Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emploment Law and U-18s. Advice please.

Right the good folk of OTF.

My neighbour’s 17 year old daughter yesterday ‘resigned’ from a well known Pizza restaurant that are a bit express apparently.

She was invited to a ‘Probation Review with Concerns’ despite her probation period being over. She was told that her probation period had been extended, but there is no written evidence of this.

It transpires that my neighbour’s daughter (ND) was working front of house when a family came in asking to be seated. They were informed that there would be a 40 minute wait for food (not every Express) whereupon the mother of the family replied that they do not food, just coffee. N D replied, politely, that PE is a restaurant and not a coffee shop and that they can’t be seated while other potential customers want food. It turns out the mother of the family is a big cheese in the company up for an audit.

ND is the only employee ever to score 100% on a secret shopper visit and has been employee of the month twice in the 6 months she’s been there. Her duties include front of house and service.

During her review it was suggested to her that there had been issues around her front of house work. There is no written evidence of any issues around her capability.

She was interviewed in a public space surrounded by other employees.

She was not informed of the possible outcome of the review, i.e. termination of contract.

She was given only one day to prepare for the ‘review’.

Mum wasn’t allowed in the ‘review’ (I get that, but ND had no time to ask anybody else).

The ‘evidence’ she was given seemed to concern other areas of the restaurant that she is not involved in and concerns groups of people and not her individually.

Now my experience as a workplace rep is with crusty old bastards like myself and if this happened in my workplace it would scream unfair dismissal.

While I’m aware that 16-17 years olds do lack certain employment rights, surely this bunch of cunts and the big cheese shouldn’t be able to get away with this.

I thought I’d ask anyone with any knowledge/experience of Under - 18 employment practise what they think before suggesting my neighbours visit a solicitor.

No idea Nick but good luck with this, it stinks.

Comment

Since she appears to have been fired for implementing company policy I would make as much fuss as possible. go to the press go to the local paper- blog about it -shame Luke Johnson still own Pizza Express (theunpleasant right wing chap)?

Perhaps some outraged supporters should go in occupy tables think about ordering chang their minds and just order coffee ?

Comment

Indeed, but I only have ND’s word that she was polite about it. I do believe she would be, but it’s her word against the big cheese (and family).

So that’s why I’m looking at procedure.

Going to the local rag has been discussed, but mum wants to see where they stand.

Comment

My educated guess is they've fucked it here. And if they haven't, she should kick up a very loud fuss anyway.

Comment

The extension of probation bit (without writing) sounds very dodgy to me. As does all the other stuff about dismissal without following proper and written procedure.

Comment

Was ND ever given a contract? If so, before or after her probation period. (Anyone read it?)

How is she employed in a Pizza Express with a liquor licence? That IS an issue. (Although probably irrellevantnt. Not important.)

Probably no help, but that's all I could think of. Hope it goes well.

Comment

It is horrible of them but I'd caution against making a public fuss that gets nd in the papers as a difficult employee at 17. She has an entire career ahead of her and at the moment resigning from there has very little effect on that. Even if she won for unfair dismissal the monetary award or remediation would be negligible versus the potential harm of a google relating her to this in the eyes of future employers.

Comment

It all sounds a bit like Korea air to me.

Comment

Working...
                  X