Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why don't we take humour more seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amor de Cosmos wrote: If "seriously" is the key term then I guess one reason might be that comedy doesn't ask to be taken seriously. It's part of its definition really, funny is the opposite of serious. So if the people doing it don't encourage that type of analysis then it's less likely to happen. Which, of course, is different from saying it shouldn't
    I am not sure that that is entirely true, AdC. I wouldn't be interested to know what tratorello thinks but, during my limited time, I found comedians an entirely serious bunch who took their art equally seriously. Obviously, many didn't take this attitude onto the stage with them but most struck as the sorts that would be quite happy to have their work analysed and dissected.

Comment

On an individual basis you could well be right. There are at least a couple of background issues, regarding humour in general, that might suggest otherwise though.

One is the belief that comedy stops being funny the moment you start to dissect it. I can understand comedians not wanting to talk about their work for this reason alone.

The other, less specific but probably more important, is that comedy traditionally speaks truth to power and gets away with it. This has been true for centuries. The carnival clown and court jester could call the King a prick — or worse — and get away with it. Comedians push similar limits today, but if they began making the same points in a serious context, people — including their audience — may be turned off.

Comment

WOM wrote: No Last of The Summer Wine, eh?
        Scroll down.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:
          Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos
          If "seriously" is the key term then I guess one reason might be that comedy doesn't ask to be taken seriously. It's part of its definition really, funny is the opposite of serious. So if the people doing it don't encourage that type of analysis then it's less likely to happen. Which, of course, is different from saying it shouldn't
          I am not sure that that is entirely true, AdC. I wouldn't be interested to know what tratorello thinks but, during my limited time, I found comedians an entirely serious bunch who took their art equally seriously. Obviously, many didn't take this attitude onto the stage with them but most struck as the sorts that would be quite happy to have their work analysed and dissected.
          Most comedians, in my experience (and I include myself in this generalisation) take comedy WAY too seriously and often elevate comedy to an art form with "entertainment" and "populism" becoming dirty words.

Comment

If anyone wants to listen to comedians talking about comedy forensically then I can highly recommend Stuart Goldsmith's excellent Comedian's Comedian podcasts.

http://www.comedianscomedian.com/

Comment

Apologies, tratorello, this

I wouldn't be interested to know what tratorello thinks but, during my limited time, I found comedians an entirely serious bunch who took their art equally seriously.
              should, of course, have read

I would be interested to know what tratorello thinks but, during my limited time, I found comedians an entirely serious bunch who took their art equally seriously.

Comment

I've seen the good Trat in action on a number of occasions, and he is an excellent practitioner of one of the hardest of comedy forms. I also assume his support of Ipswich is part of the act.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: Apologies, tratorello, this

I wouldn't be interested to know what tratorello thinks but, during my limited time, I found comedians an entirely serious bunch who took their art equally seriously.
                  should, of course, have read

I would be interested to know what tratorello thinks but, during my limited time, I found comedians an entirely serious bunch who took their art equally seriously.
                  Haha, I didn't even spot that it said "wouldn't" rather than "would", which probably says something about the ego of a performer and assuming that, of course, everyone wants to hear your opinion on a subject.

Comment

Lucy Waterman wrote: I've seen the good Trat in action on a number of occasions, and he is an excellent practitioner of one of the hardest of comedy forms. I also assume his support of Ipswich is part of the act.
                    Thank you LW, "Did somebody spam you?" is still my favourite ever heckle putdown/comedy moment.

Comment

I've not read all of this thread, tbh, but I fail to see how comedy films (for example) 'haven't' received critical appraisal at all.

I mean, there's been some serious w*nkery written about Woody Allen's oeuvre over the years - and I'm a fan (of his movies).

Comment

tratorello wrote:
                        Originally posted by Bored of Education
                        Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos
                        If "seriously" is the key term then I guess one reason might be that comedy doesn't ask to be taken seriously. It's part of its definition really, funny is the opposite of serious. So if the people doing it don't encourage that type of analysis then it's less likely to happen. Which, of course, is different from saying it shouldn't
                        Most comedians, in my experience (and I include myself in this generalisation) take comedy WAY too seriously and often elevate comedy to an art form with "entertainment" and "populism" becoming dirty words.
                        Are you a comedian? Say something funny.

Comment

How much are you going to pay him in return?

Comment

Pat McGatt wrote:
                            Are you a comedian? Say something funny.
                            Something funny.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: I've not read all of this thread, tbh, but I fail to see how comedy films (for example) 'haven't' received critical appraisal at all.

I mean, there's been some serious w*nkery written about Woody Allen's oeuvre over the years - and I'm a fan (of his movies).
                              Are Woody Allen's films out and out comedy? I suppose a fair few of them are so your point stands.

Comment

Yes, they flaming well are - and how very dare you...

...oh, right, okay.

Comment

I had never heard Allen's standup routines until a couple of years ago, but they were exceptionally good. Very '60s Greenwich Village vibe, but really intelligent comedy.

I've still never heard a word Lenny Bruce has said, but his reputation is second to none. Never heard a Redd Foxx party album either, but those are apparently something to stand you on your ear.

Comment

tratorello wrote: If anyone wants to listen to comedians talking about comedy forensically then I can highly recommend Stuart Goldsmith's excellent Comedian's Comedian podcasts.

I tried listening to one in the car this morning, but it sounded like two guys with a cassette deck inside a metal filing cabinet. Are they all that poorly recorded? Maybe I'll try later with headphones. I went back to listening to Maron instead.

Comment

Agreement is very disarming on OTF.

Comment

You are correct.

Comment

WOM wrote:
                                          Originally posted by tratorello
                                          If anyone wants to listen to comedians talking about comedy forensically then I can highly recommend Stuart Goldsmith's excellent Comedian's Comedian podcasts.

I tried listening to one in the car this morning, but it sounded like two guys with a cassette deck inside a metal filing cabinet. Are they all that poorly recorded? Maybe I'll try later with headphones. I went back to listening to Maron instead.
                                          Which one was that?

Usually the sound quality is pretty good, certainly good enough for me to listen to them through my crappy Apple headphones when I'm out walking the dog.

Comment

Working...
                                          X