Bigotry in advertising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bigotry in advertising

general Phillip Sheridan from cavan. though he seems to have gone to great lengths to disguise his irish heritage during his lifetime
    A measure of his success in doing so being that a "well regarded" graduate in American History of a "well regarded" university (that just qualified for the ECAC finals in ice hockey) was completely unaware that Sheridan was from Cavan until reading Berba's post.

Comment

Bigotry in advertising

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: the connaught rangers, who helped put the ire in empire
      It's all in the name.

Comment

Bigotry in advertising

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote:
        Originally posted by TonTon
        Originally posted by MsD
        being from poor Irish immigrant stock I'm not personally big on imperialist guilt.
        To be fair, the Irish haven't been white for that long.
        Hah, we tried to turn the empire Catholic, and not necessarily the liberation theology kind. and my father's maternal granduncles served in the connaught rangers, who helped put the ire in empire during the zulu war and the first boer war. They considered it a better option to starving, but we definitely had our own slice of the empire.

Also the inventor of the phrase, "the only good indian is a dead one, was general Phillip Sheridan from cavan. though he seems to have gone to great lengths to disguise his irish heritage during his lifetime. (if not inventor, then certainly the one who got credit for popularizing it)
        Ok, to rephrase, personally, given my formative experience of being raised as a member of an underclass, I have no ingrained sense of having a stake in the System nor intergenerational guilt (or whatever the German word is again), and that wouldn't change even if my mystery grandfather turned out to have been The Grand Wizard of Kilfinane.

Comment

Bigotry in advertising

laverte wrote: I'm accused of sanctimoniousness a lot. It's a flaw I'm not good at recognising or nipping in the bud. I'm sorry for the belligerence of my earlier post, it wasn't necessary.
          I'm sorry I got in such a huff.

Comment

Bigotry in advertising

A measure of his success in doing so being that a "well regarded" graduate in American History of a "well regarded" university (that just qualified for the ECAC finals in ice hockey) was completely unaware that Sheridan was from Cavan until reading Berba's post.

It's not exactly clear when or where he was born, but as a young man on the make in the Union Army, in a time with a distinctly nativist hue, he was very keen to stress his american birth. A task made easier by the almost total non-existence of records at the time. He came to Ireland at one point, and stayed in the shelbourne, and gave a couple of interviews where he basically disavowed much of his connection to Ireland, going so far as to claim that he thought his parents had emigrated from Westmeath.

Now that was going a little too far.

Ok, to rephrase, personally, given my formative experience of being raised as a member of an underclass, I have no ingrained sense of having a stake in the System nor intergenerational guilt (or whatever the German word is again), and that wouldn't change even if my mystery grandfather turned out to have been The Grand Wizard of Kilfinane

I think you've described the position of an awful lot of english people there as well. The fruits of empire are to be seen in the grand victorian buildings, and the large stately houses dotted all around the UK. I wonder how many of the Child prostitutes of the east end of victorian london were grateful that they could ply their trade in the port that served as the centrepoint of a global empire.

Kilfinnan is where Kanye West and Kim Kardashian started their honeymoon, but then moved because they didn't have good enough mobile reception.

meanwhile, This article is predicated on the widespread Irish belief that Uncle Ben was the guy who owned the company

Comment

Bigotry in advertising

That link's very funny, TAB.

Comment

Bigotry in advertising

Waterford Whispers News is a great site. It has a slightly harder edge to it than say the Daily Mash or the Onion. Though sometimes it crosses over from satire to Hard news reporting

Comment

Bigotry in advertising

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote:
                  I think you've described the position of an awful lot of english people there as well. The fruits of empire are to be seen in the grand victorian buildings, and the large stately houses dotted all around the UK. I wonder how many of the Child prostitutes of the east end of victorian london were grateful that they could ply their trade in the port that served as the centrepoint of a global empire.
                  My family and I had particular and specific shit for being Irish in England, in the 1960s and 1970s rather than in the Victorian era, so I was speaking for myself, hence the use of the word personally etc.

Comment

Bigotry in advertising

I think my point was meant to be taken as complementary rather than conflicting.

Comment

Bigotry in advertising

OK.

Comment

Bigotry in advertising

This is Thomas Neger, who runs his own company (and is the grandson of the considerably more famous Ernst Neger, who invented the logo).

Comment

Bigotry in advertising

86 percent of readers think demands to change the logo have "gone too far" (auf Deutsch).

What a shock that Neger's grandfather was massive in Mainz' Karnevalkultur.

Comment

Working...
                          X