No announcement yet.

Is Paris Burning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The whole roof certainly, in fact it looks like it's already all gone. Probably all the stained glass as well, according to an expert as much from fighting the fire as the fire itself (thermal shock from rapid cooling). But the main vault is stone, so there is a good chance that will survive and by doing so protect much of the contents.

Comment

All else aside, this is really highlighting the asinine nature of rolling news coverage. Yvette Cooper has just been on the BBC news - being an MP on holiday - and the anchor has asked, in all apparent seriousness, if she knows what started the fire.

It's actually quite anger-inducing.

It doesn't make me angry; I just don't think that it's very good. The attempts to say something, or have anyone say something, whilst repeating images on a loop is just rather poor. Either just show the pictures live and interrupt them when there's something pertinent to add, or discuss other news events but come back to the big event when there is anything to update us on.

Alternatively, we the viewers just need just to dip in and out.
      Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 15-04-2019, 19:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
        All else aside, this is really highlighting the asinine nature of rolling news coverage. Yvette Cooper has just been on the BBC news - being an MP on holiday - and the anchor has asked, in all apparent seriousness, if she knows what started the fire.

It's actually quite anger-inducing.
        I just watched about 4 minutes of CNN's coverage, which was utterly assinine, filled with portentious sounding rhetorical questions that mean nothing and are full of bonkers non-sequitors "In this, the most holy of weeks for the catholic church, we have to ask 'How will the Vatican respond', just after the Pope was in Africa calling for peace". And "How will the people of Paris react, when this, the place where they normally congregate it times of crisis, is no longer the place they can go..."

Fuck me. It's not quite anger inducing. It's just a reminder that a news story can't fill up time forever, and what a fucking ridiculous idea 24 hour news is.

Comment

They should really turn these stories over to the sport talk guys. They can fill 30 minutes about absolutely nothing, yet never say the same thing twice. It's a remarkable skill to have.

Comment

Some evangelical will be along soon to blame the gays.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
              Sky News' "French correspondent", Dominic, apparenty can't speak a word of French. He's rushing around trying to get vox pops from onlookers asking them "do you speak English?". In English.
              It seems like a reasonable enough question to ask people prior to interviewing them on an English-language television station, to me. I could have had the Argentine woman footballer who was suing her club (the one who was reported worldwide) on my podcast a month or so ago, but she doesn't speak English so putting the episode together would have been a right pain in the arse, and that's without doing it live. The fact I can speak Spanish is entirely irrelevant.

Comment

She . must have a very good pressPR person.

I can't imagine they would have taken a vox pop from Corbyn.

The 13th century stained glass windows have gone.

So very beautiful.

It looks as it won't survive

This thread is interesting

https://twitter.com/maggiekb1/status/1117874743711948800

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                  According to the BBC report, some people of that ilk has already blamed it on the 1905 separation of church and state in France and a French bishop questioning the veracity of parts of the new testament.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                    Well, this evangelical would like to know if you can account for your whereabouts this afternoon.

Comment

Your time, my time, or French time?

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/paulmasonnews/status/1117869961836290048?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Reasonable enough considering it's from Mason, but I still don't want to hear from the cunt.

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
                            Reasonable enough considering it's from Mason, but I still don't want to hear from the cunt.
                            Good evening to you, too.

Comment

Towers are fine and all the art was saved, appaz. Could have been worse.

Comment

Do British media not know that the spire was a 19th c fantasy?

Comment

Does the British media know anything about anything? Particularly foreign stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                    They should really turn these stories over to the sport talk guys. They can fill 30 minutes about absolutely nothing, yet never say the same thing twice. It's a remarkable skill to have.
                                    Is Notre Dame an elite cathedral? How does this fire impact its legacy? How does this impact the Connor McDavid situation? We’ve got Bob in Saugas in the line.

Comment

'Hey guys. Long time listener, first time caller. The last time the Leafs won the cup, that cathedral was only...what...700 years old? Anyway, my point is...'

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                        Do British media not know that the spire was a 19th c fantasy?

Sorry ursus, can you explain your point?

Comment

Un pompier has been hurt quite badly, apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                            Un pompier has been hurt quite badly, apparently.

Sad to hear that but I'm not surprised. They looked to be working in particularly hazardous conditions.

Comment

NS, the British commentary I've seen and heard seems to be fixated on the fact Notre Dame is 700 years old. The Mason piece seemed to me to echo that.

Which is correct to a point, but it has also been the subject of serious degradation (especially during and after 1789) and reconstruction over the centuries, and the spire that burned was built by Viollet le Duc in the 19th century.

As MsD notes, there are now numerous French press reports of one of the firefighters having been very seriously injured.

Comment

Any word yet on the organ? It's the biggest one in France.

Comment

There are conflicting reports on both the organ and the windows.

I think we may not know for sure until the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                    NS, the British commentary I've seen and heard seems to be fixated on the fact Notre Dame is 700 years old. The Mason piece seemed to me to echo that.

Which is correct to a point, but it has also been the subject of serious degradation (especially during and after 1789) and reconstruction over the centuries, and the spire that burned was built by Viollet le Duc in the 19th century.

As MsD notes, there are now numerous French press reports of one of the firefighters having been very seriously injured.
                                                    Er, well I suspect that most media reports will refer to it as a 700- or 800-years-old building rather than detailing the more relatively recent additions, won't they? I mean, the latter point isn't hugely relevant. If the spire was only 10-years-old or something it might be fair to point that out and suggest that it wasn't around long enough to engender much affection, but it's been a feature of Notre Dame's profile for as long as any of the onlookers who were distraught when it fell can remember.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X