• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terry Pratchett. RIP

Has died at the age of 66.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31858156

Terry Pratchett. RIP

Oh no no no, this is awful news. He'd confronted the struggle with Alzheimer's so bravely and publicly, and despite its ongoing effects he had still seemed all right in himself when appearing in the media really quite recently. To learn that it's claimed him so soon is terrible. RIP to a brilliant writer and humorist, someone who's made me laugh more than just about anyone on this earth.

Comment

Terry Pratchett. RIP

Damn, that's ruined my day. Am halfway through his last book too...not his best, but his best was amazing, funny and profound.

Comment

Terry Pratchett. RIP

YOU HAVE BEEN EXPECTING ME, HAVEN'T YOU?

Comment

Terry Pratchett. RIP

Velvet Android wrote: Oh no no no, this is awful news. He'd confronted the struggle with Alzheimer's so bravely and publicly, and despite its ongoing effects he had still seemed all right in himself when appearing in the media really quite recently. To learn that it's claimed him so soon is terrible. RIP to a brilliant writer and humorist, someone who's made me laugh more than just about anyone on this earth.
          Well said, VA.

Comment

Terry Pratchett. RIP

Rogin: I got it.

Desperately sad news, even if it has been inevitable for a while now.

What was amazing was how his books evolved over the years from fairly standard sci-fi fare to an ongoing critique of 21st century earth, cunningly hidden inside books ostensibly about trolls, elves and goblins.

Comment

Terry Pratchett. RIP

https://twitter.com/terryandrob

Comment

Terry Pratchett. RIP

Very sad news. Though I knew of his illness, I didn't expect it to take him so soon.

I was never a Discworld obsessive like some of my friends, but the ones I have read I found very funny and inventive.

Comment

Terry Pratchett. RIP

Bah! I've just started a thread over on 'Books' for this!

So much for your specificity!

Comment

Terry Pratchett. RIP

THAT'S AWFUL, SUCH A FUNNY WRITER, SUCH A SHAME. RIP.

I know that's someone else's gag but it seems appropriate. I'm also not sure which is now the "right" thread so I'll put this on the other one too.

Comment

Terry Pratchett. RIP

So when you die of alzheimer's, what kills you?

Comment

Terry Pratchett. RIP

TonTon wrote: So when you die of alzheimer's, what kills you?
                        My mum died from Alzheimer's just over a year ago. She pretty much shut down, lost her swallow reflex which left her unable to eat or drink and effectively died of malnutrition after being in a coma like state for about a week.

Comment

Terry Pratchett. RIP

I hope it was his choice.

Comment

Terry Pratchett. RIP

I don't normally get depressed about famous people dying, but this one actually hurts.

The joy he has given me through the years has been unestimable. Was actually reading 'The Long Mars' when I heard the news, and I thought it was fitting. I hope he hasn't left it open ended (selfish? Damned right.)

Say Hi to Susan for me.

Comment

Terry Pratchett. RIP

There's meant to be a fourth all ready to go Gero, I gathered from looking at his website briefly earlier before it crashed — just about the most recent previous news on there was that the manuscript of The Long Utopia was back from the publishers for proofing, or similar.

And I should add that I concur entirely with what you said there, by the way.

Comment

Terry Pratchett. RIP

Well, that is some sort of good news anyway VA.

Lucy, I heard on the Beeb, that it was at home, surrounded by family members, and a cat (Shi-mi?) asleep on his leg.

His death was apparently unassisted.

Comment

Terry Pratchett. RIP

evilC wrote: Bah! I've just started a thread over on 'Books' for this!

So much for your specificity!
                                  OK. It's a fair cop. I'll come quietly, guv'.

Comment

Terry Pratchett. RIP

So when you die of alzheimer's, what kills you?

My mum died from Alzheimer's just over a year ago. She pretty much shut down, lost her swallow reflex which left her unable to eat or drink and effectively died of malnutrition after being in a coma like state for about a week.
                                    My mother also passed away from Alzheimer's recently - the chain of events was exactly as gjw100 has described.

RIP, Terry Pratchett, of course.

Comment

Working...
                                    X