, containing, reliable, comfy without being baggy.

That's not my stomach, BTW. Mine's far better.

Comment

Briefs Encounter

I went for a jersey short but stupidly went for the button fly in bulk and ended up with shit loads of pants where my junk hung out all day long.

Now, however, I have found the best underwear ever.

However, I had an operation on the boys a couple of years ago and the wife had to buy me a multipack of brief briefs to keep everything snug. As I am a miserly Welshman, of course, I have never thrown them away. A fact that my wife regularly and vocally regrets

Comment

Briefs Encounter

Did you just never do the button(s) up, then?

Comment

Briefs Encounter

Yes, it's just that they never held.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X